Your Controversial Rams Takes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agree it was Vermeil's decision, but he didn't think it through. Hasty reaction over a handful of days. Allowed himself to be persuaded that winning the Super Bowl was enough, he should quit while on top, nothing else to prove, he was getting old (65 or so isn't that old!), Martz was next in line, thought he was being unselfish, etc. He neglected to fully consider his own passion for coaching.

Vermeil imo is one of the greatest coaches ever. The only guy to win coach of the year at every level- high school, junior college, college, pro. What he did with UCLA was remarkable. Beating No. 1 Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. Brought the Eagles and the Rams back from oblivion to the Super Bowl.

Bottom line: Vermeil should have stayed with the Rams and that 2001 Super Bowl team should have won two more championships.
I will always believe that Shaw and Ziggy falling all over themselves to lock Martz up as the successor pissed Vermiel off. And the way things went down, with the team finally rising after they added Martz, probably had both those idiots thinking he was the secret sauce.

Of course Martz deserves all the cred in the world for the GSoT too. But he also benefitted greatly from the roster that was painstakingly built by Vermiel in spite of two idiots in the front office. Fact is the Rams couldn't find their ass with either hand when it came to personnel prior to Vermiel's hire, and immediately after he left they went right back to that level of incompetence.

What they should have done is let Martz get hired away and locked Vermiel up, i.e. made him feel wanted and properly valued. But they couldn't even get that shit right. Or bring Vermiel in as GM or something and have him rebuild the front office and scouting. I'll bet he would have done a great job on that front as well, as he is quality. But our problem was Georgia and her need to have that penny pinching piece of shit running her front office.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I will always believe that Shaw and Ziggy falling all over themselves to lock Martz up as the successor pissed Vermiel off. And the way things went down, with the team finally rising after they added Martz, probably had both those idiots thinking he was the secret sauce.

Of course Martz deserves all the cred in the world for the GSoT too. But he also benefitted greatly from the roster that was painstakingly built by Vermiel in spite of two idiots in the front office. Fact is the Rams couldn't find their ass with either hand when it came to personnel prior to Vermiel's hire, and immediately after he left they went right back to that level of incompetence.

What they should have done is let Martz get hired away and locked Vermiel up, i.e. made him feel wanted and properly valued. But they couldn't even get that shit right. Or bring Vermiel in as GM or something and have him rebuild the front office and scouting. I'll bet he would have done a great job on that front as well, as he is quality. But our problem was Georgia and her need to have that penny pinching piece of shit running her front office.
Martz was a play designer who was clueless as a coach. Georgia was... well, we know who Georgia was.

Vermeil was a great coach who understood everything about coaching football--including which players could and would really play, how to teach, and how to inspire a team to work its ass off to be great.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah. What Vermiel did was amazing when you consider the conditions he did it in.

In Philly he built a great team without a lot of draft capital, and in StL he built a great team in spite of two morons constantly second guessing him and playing up the local media against him. Just can't say enough about the dude, I'll always love him for what he did for us.

tempests

Hall of Fame

The Rams were the best version of themselves when Vermeil was the coach and Martz was the OC. It's too bad it was only for one year but at least they made the most of that year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I have posted many times on this what goes around comes around. The expansion committee of the 90's had the Rams CFO John Shaw chairing that committee and he realized the amount of money that was available after the NFL decided on Carolina & Jacksonville, leaving Baltimore, St. Louis & Memphis out.

Shaw felt Los Angeles did not have passionate fans and wanted the Rams to relocate to Baltimore because in Baltimore on Sunday all there was to do was watch football. However, Baltimore did not have a Stadium in place and it would not be ready so quick so they turned to St. Louis, who led by former Senator Thomas Eagleton, threw a ton of money at the Rams to ensure they had a team in the new dome they were constructing. John Shaw had them put in the clause the stadium had to remain in the top tier because originally all the Rams wanted was the CVC to pay for janitorial service during the season, the CVC denied, but accepted the upper tier stadium clause because it cost nothing.

Fast Forward as the NFL asked Stan Kroenke to chair the Los Angeles Committee to find an owner for Los Angeles and thus, what goes around comes around. You can't make this stuff up.
The bummer in this... and I mean this sincerely... is that the Stl fans got screwed.
While they probably blame Kroenke and the NFL.. it's Georgia's fault this all happened. Cash-poor, greedy owner leveraging the property for a quick payout just set them up for another future move.

