Young "Vet" QB options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One of the ways the Rams can make up for their lack of drafting a developmental QB option in the past couple drafts is to trade for a QB who was taken in the past couple years and get that time back so to speak given that their target has had a season or two through camps and carrying a clipboard. My guess is Snead may target one of the guys listed below and pair him with Bradford and a QB draftee from this draft, so I think it's worth discussion to look at them and see which might be the ones, if any, that he goes after.

Gonna stick with the young vet types here, who have not yet proven themselves but who might have some preseason film and who have managed to stick on rosters thus far. Gonna avoid some others who have not been able to stick on rosters since chances are late round guys who can't stick just aren't good enough; Tyler Wilson, for example, who I liked coming out of college but who has been cut from two teams, it's just easier to avoid those types.

Also, those who have not had extensive chances or looks are viewed in this list as a benefit, because it affects their value in trade making them cheaper in some cases.

So here goes, in order of priority as I see them from a value/upside perspective given the Rams offering a non-premium pick in trade:

1. Manziel. Everyone seems to dislike him but I don't think his immaturity would be something Fish can't handle. Browns would likely jump at a possibility of getting some value for him, so I list him at 1 overall due to potential of getting a first round drafted kid for competition for the price of an affordable pick in return. Right now he is probably the most undervalued guy out there due to teams' fears of him being an off the field disaster.

2. Savage. I remain a fan of his, another QB I liked coming out of Pitt who I felt was underrated. Houston has good depth at the position and he can probably be had for a reasonable offer. Good size, excellent arm.

3. Dysert. He's probably too expensive given that the Broncos are going to be looking for a QB so he'll factor into their plans I am sure. But he does have 2 camps and preseasons under his belt, and good size/arm. Depending on what Elway plans with the rebuild, they may move him for an affordable return.

4. Glennon. Others have posted about him quite a bit. I have him lower than some might like on this list due to the fact we know more about his limitations in comparison to some of the others. I wouldn't say he's a career backup type right now, but he is very close to that. Still, he can probably be shaken loose given that he's not viewed as the answer in Tampa.

5. Nassib. Manning's backup in NY. Not a big fan of his personally, but he's a solid option. I'd still rather see us offer 2 first round picks to NY for Manning but that's a different discussion.

6. Gilbert. This might end up being a real irritation to Rams fans in the future. I don't like him being on the New England roster, where they undoubtedly have better offensive coaching and it makes me think he might end up developing into a starter. Rams did like him before, and I'm not sure what his status of availability is but he has the size, arm, and upside you want.

7. Fales. Has one camp under his belt, like with Dysert however I don't know that the Bears would part with him for an affordable trade since the Bears are looking at a restacking of the staff and position. Good talent level with decent size and good enough arm.

8. Garoppolo. He's down low because he will cost to get him from the Pats. They are looking for their QB of the future in case Brady slows down, so if they really like JG he would not come cheap. I'd like to see him on our depth chart but don't think the Rams can afford it.

9. McCarron. Good height, solid game manager type who has one camp and preseason under his belt but his shoulder status is not good. I doubt the Rams consider him even if they did like him out of college because of that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
7. Fales. Has one camp under his belt, like with Dysert however I don't know that the Bears would part with him for an affordable trade since the Bears are looking at a restacking of the staff and position. Good talent level with decent size and good enough arm.
My ideal (realistic)scenario involves Bradford, a drafted QB(first 3 rds), Shaun Hill and David Fales battling in camp.

-I've seen enough of Austin Davis.
-I like Hill as a camp veteran/mentor/competitor.
-Rams MUST draft a developmental QB early in the draft somewhere.
-I like Fales intangibles. Big time competitor, aggressive mentality, intelligent. Not great measurables, but someone i'd like to see the Rams develop...especially if the new OC runs a WCO.

I actually like the idea of developing two young QB's behind Sam(or whomever conceivably is the starter in 2015).

fearsomefour

Legend
My ideal (realistic)scenario involves Bradford, a drafted QB(first 3 rds), Shaun Hill and David Fales battling in camp.

