Your Favorite Painters in History

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am the son of a professional artist and the husband of another. My parents' house looks like a museum. My mom was mentored by artists such as Joe De Yong and Grace Harvey. She taught art at the LA Art Institute with Grace.

I was always fascinated by a lot of Joe's early western character mock ups for movie sets.
iu

He was a true cowboy and hung out with the likes of Tom Mix, Gene Autry, Charles Russell, and Wyatt Earp. I only met Joe once in the early 70s shortly before his death. But just sitting around listening to him talk about the old west and early Hollyweird was fascinating. He had some great photos and artwork that became my mom's on his passing. My mom also helped with the illustrating of his biography.

I personally have always been a big Toulouse Lautrec fan. I'm not even really sure why. Maybe just the gritty nature of the way he captured people.
iu

My wife loves Van Gogh. We had the opportunity to go to the Van Gogh exhibit at the Getty several years ago and as a bonus for me, they had a couple Lautrecs on exhibit. My wife's favorite Van Goghs are Irises and Sunflowers. I'd post pictures but I think everyone has seen them many times.

Here are a couple of my mom's pieces:
cc123d0e200d8731c3d42ce8bb2343dc.jpg

fota-2012-vel-miller-booth-horse-statue.jpg

ashley-and-her-cat-vel-miller.jpg

And my wife's:
iu

276171297_5165426056822457_8035570225158801717_n.jpg

220468225_4365332883498449_8019517246365414316_n.jpg
Your Mom and your wife are very talented.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
OH, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Leonardo Da Vinci! He was not only a painter, but a brilliant - if very procrastinating - man who was far ahead of his time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very cool thread!
My favorite painting, is less about the painting and more about its significance
"The Wedding Feast at Cana" by Veronese is amazing. Not because of any of its detail, just that it is huge, takes up an entire wall and yet nobody pays any attention to it. And "nobody" looks at it because they are too busy being 20-40 deep, just to get a glimpse of a tiny picture of some little lady who's encased behind glass....
1680110214805.png

Nsps4Z8X8awKbXdeDv2ldKCt607l9d71P-B1Td29bs4.jpg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As for favorite painter?
Has to be Salvador Dali, hands down. Dude was so far ahead of his time!
1680110527708.jpeg

1680110606074.jpeg

1680110628266.jpeg

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Alright, I guess I'll be the knuckle dragger amongst you enlightened individuals. I've always been a huge Frank Frazetta fan.

This is probably one of his most famous paintings.
frazetta-death-dealer2.jpg

He also did some cover work for the John Carter of Mars series.
frank_frazetta_aprincessofmars.jpg

Supposedly he was a terrible procrastinator and would wait until the day before his deadline to do the paintings. Because the paints were still wet in the morning he would stick them in his oven to dry out. Unfortunately, that would cause the canvas to curl, so he would take a damp cloth and wipe the back until it straightened back out. I don't remember where I read that or how true/realistic it is. I could probably dig it up again.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I've always been partial to the impressionists, particularly Renoir, Monet and Van Gaugh.

I also am a fan of Chagall.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Some really beautiful work shown here.

One guy I never understood was, Andy Warhol.
I still think his work is garbage.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Alright, I guess I'll be the knuckle dragger amongst you enlightened individuals. I've always been a huge Frank Frazetta fan.

This is probably one of his most famous paintings. View attachment 59307

He also did some cover work for the John Carter of Mars series.
View attachment 59308

Supposedly he was a terrible procrastinator and would wait until the day before his deadline to do the paintings. Because the paints were still wet in the morning he would stick them in his oven to dry out. Unfortunately, that would cause the canvas to curl, so he would take a damp cloth and wipe the back until it straightened back out. I don't remember where I read that or how true/realistic it is. I could probably dig it up again.
I'm not a snob! lol. I read the complete collection of Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian series (multiple books) MANY times, well before the movies. Franzetta art work was on the cover of many of those books.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'm not a snob! lol. I read the complete collection of Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian series (multiple books) MANY times, well before the movies. Franzetta art work was on the cover of many of those books.
And on every, Bitchin' Van, in the '70's.

Frank is a legend

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Always thought WWII Bomber nose art was cool

Gil Elvgren has a bunch of Pin Up girl art I like as well

gil1.jpg

gil.jpg

gil2.jpg

gil3.jpg

gil4.jpg

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
I’m fortunate enough to be a member of both the National Gallery and the Wallace Collection, so I get to see many wonderful paintings on a regular basis.

It’s nigh-on impossible to pick just one, but Titian’s Perseus And Andromeda is amongst my favourites.

IMG_6895.jpeg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will admit that I have partied in SF many times, starting when I was stationed at Moffett in the early 90s and multiple times during Fleet Week. And honestly it surprised me during the Fleet Weeks that I rarely paid for a drink, as we were required to hit the town in our dress uniforms and the city was very good to us.

But yes the stain that is the shitters is like a filthy residue in their bars even while under the influence of copious amounts of adult beverages.
Last time I was in Frisco for fleet week was 1987. you must be a young punk, groovin' to Nirvana....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Last time I was in Frisco for fleet week was 1987. you must be a young punk, groovin' to Nirvana....
Last one was around 2005 I think. Or was it 2015. :laugh2:

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Absolutely Norman Rockwell for me. Pics of his have already been posted. My second favorite is Shag. I love this mid-century modern, beatnik style.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230510_130535_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230510_130535_Google.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 25

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I found this guy a month or so ago… and just went to grab a link to the painting below…. As it turns out he just passed away.

RIP Leonid Afremov

I love the colors in his paintings.

MELODY-OF-THE-NIGHT.jpg