"Wyche's World" / Gurley to return vs Washington?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
Exactly... TWO reasons to NOT have him debut against Washington:

1) Fedex Field is criminally bad. You don't ignore what it did to RG3's knee and subject your franchise RB's knee to that when he's coming off an ACL. You just don't do it.

2) You bring a rookie coming off an injury on at home. There's already enough stress playing during a home game. You don't add the stress of travel. Fisher is savvy enough to know that unless he had no other choice, you wait.

I fully expect Gurley to be a scratch for the game and Austin to be our RB3, which, as it turns out... really messes with defenses cuz they aren't used to guys like him from the backfield.

this x100004239482384

it would be freakin awesome to see his debut at my first game but fuuuuck that field. no way. Let's role with Mason and Benny this week and bring him out against the Steelers at home and dominate

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
You make a good point.

There are some guys who are called "fumblers" who just aren't, but have that series of events happen and the ball comes out.

Wendell Tyler comes to mind. I too was ready for him to be cut but with so few RBs healthy he still has a job.

As for Gurley no way he is playing in DC to start his career.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Segment on NFL N - pretty cool coverage on the rams, but then Wyche says that Gurley might even be returning this weekend, and is going to have a big piece on it soon..

News to me
I'd be surprised.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd be surprised.

me too - thats why i shared it... i expected some carries before the bye, but not a starting load -starting week 4...anything earlier than that raises my eyebrows

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
No need to rush Gurley back and risk an injury Cunningham and Mason will be fine for now.But pead man I hope he doesn't touch the ball again unless he recovers a fumble on ST.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm playing him when Reggie (the trainer) says he's ready....I hope it's this weekend. We only had 2 yards a carry.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd rather this team limits Peads touches until they get on a big roll with a nice 4-0 or better record. There is enough risk of turnovers with this offense with Tavon touching it more, let alone carrying it out of the backfield. So for my money just keep him on returns and the bottom of the depth chart.

Of course at that point Watkins returns and they will need to make room for him. Thanks for the memories Isaiah.

Penguin.

Rookie
Honestly, he isn't garbage on special teams. He can block relatively decent, and his tackling skills are better than his actual running ability. It just stinks he got him in the second round, what a bust. But hey, with picks like Donald and Cunningham, I can get over it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want to see Gurley...but I agree, not in Washington on that field.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I can't see any way Gurley plays next week, I'd be surprised if he plays even week 3. Fisher seems adamant about the 10 month recovery.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I was surprised he didn't play against Seattle, myself. If he is ready, he is ready.

jap

Legend
I know I'm going to get booed down for this, and I cussed Pead live all game after the fumble with CGI, but it wasn't as bad in replay.

He had one run. It was going to be a good run. He had that ball wrapped up like a baby. He was holding it so tight, he even ran funny. He was hit and grabbed, still moving, hit and grabbed again, still up dragging two players, and a third D player popped the ball out.

I'm not making excuses for him, really, because he scares me every time he touches the ball, and maybe he just doesn't have the arm strength, but he also may just have the worst luck of any player on the team.

I will say though that he shouldn't be returning KOs. He just isn't making the moves.

There's really been too much vitriol over Pead's fumble. What the hell!?! It was Earl Thomas who punched that ball out. I saw Earl make a brilliant play against the Rams last season as we had a receiver about to cross the goal line to score. Earl accurately blasted that ball out of the ball carrier's hands with exquisite timing and energy and saved six points for his club. In fact, IIRC, Seattle recovered the ensuing fumble. Earl is the best DB Seattle has and one of the smartest safeties in the entire league.

With all the talk of Pead's fumbling ways, many seem to forget Benny had a fumbling problem for quite a spell when he began here. Isaiah, like any young NFL RB, has to learn that NFL defenders are going to be all over that ball whenever he totes it---especially if you are labelled a fumbler. He has to prove he can secure it before the defenders back off.

In any regard, the sooner they can get Gurley rolling, the better. I want two game changers, Gurley and Tavon, on the field at the same time, and I wanna see NFL DC's going nuts trying to decide who to key on. Whoever they look to blanket will leave the other that much freer to roam and terrorize opposing defenders, DC's, and fans. The DC's have done a great job stopping Tavon for the most part when he was our only real mismatch threat. How the hell are they suppose to cover two mismatch nightmares!?! :sneaky::LOL:

A55VA6

Legend
On the Jeff Fisher Show, Fisher said Tre Mason has a "real good chance" to play this week. Also said Todd Gurley will get increased reps this week in practice with the offense - full speed reps - and "we'll see where it goes"

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Segment on NFL N - pretty cool coverage on the rams, but then Wyche says that Gurley might even be returning this weekend, and is going to have a big piece on it soon..