-I've seen enough of Austin Davis.
-I like Hill as a camp veteran/mentor/competitor.
-Rams MUST draft a developmental QB early in the draft somewhere.
-I like Fales intangibles. Big time competitor, aggressive mentality, intelligent. Not great measurables, but someone i'd like to see the Rams develop...especially if the new OC runs a WCO.

I actually like the idea of developing two young QB's behind Sam(or whomever conceivably is the starter in 2015).
Fales was the guy I wanted the Rams to draft last year.
To me, this year, it is Garret Grayson out of Colorado State.
I would Bradford, a vet (Hill or another) and Grayson.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The reality is that most of these guys are too expensive to trade for or they are the "get what you pay for" type. A lot rests on the success of this draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The reality is that most of these guys are too expensive to trade for or they are the "get what you pay for" type. A lot rests on the success of this draft.

I can't disagree, may end up being the case and I do agree this draft will address the position as well. Still, the FA list is so underwhelming that I assume Snead will scrub those possibilities and put out feelers on them so we'll see.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I'm on the Garappalo train but pretty sure it would take a first rounder. I wouldnt be opposed to that if we could trade down and pick up an extra second, but who knows maybe they take a 2nd this year and a 2nd or 3rd next year.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
I like Garrapalo too, but so do the Patriots and Brady is old. He aint going anywhere - even for a first rounder. I think their strategy has been to draft QBs with potential after the first round until they feel they finally get one worthy of replacing Brady. I think they finally found the one they feel is worthy and they won't trade him away. Might not be a bad strategy to follow - maybe even draft two this year. Also, what are the Rams gonna do if Bradford won't reduce his contract? The crappy free agent pool really puts him in a pretty good negotiating position in spite of his injuries.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I like Conner Shaw. He really looks like what some thought that johnny Football would be.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I disagree with the logic on getting Manziel. Just because he was drafted in the first round doesn't mean he is a first round talent. People talk about him being a off the field disaster, but from what I've seen he's a bigger on the field disaster.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I wanted the Rams to Draft Fales, and I would still like to see him in Horns! Then again, I wanted Garrapalo too, But N.E. would be STUPID to let him go!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I disagree with the logic on getting Manziel. Just because he was drafted in the first round doesn't mean he is a first round talent. People talk about him being a off the field disaster, but from what I've seen he's a bigger on the field disaster.

I agree here...Off the field stuff and maturity don't mean much if he's not going to be a good NFL QB..I wasn't convinced about him before and I'm even less enamored with him now...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Not going to argue whether he's a first round talent, but apparently one team thought so.

As to his on field disaster performance, you are talking about a very small sample size. I don't think it proves anything really, other than he was not ready when they threw him in there. Now, Rams may have issue with his height, I don't know. It is a thing teams really look at. But he does bring other things to the table that should play in this league, a very similar skill set with Wilson.

All I am pointing out is that I think Fish could reign him in. Given that, he does have some value, but of course what I don't know is what the Browns would accept for him, which is why he's in the discussion. With any of those guys if the team decides they want a lot for them it means they're off the table. That is just the order I'd make phone calls looking for an affordable "young vet" QB.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Not going to argue whether he's a first round talent, but apparently one team thought so.

As to his on field disaster performance, you are talking about a very small sample size. I don't think it proves anything really, other than he was not ready when they threw him in there. Now, Rams may have issue with his height, I don't know. It is a thing teams really look at. But he does bring other things to the table that should play in this league, a very similar skill set with Wilson.

All I am pointing out is that I think Fish could reign him in. Given that, he does have some value, but of course what I don't know is what the Browns would accept for him, which is why he's in the discussion. With any of those guys if the team decides they want a lot for them it means they're off the table. That is just the order I'd make phone calls looking for an affordable "young vet" QB.

I think I'd start with Glennon, as he is the only one with a good amount of experience. And right now, Lovie needs draft picks bad. Esp over a guy he's never going to start over his boy McCown or a draft pick QB. So I think he'll have the best "get what you pay for" value. Aside from Manziel, I'm pretty much on board with the others on your list.