Xavier Smith.. a faster Brandon Powell?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Our special teams are looking really good right now.

Time will tell on Smith, could be a one time lucky return or could be his niche.

Need time to see if he has ball security ability as well.
I suspect the teams resurgence has something to do with the hire of a certain ex-Nebraska coach. But either way very happy to see it.

Smith won't be cut again this year. He just won his roster spot with that play.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm talking about builds. Smith is a lot more slender than Powell was. Powell was built a lot like a running back and played running back at Florida. Smith has always been a wide receiver and, like @den-the-coach said, is a lot faster than Powell.

I do think that Smith could be a dominant returner, and I do see where you're coming from, but I believe they're different players based on build and speed.
I don’t see a drastic difference. Smith is about an inch taller and 5lbs lighter.
I think Smith’s speed can help him avoid some of the contact Powell broke through.

Either way… I want Smith to stick around. He’s explosive.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
OK, so I watched McVay's game ball speech and he gave a ball to "X-Avier". I thought, "Isn't it 'Zavier'?"

Please tell me once and for all what is the correct pronunciation, oh sage Londoner.
X-avier is the common pronunciation.
If it’s a Latino.. it’s Ha-vier.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
That was another one of three head scratchers (along with letting Zach Thomas go, he was pff no 1 ranked OL in preseason and trading E Jones for a bag of peanuts to turn MLB from a strength to a major weakness).

We were very lucky a weaker squad didn’t pick him up off waivers for special teams! Let’s hope they now see sense and keep him in the 53! He is by far our best returner

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That was another one of three head scratchers (along with letting Zach Thomas go, he was pff no 1 ranked OL in preseason and trading E Jones for a bag of peanuts to turn MLB from a strength to a major weakness).

We were very lucky a weaker squad didn’t pick him up off waivers for special teams! Let’s hope they now see sense and keep him in the 53! He is by far our best returner
Bruss looked better to me at guard than I thought Thomas ever looked.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
God I love shit like this!!
The absolute best part of Smith's punt return was the 2 most magical words one could hear

No Flag
Watching the replay, a couple of young guys did a good job backing off and not committing a block in the back. One was Lampkin and I believe the other was Wallace. They just let the guy go and didn't make the big mistake.

BTW, I noticed McCullough was on the field for at least one play on the last defensive stand tgat resulted in the missed FG.

Amazing how many late picks and UDFA's who are contributing.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
BTW, I noticed McCullough was on the field for at least one play on the last defensive stand tgat resulted in the missed FG.
He is one of those players who good things happen when he's in there.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
OK, so I watched McVay's game ball speech and he gave a ball to "X-Avier". I thought, "Isn't it 'Zavier'?"

Please tell me once and for all what is the correct pronunciation, oh sage Londoner.
I'll take that lesson as well. I liken it to Xerox. But I wanna hear his mom say it.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We've thought THAT before.
He sticks now...worst case I would keep him over Tyler Johnson once Kupp & Nacua are back. If Johnson goes elsewhere you have Cephus as an emergency call up or Tyler Johnson goes back to PS to be your emergency call up.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
@Memento What say you about all this disrespect for your guy Tyler?

I still think that I'd trust Johnson. Right now, he's got the best hands on the team; what goes in doesn't come out, and he has enough speed to threaten the intermediate, along with Robinson.

At the moment, I'd still keep Johnson on the team, cut Stetson Bennett to elevate Smith. Then you have a solid group of five receivers in Robinson, Johnson, Atwell, Whittington, and Smith - with possibly another elevated (praying for Wiglusz, but sadly expecting Cephus) for game time decisions.

When everyone (save for Higbee, whom I don't think will be truly ready until very late season) is healthy, I'd roll with seven wideouts (Kupp, Nacua, Robinson, Atwell, Johnson, Whittington, and Smith) and two tight ends (Parkinson and Allen). Whittington plays a lot like a tight end anyway, so you have something there, even without Hunter Long.