Will the Rams Use More Single-High Safety Looks This Season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamInferno

UDFA
With the addition of safeties Cam Curl and Camren Kitchens, I've been thinking about how their skill sets might influence our defensive alignments this season. Since we brought in Brandon Staley in 2020, we've relied heavily on a two-high safety look inspired by Vic Fangio's defense where we don't really distinguish between strong and free safety. But the strengths and versatility of Curl and Kitchens could make single-high safety schemes an actually viable option going forward.

Cam Curl brings a unique skillset to the table. Last season with the Commodes, he racked up a career-high 115 tackles and demonstrated impressive instincts in the open field. His man coverage skills have significantly improved since his rookie year, and he finished this past season with the second-highest man coverage grade among safeties. He can line up anywhere on the field and has great understanding of leverage. His ability to play in man coverage and to play near the line of scrimmage could allow for more single-high safety looks, with Kitchens patrolling deep. This setup could be particularly effective against offenses that heavily utilize tight ends and slot receivers, allowing Curl to match up in man coverage while Kitchens provides over-the-top support.

Camren Kitchens, our third-round draft pick, seems to project as a pure free safety with incredible range and ball skills. Over the last two seasons in college, he recorded 11 interceptions, showing potentially elite playmaking skills. Kitchens is known for his sideline-to-sideline range and speed, making him an ideal candidate for deep zone coverage. While open-field tackling has been the biggest weakness in his game, his potential as a game-changer is undeniable.

The flexibility that Curl and Kitchens bring might enable us to disguise our coverages more effectively. By showing a two-high shell pre-snap and rotating into a single-high look post-snap, we can create confusion for opposing quarterbacks and make our defense more unpredictable. While it’s probably unlikely that we’ll abandon our two-high safety foundation entirely, the addition of Curl and Kitchens could potentially lead to more single-high safety looks this season. What do you guys think?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I wouldn't mind seeing players used to their strengths.

The coaches tried so hard to make rapp a player he wasn't.

I want to see shorter fields.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I think we’ll end up seeing a lot more 3 safety looks on second and third downs with two high at the snap. The Rams play a left and right safety so they would continue helping over the top.

Both Kurl and Kinchens excel at centerfield roving and tackling (not zone or man coverage) would expect more safety blitzes this year. Also would expect the over the top help to be improved (a weakness for Fuller and Yeast).

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I think you kept spelling Kinchens wrong.
Yes but he made some excellent points.

I see where @RamInferno is from Austria; and you are, of course in the U.K.

ROD is an International Forum, and you guys are much welcomed. However, you both may want to avoid @Loyal, if at all possible. In the past, he has tried to ban posters from outside of the U.S, and around 36 states. He waivers on Idaho and Montana. Don't get him started on New Mexico.

Last edited:

RamInferno

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's weird. I lived in Austria for a short time a few years back (I watched the Ram's Super Bowl appearance in 2018 at 3am local time). But I am from SoCal and currently live in the USA. I guess I never updated my profile.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
With the addition of safeties Cam Curl and Camren Kitchens, I've been thinking about how their skill sets might influence our defensive alignments this season. Since we brought in Brandon Staley in 2020, we've relied heavily on a two-high safety look inspired by Vic Fangio's defense where we don't really distinguish between strong and free safety. But the strengths and versatility of Curl and Kitchens could make single-high safety schemes an actually viable option going forward.

Cam Curl brings a unique skillset to the table. Last season with the Commodes, he racked up a career-high 115 tackles and demonstrated impressive instincts in the open field. His man coverage skills have significantly improved since his rookie year, and he finished this past season with the second-highest man coverage grade among safeties. He can line up anywhere on the field and has great understanding of leverage. His ability to play in man coverage and to play near the line of scrimmage could allow for more single-high safety looks, with Kitchens patrolling deep. This setup could be particularly effective against offenses that heavily utilize tight ends and slot receivers, allowing Curl to match up in man coverage while Kitchens provides over-the-top support.