News to me

I predict week 7 Oct 25th vs. Browns following our bye week. Assuming no set backs of course. Still need time to build up the muscles around his ACL. JMHO

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Going by the 10 month rule for ACL recovery, that date is Sept. 25th. We play Steelers on the 27th

James Andrews repaired Gurley’s knee 10 days later, Nov. 25, five months before the draft. At the time, Georgia coach Mark Richt indicated that Gurley had a clean ACL tear, meaning minimal damage to other structures in the knee such as the meniscus, which cushions the knee and protects the articular cartilage. That was good news for his recovery, and different from another elite SEC runner who suffered a major knee injury in 2012. South Carolina’s Marcus Lattimore was never able to play a game in the NFL after dislocating his knee and injuring multiple ligaments in his final college game.

Full article http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/29/nfl-draft-todd-gurley-recovery-acl

I'm still hoping we wait a little longer, and when he dresses,
have him gradually get worked into the line up. Let Tré Mason get a few games in as the #1 RB and allow Gurley to start out as the change of pace back .
I would focus on having Gurley fresh for the stretch run for the playoffs, thats right mofo's I said it "playoffs" "Lets Go"!!!

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
Rams coach Jeff Fisher not ruling out Todd Gurley this week
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...f-fisher-not-ruling-out-todd-gurley-this-week

EARTH CITY, Mo. – Every morning when St. Louis Rams running back Todd Gurley wakes up, he can barely contain his excitement.

Gurley knows that every day could be the day, the day the Rams give him the green light and tell him he’ll be in the lineup in that week’s game.

“Man, I wake up hyped to get the opportunity but I just have to prepare and just stay focused and calm, not get too overexcited,” Gurley said.

That day hasn’t quite arrived yet, but it’s coming soon. Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Tuesday that Gurley is not being counted out for this week’s game against the Washington Redskins.

“There’s always that possibility,” Fisher said. “I ruled him out in the preseason and ruled him out last week. I’m not ruling him out right now. We’ll see how he does. But this is a medical decision, a trainer decision, a collective decision but we’ll see how he does this week.”

Gurley
Todd Gurley might not be ready this week, but he seems to be getting closer to his NFL debut.
While not ruling Gurley out is not the same as saying Gurley will play, it’s a certain sign of progress in Gurley’s recovery from the torn ACL he suffered last November.

From the day the Rams drafted Gurley with the No. 10 overall pick in April, the Rams have focused him on a diet of steady progress. He worked on the side in organized team activities but has checked off a list of goals along the way.

First it was being on the active roster at the start of training camp. Then it was getting cleared to start participating in team drills. Then it was removing the yellow “no contact” beanie. On Tuesday, it was getting his first chance to take reps with the first-team offense, a plan the Rams will ramp up as the week goes on.

“I feel good,” Gurley said. “Just being back used to things and getting in the flow of things and in the offense.”

The Rams and Gurley should get a better sense of how far along he is on Wednesday, when they have their fully padded practice for the week. That will be Gurley’s first chance to work with the first-team offense in a real practice setting rather than working with the scout team.

From a football standpoint, both Gurley and Fisher expressed confidence that he could play if need be. But Gurley also still has some football conditioning to do, something he acknowledged Tuesday evening.

“That’s still a part of the process,” Gurley said. “Game and practice are a lot different. Of course I expect myself to push through it, but sometimes you are just going to be tired. That just comes with getting a feel for things and getting those reps.”

That Gurley hasn’t had those reps and probably won’t get enough this week to get up to speed could be an indicator that he’s probably still another week away. A more realistic target date could be Sept. 27 against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Washington’s FedEx Field is also known for being one of the sloppier playing surfaces in the league. Though it’s grass, it might not be ideal for Gurley’s debut.

Nonetheless, Fisher and the Rams will at least let Gurley get reps this week and see where he is at the end of it. Even if it doesn’t mean he’ll play against the Redskins, that time is clearly coming sooner than later.

“That was the goal once I got drafted by the Rams,” Gurley said. “I sat down and had a conversation and they just told me what the goal was and I was going to start camp off just doing individual and steady progression working my way up. It’s almost that time. It’s getting closer. I’m excited about that.”

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Pure Fisher and I think Snead is in on it...toying with his friend who is HC for Skins and Williams feels he was passed over for HC job for skins. This is a big game of chicken to force possible extra preperation. I doubt they fall for it either. But why not use all the possibilities? Even getting Mason back on that field is a dangerous move. NO INJURIES. Anyone here anything positive on the concussion testing? We need our stud CB back. Both starters are playing very well, almost like this was a contract year.:whistle: