XFL - Vince McMahon is gonna try it again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
https://www.si.com/wrestling/2018/01/25/wwe-football-league-xfl-vince-mcmahon

WWE chairman Vince McMahon will announce Thursday afternoon that he is launching a pro football league, ESPN’s Darren Rovell reports.

WWE announced Thursday morning that McMahon’s new investment company, Alpha Entertainment, “will make a major sports announcement” at 3 p.m. ET on Thursday.

McMahon was previously the brains behind the XFL, the short-lived league that promised a brand of football somehow even more violent than the NFL. The league folded after just one season and cost both WWE and NBC millions of dollars.

Rumblings that McMahon might be reviving some sort of XFL-like product began in mid-December. (The man who broke the news, a North Carolina freelance journalist named Brad Shepard, even said McMahon would announce the new venture on Jan. 25.)

Alpha Entertainment filed several trademarks tied to the new league back in September, including UFL and UrFL. It appears, however, that the new league will use the old XFL branding.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Should be interesting to see how this plays out, though I'm fairly confident it will fail.

Psycho_X

Legend
Be interesting how they handle the "extreme" part of it this time around. With the cte issues a hot topic it's going to be hard to promote a more extreme version of NFL football without a lot of negative press and people whining about it constantly. I'm sure McMahon will exploit the current problems the NFL has with kneeling, etc to try and draw in the fans that have taken a hard line stance against the NFL for it. The biggest thing they can do though is dumb down the rule book and keep the pace of the game faster with less commercials.

The NFL has, for the first time in 3 decades, shown some weakness in its popularity even if it isn't affecting the bottom line. It's the perfect time for someone to try and take a bite out of it. I still don't think it'll be successful but who knows. If McMahon promotes it well, manages to sidestep player health issues some how, and (most importantly in my opinion) creates a solid and minimal up front cost streaming service for the games he might have a chance to carve out a small niche.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
how many teams ?

what cities ?

putting teams back in LA , Chicago , NY , San Francisco , like the first XFL , probably still won't work , especially LA

might help to have more then just 8 teams , even at the start

P.S.

I'm not a Vince McMahon fan and the first XFL didn't interest much and I doubt this new one will much either

XFL-He-Hate-Me-Meet_The_Matts.jpg

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
it'll give Johnny Manziel and Tim Tebow a place to play................lol

StLouisStallions.GIF

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm betting every player has to stand for the National Anthem and here are a few of the Head Coaches of the New League.

freddieblassie_2765.jpg
images
680a89ed499e71ec14e0f8269e707ca5--grand-wizard-wizards.jpg

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I was semi interested in it the first time around, I am still amazed that there is no minor leauge football here in America. Minor leauge baseball is popular in small cities, the G leauge is cool and builds alot of talent for the nba .

I bet the xfl will fail again because people now are alot more concerned about safety, but the idea of minor leauge football or a secondary football leauge intrigues me .

There is thousand of college players that go undrafted and have to end their careers. There is tons of practice team players that could continue to grow in a minor leauge system and benefit the nfl later on .

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
how many teams ?

what cities ?

putting teams back in LA , Chicago , NY , San Francisco , like the first XFL , probably still won't work , especially LA

might help to have more then just 8 teams , even at the start

P.S.

I'm not a Vince McMahon fan and the first XFL didn't interest much and I doubt this new one will much either

XFL-He-Hate-Me-Meet_The_Matts.jpg

If they put them in smaller secondary markets like MLB does with most minor league teams it could work.

Even San Antonio and here in SWFL.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
If they put them in smaller secondary markets like MLB does with most minor league teams it could work.

Even San Antonio and here in SWFL.
Oklahoma City , Portland Oregon , El Paso Texas , Louisville Kentucky , St Louis Missouri ,

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
My favorite idea for a minor league is regionally tying players to teams closer to where they played in college.

There's obviously some big obstacles there, but it would be great for attendance for the teams to be filled with players who are already popular in the area.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
We had the Orlando Thunder from that league.

Our theme song was ACDC "Thunder Struck".

They girly lime green (shecock like color) was part of their scheme though. So, that was lame.

Their cheerleaders were more stripper like though... that was BAD ASS.

nighttrain

Legend
When they play the games is huge. What day or night, and what else is on the venue at that moment
train

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Time for the Iowa Barnstormers to take it to the next level.......................lol

maxresdefault.jpg

Dirigo

Rookie
Name
Andrew
I was semi interested in it the first time around, I am still amazed that there is no minor leauge football here in America. Minor leauge baseball is popular in small cities, the G leauge is cool and builds alot of talent for the nba .

I bet the xfl will fail again because people now are alot more concerned about safety, but the idea of minor leauge football or a secondary football leauge intrigues me .

There is thousand of college players that go undrafted and have to end their careers. There is tons of practice team players that could continue to grow in a minor leauge system and benefit the nfl later on .

An NFL farm league would be a good idea for many obvious reasons (develop players, entertain fans with actual football games during the off-season, etc...). I wish the NFL would create such a league.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
No cites mentioned

said it will be eight teams , 10 games plus playoff/championship games

asked about the national anthem , didn't actually say it will be a rule , but you get the feeling it will be, but all players will fully understand the rules when they sign with the XFL , Vince McMahon

wants to cut the game to two hours , sounded like he wanted to get rid of halftime

fewer penalties

asked about Johnny Manziel and Tim Tebow and said no player with a criminal record will play in the XFL , if you have a DUI / DWI . your out , he mentioned Tim Tebow , and ignored Johnny Manzeil....................lol

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Des Moines, IA ;)
will probably have to go with Ames , Des Moines doesn't even have a football stadium , or not much of one anyways ...........lol