WRs who best fit the Rams needs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Leonte Carroo will be good value outside the first.(if Carroo passes the character tests)

Carroo is a real player
Draft Geek: You missed two games with the suspension and two games with injury, what was the up-and-down season like for you?

L.Carroo: Yeah it was up and down for sure. If I had been out there every game this season who knows what my stats would have been like, I felt like I did an awesome job trying to make plays for my team despite only playing in a limited amount of games. Going out there being a captain and a leader I just went out ther and gave it best I could every game.

D.G: What would you say the strongest part of your game is and what part do you feel you need to work on the most?

L.C: The strongest part of my game is definitely my hands; I take pride in my catching ability. One thing I need to work on that the scouts want to see is me being quicker in and out of my breaks at the top of my routes.
https://nfldraftgeek.com/leontecarroo-nfldraftinterview.html

Really starting to like this guy....we gotta hit our first 4 picks....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm hoping for two out of three new WR's coming from free agency, then the draft will be more about BPA imo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Im guessing he will run around a 4.45 40 dash

He's definitely a guy whose 40 time can send him up into round 1 if he runs in the 4.4s. My hope is he times somewhere in the 4.55 range which will help him get overlooked and be there when we pick in round 2. Not sweating his 40 time though because he runs good routes and has hands. Reminds me a bit of Allen Robinson who went 61 overall to the Jags and who had that Anquan Boldin label thrown at him at that time, where his 40 allowed for them to get him later than they should have.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
How are we leaving out Corey Coleman? Coleman is probably the most explosive WR in the draft even at 5'10 he can win in the air because of his leaping ability. He has been compared to Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders.

At this point pretty much every WR out of college is raw playing in a spread and needs development, thats why scouts focus on traits. Coleman has deep speed, explosive out of his cuts, can accelerate a taking short passes the distance. leaping ability to win in highpoint situations. I wouldn't pass on a legit playmaker with those kind of traits just because we have Tavon.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How are we leaving out Corey Coleman? Coleman is probably the most explosive WR in the draft even at 5'10 he can win in the air because of his leaping ability. He has been compared to Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders.

At this point pretty much every WR out of college is raw playing in a spread and needs development, thats why scouts focus on traits. Coleman has deep speed, explosive out of his cuts, can accelerate a taking short passes the distance. leaping ability to win in highpoint situations. I wouldn't pass on a legit playmaker with those kind of traits just because we have Tavon.

I pointed that out in the first post on this thread: I don't want projects, even highly talented ones. Baylor WRs don't know wtf a route tree is. Rams don't need another project WR.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I pointed that out in the first post on this thread: I don't want projects, even highly talented ones. Baylor WRs don't know wtf a route tree is. Rams don't need another project WR.

I understand that point, but its not like Josh Doctson and guys like him are running the most diverse route trees. In fact Doctson almost exclusively plays on one side of the field running go routes, slants, post and the occasional bubble screen. He definitely isn't a refined route runner but he has a very attractive trait going up getting the ball and thats his main draw not his refinement. Demaryius Thomas and Calvin Johnson played in a triple option and barely ran routes, but traits got them drafted high and are key aspects to NFL success. Im just saying Coleman has traits that could be key to his NFL success and we shouldn't disregard that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand that point, but its not like Josh Doctson and guys like him are running the most diverse route trees. In fact Doctson almost exclusively plays on one side of the field running go routes, slants, post and the occasional bubble screen. He definitely isn't a refined route runner but he has a very attractive trait going up getting the ball and thats his main draw not his refinement. Demaryius Thomas and Calvin Johnson played in a triple option and barely ran routes, but traits got them drafted high and are key aspects to NFL success. Im just saying Coleman has traits that could be key to his NFL success and we shouldn't disregard that.

Dude... Coleman could well end up being the best WR from this class. Nobody knows, least of all myself.

But my goal with this particular thread was to discuss the WRs who have the best chance to help this team, who fit. This is not a team that has a great track record developing raw wideouts. I am not a fan of the Baylor system as it pertains to wideouts, because the athleticism that gives them mismatches and wins in college doesn't matter at the pro level until they develop the things that lead to winning consistently on the field: route running.

The title of the thread says it all brother. I'm not after the guys with the highest ceiling. I don't trust this staff to develop those guys.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fisher & his personnel has been poor (being kind here) in finding & drafting the wide outs who best fits his teams needs. Britt is the best WR we have and will be a expensive cost wise WR in comparison to what he brings game day but he is all Fisher has & due to that Fisher can not consider releasing an over paid player. Tavon Austin is a combination of a Slot/punt returner/running back/part time wide out offensive player here. Next up is slot pass catcher Bradley Marquez.