She should've sold the team in the 90s.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

What are we saying if the referees actually called the Super Bowl against the Patriots properly?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Agreed, but he was her only source of revenue and she knew it was the best investment to have. We all wanted Georgia to sell.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Cant believe it has taken me this long to share my controversial take. I'm sure many will agree and few will disagree. Here it is, Georgia was a murderous bitch that purposely ran the team into the ground.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cant believe it has taken me this long to share my controversial take. I'm sure many will agree and few will disagree. Here it is, Georgia was a murderous bitch that purposely ran the team into the ground.
I'm not sure she did it on purpose but all she really cared about was Shaw getting her 20 million guaranteed every year. At least from what I remember about the beech.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe but I blame a lot of problems on Blythe during the regular season too.

Not trying to say Goff wasn't a problem either but I was just pointing out look at what Stafford did with Kolone and Evans in there.

And damn - I really wanted Creed Humphrey to replace Blythe

My controversial statement on this is ...

If we had Creed Humphrey as our center, we win it all in 2020

And I await the Not So Sures - but I stand by this statement

you have to laugh at the irony of that statement when we won the Super Bowl with Stafford and......Brian Allen...

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
gotta disagree, all time worst QB

1. Trent Dilfer

Trent Dilfer celebrates a Baltimore Ravens touchdown in Super Bowl XXXV
Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images
The Super Bowl MVP award often goes to the winning quarterback by default. Trent Dilfer was the test case where his performance was so bad they couldn't justify it. Dilfer was (if we're being generous) a game manager who rode a historically good defense to a Super Bowl XXXV win in his only season with the Baltimore Ravens. Improbably, he did throw one TD pass in that game, but 12 completions out of 25 attempts isn't exactly lighting the world on fire and probably angered his receivers.

train
But remember he took over for Tony Banks. Would you rather have Banks or Dilfer leading that team? Not that it mattered much with their D

Tano

Legend
you have to laugh at the irony of that statement when we won the Super Bowl with Stafford and......Brian Allen...
Then you're really going to laugh at the irony of this statement.

We would not have gone to the Superbowl in 2021 with Blythe and Evans starting as our center and LG in one of the playoff games.

Yes I blame 90% of the Green Bay loss on Blythe and Evans. Having a hurt Donald was the other 10%.

With Creed Humphrey as our starting Center and Blythe playing as backup guard for Edwards (Blythe is adequate as a guard - plus Creed could have helped him out on some of the pass blocking duties), we win that Green Bay game.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The bummer in this... and I mean this sincerely... is that the Stl fans got screwed.
While they probably blame Kroenke and the NFL.. it's Georgia's fault this all happened. Cash-poor, greedy owner leveraging the property for a quick payout just set them up for another future move.

All things happen for a reason. Maybe I’d be an Arizona Cardinals fan, had Georgia not moved the team. Either way, I’m a Rams fan for the long haul, and I don’t care that they’re in Los Angeles; they’re still my team.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Dresser Wynn will open eyes and will be on the Rams roster/ PS for a few yrs and could challenge Bennett for QB2 by next yr.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
This one is more bold than controversial, but…

The Rams will be a top 10 team this season in rushing yards and YPC.

Tano

Legend

Only if the OL stay relatively healthy.

I see two possible starting OL getting hurt again - Noteboom and Allen

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
If we had kupp in the 2018 sb we win.
Excited Lets Go GIF

AZRams

Controversial?

Georgia was one of the worst owners in pro-sports history.

Rams would've made it to the Super Bowl in 85 if they had a real offensive coordinator and used Jeff Kemp instead of Brock.

The new uniform's and helmet are better than those in the past.
Or at least the Kemp > Brock part.

Amazing that anybody could have an arm that could over-throw a fucking supersonic jet but he did. No touch ever at all...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Have a hard time seeing that one but if it happens we'll be a factor for sure.

AZRams

But remember he took over for Tony Banks. Would you rather have Banks or Dilfer leading that team? Not that it mattered much with their D
How did Tony Banks ever get a starting job in the NFL? If he isn't still the NFL leader in QB fumbles than whoever is must have been a total and complete schmuck of a player.