Camren Kitchens, our third-round draft pick, seems to project as a pure free safety with incredible range and ball skills. Over the last two seasons in college, he recorded 11 interceptions, showing potentially elite playmaking skills. Kitchens is known for his sideline-to-sideline range and speed, making him an ideal candidate for deep zone coverage. While open-field tackling has been the biggest weakness in his game, his potential as a game-changer is undeniable.

The flexibility that Curl and Kitchens bring might enable us to disguise our coverages more effectively. By showing a two-high shell pre-snap and rotating into a single-high look post-snap, we can create confusion for opposing quarterbacks and make our defense more unpredictable. While it’s probably unlikely that we’ll abandon our two-high safety foundation entirely, the addition of Curl and Kitchens could potentially lead to more single-high safety looks this season. What do you guys think?
I think it's entirely possible.. and.. isn't that something they did once-in-a-while last year? I feel like I saw Fuller rotate to single high a few times? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Either way, I'd expect it to be mixed in.. because being multiple and being able to throw different looks at QBs is one key to defensive success.
The big Q is how well Tre White recovers.. because if he's ready to roll.. they could mix in "man" looks, here and there.. for sure. I think, as someone mentioned.. three-safety looks will happen.. and Lake looked remarkably capable as the "star", imo...

I'm excited by the possibilities this defense has now.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
That's weird. I lived in Austria for a short time a few years back (I watched the Ram's Super Bowl appearance in 2018 at 3am local time). But I am from SoCal and currently live in the USA. I guess I never updated my profile.
Well that's disappointing. But @Loyal will be happy.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yes but he made some excellent points.

ROD is an International Forum, and you guys are much welcomed. However, you both may want to avoid @Loyal, if at all possible. In the past, he has tried to ban posters from outside of the U.S, and around 36 states. He waivers on Idaho and Montana. Don't get him started on New Mexico.

You mean Missouri, not New Mexico, right? But then again, what can we expect from a Jayhags fan, you know?

:p

RamInferno

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rams play a left and right safety so they would continue helping over the top.

Both Kurl and Kinchens excel at centerfield roving and tackling (not zone or man coverage) would expect more safety blitzes this year. Also would expect the over the top help to be improved (a weakness for Fuller and Yeast).
They have played left and right safety and may continue doing so. My thought is that the new personnel might signal a shift in strategy under the new DC? Or at least an increase in single high safety looks considering the strengths and weaknesses of Curl and Kinchens?

From what I've read and seen, Curl seems to be more of a traditional box safety than a centerfield type. A lot of his highlights are him knifing in to make tackles behind the line of scrimmage or breaking up passes in man coverage. And Kinchens definitely seems to have tackling as a weakness. Some videos show some pretty abysmal attempts, though maybe injury had something to do with it.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
They might mix in more single-high looks pre-snap situationaly.
The flexibility that Curl and Kitchens bring might enable us to disguise our coverages more effectively. By showing a two-high shell pre-snap and rotating into a single-high look post-snap, we can create confusion for opposing quarterbacks and make our defense more unpredictable.
They pretty much already do this. Rotating to single-high is based on the playcall. Basic Cover-1 and Cover-3 are you traditional single-high looks. Rams were above average in Cover-3 and slightly below in Cover-1 last year. The amount of Cover-1 might increase, they have more flexibility and better coverage skills on the backend.

dang

Legend

Nice writeup. Good detail without bogging us old farts down with 20 paragraphs and 10 screen shots. Thx

muggmeister

Rookie
I think we’ll end up seeing a lot more 3 safety looks on second and third downs with two high at the snap. The Rams play a left and right safety so they would continue helping over the top.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Much of this concept is dependent of if McVay and Shula have decided it’s time to tweak the scheme or not. McVay always tries to stay ahead of the trends. It’s entirely possible , especially without AD that we see some changes to the defensive scheme.

jjab360

Legend
Looks occasionally mixed in sure, I don't think we have the CBs capable of handling consistent 1 on 1 matchups though.

We'd inevitably give up a lot more long TDs too which is the one thing we've been consistently good at preventing under McVay.