Fisher has went through the following WR's since 2012:
Amendola
Gibson
Givens
Smith
Quick
Pettis
Bailey
Veltrung
Williams
Toon
Welker
Long

Non of the above WR's would seem to be best fits for previous Fisher Ram team needs. Who will throw the ball would have to enter this question would it not in order to find out who would fit? Not a great draft for WR's but it does have a few that would fit with any NFL team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher & his personnel has been poor (being kind here) in finding & drafting the wide outs who best fits his teams needs. Britt is the best WR we have and will be a expensive cost wise WR in comparison to what he brings game day but he is all Fisher has & due to that Fisher can not consider releasing an over paid player. Tavon Austin is a combination of a Slot/punt returner/running back/part time wide out offensive player here. Next up is slot pass catcher Bradley Marquez.

Yeah no doubt. It's pretty sad man, wideout is by far the team's biggest need to the point where I would not be surprised to see them address it right there at 15 with a guy like Doctson or Thomas even if the BPA is on defense.

That said, my expectation is they will go hard and heavy after wideout in FA and that should keep them from having to violate their BPA tendencies that have netted them back to back ROYs. I'm just not going to assume anything with Fish and Snead because they're impossible to read and very unpredictable in who they're going to target.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm nitpicking but Calvin Johnson played at GT under Chan Gailey before they brought the triple option in. Gailey was a former NFL HC and NFL OC at the time. He's currently a NFL OC with NYJ.

Tyler Boyd played in a pro style offense and ran a pro style route tree.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Since Alshon Jefferey is likely signed or franchised by Chicago, i'd look to trade a 2017 conditional pick for Josh Gordon, based on snaps, production and keeping his head out of his …
One of those two and make a play for free agent Travis Benjamin. With Gordon (or Jeffery:yess:) and Benjamin, Britt & Austin on board, then look to the draft later to fill out the roster. I might go with Rashard Higgins if he's still available when we pick in the 3'rd. Gordon would be much cheaper, but I have little problem spending available CAP at this needy position. jmo.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Late round option that I'd like to see in horns:

He looks like he has some speed and seems to have some breakaway speed which would allow him to get open down field. 4th rounder or what?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He looks like he has some speed and seems to have some breakaway speed which would allow him to get open down field. 4th rounder or what?

I see him listed a lot in that range yeah. Since he's a WR, though, his 40 is gonna factor largely in that. He has excellent size and was a hit at the Shrine so I assume he will rise if he runs well.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm on the team, we need to sign a proven WR, then draft a WR high in the draft... 1st or 2nd round. I also don't want the WR drafted to be a huge project.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. If they give up a ton of draft capital to move up, then the WR position will be most likely the position that gets hurt the most. Sign Marvin Jones to a 2-3 year deal not crazy money and we can get out of it if need be. Like what we did w/ Britts contract
They could sign Jones as you said for a very moderate price and then get a guy like Boyd in the 2nd and I think we would be set for a little while. IMHO, the WR corps would be a definite upgrade. Quick seemed to get into the dog house last season for some reason and even though I love SB ... I just don't see him coming back anytime soon. So we not only have "need" for at least two as far as adding talent, but also the openings to fill.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Marvin Jones is a 25 year old free agent. I don't buy for a second that he'll be signing a short term deal. Britt signed that deal because of his character issues. Jones will get a 4-5 year deal in the $6 million to $8 million a year range.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Marvin Jones is a 25 year old free agent. I don't buy for a second that he'll be signing a short term deal. Britt signed that deal because of his character issues. Jones will get a 4-5 year deal in the $6 million to $8 million a year range.
But Jones has never "proved" that he can be better than a #2 WR. So he doesn't have the stats to get him #1 money. He may get the $6-8 mil .. .but his SB is not going to be outrageous. Now if you want Alshon or some of the other top guys, then you will be looking at the Big SB and around $14 mil per.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But Jones has never "proved" that he can be better than a #2 WR. So he doesn't have the stats to get him #1 money. He may get the $6-8 mil .. .but his SB is not going to be outrageous. Now if you want Alshon or some of the other top guys, then you will be looking at the Big SB and around $14 mil per.

#2 WR money is 4-6 years at $6 to $8 million a year.

manmaderam

The one and only
What do people think of Demarcus Robinson as a good #2-3 WR? Especially if we can get him in the 6th rd or later