Will the Rams use Franchise/Transition tags tomorrow, Feb. 23rd?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I moved as a teenager from the Bay Area to Reno NV and it snowed when we were moving on the 4th of July weekend.

Yeah, that would be my luck although my wife and I honeymooned in Las Vegas and have been back several times and I truly loved the weather, even once when we were there in July...You know that dry heat and I used that to my advantage with my Uncle & Cousins in Texas, dealing with the artic blast I told them not to worry, it was a dry cold.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Will free agents Leonard Floyd, John Johnson tag along with Rams?

In four seasons with the Rams, safety John Johnson performed above expectations and ascended to become the signal-caller for a defense that ranked among the NFL’s best in 2020.

In his lone season with the Rams, edge rushed Leonard Floyd recorded a career-best 10½ sacks for a team that advanced to the divisional round of the NFC playoffs.

Johnson and Floyd are among the Rams’ 11 pending unrestricted free agents and, should the team choose to use it for the first time since 2018, candidates for the franchise tag.

The tag, which enables NFL teams to avoid a long-term commitment by paying one player a one-year guaranteed salary equal to the average of the top five highest-paid players at their position, can be applied starting Tuesday.

The period to tag players ends March 9, slightly less than a week before the so-called “legal tampering” period begins on March 15 to negotiate with free agents in the days leading to the start of the new league year on March `17.

Last year, the franchise tag was $11.4 million for safeties, $15.8 million for linebackers and $17.8 million for defensive ends.

In the aftermath of revenue losses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the salary cap will decrease. Last season, it was $198 million. For 2021, the league has set a $180-million floor, but the final figure has not been determined.

Teams are expected to wait until the cap and franchise-tag tenders are officially set before making moves.

“Will be interesting,” Rams general manager Les Snead told reporters after the season. “One that we haven’t as NFL clubs, front-office members, coaching staffs, have had to work through, because the salary cap has pretty much trended up versus down during our, probably, lifetimes here.”

Since returning to Los Angeles from St. Louis in 2016, the Rams have used the franchise tag three times.

In 2016 and 2017, they tagged cornerback Trumaine Johnson and paid him nearly $31 million. In 2019, they tagged safety Lamarcus Joyner and paid him about $11.3 million.

In 2020, edge rusher Dante Fowler and linebacker Cory Littleton were regarded as possible tag candidates. The Rams let both hit free agency.

Fowler left for a three-year, $45-million contract with the Atlanta Falcons that included $29 million in guarantees, according to overthecap.com. Littleton signed a three-year, $38.25-million contract with the Las Vegas Raiders that included $22 million in guarantees, according to the website.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Will free agents Leonard Floyd, John Johnson tag along with Rams?

In four seasons with the Rams, safety John Johnson performed above expectations and ascended to become the signal-caller for a defense that ranked among the NFL’s best in 2020.

In his lone season with the Rams, edge rushed Leonard Floyd recorded a career-best 10½ sacks for a team that advanced to the divisional round of the NFC playoffs.

Johnson and Floyd are among the Rams’ 11 pending unrestricted free agents and, should the team choose to use it for the first time since 2018, candidates for the franchise tag.

The tag, which enables NFL teams to avoid a long-term commitment by paying one player a one-year guaranteed salary equal to the average of the top five highest-paid players at their position, can be applied starting Tuesday.

The period to tag players ends March 9, slightly less than a week before the so-called “legal tampering” period begins on March 15 to negotiate with free agents in the days leading to the start of the new league year on March `17.

Last year, the franchise tag was $11.4 million for safeties, $15.8 million for linebackers and $17.8 million for defensive ends.

In the aftermath of revenue losses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the salary cap will decrease. Last season, it was $198 million. For 2021, the league has set a $180-million floor, but the final figure has not been determined.

Teams are expected to wait until the cap and franchise-tag tenders are officially set before making moves.

“Will be interesting,” Rams general manager Les Snead told reporters after the season. “One that we haven’t as NFL clubs, front-office members, coaching staffs, have had to work through, because the salary cap has pretty much trended up versus down during our, probably, lifetimes here.”

Since returning to Los Angeles from St. Louis in 2016, the Rams have used the franchise tag three times.

In 2016 and 2017, they tagged cornerback Trumaine Johnson and paid him nearly $31 million. In 2019, they tagged safety Lamarcus Joyner and paid him about $11.3 million.

In 2020, edge rusher Dante Fowler and linebacker Cory Littleton were regarded as possible tag candidates. The Rams let both hit free agency.

Fowler left for a three-year, $45-million contract with the Atlanta Falcons that included $29 million in guarantees, according to overthecap.com. Littleton signed a three-year, $38.25-million contract with the Las Vegas Raiders that included $22 million in guarantees, according to the website.

Really liked all those players (Johnson, Joyner, Littleton and Fowler) and hated to see all of them leave but I am curious what kind of seasons they all had after signing huge contracts with other teams.

TexasRam

Legend
FWIW, Rams will not use the tag, you know it, I know it and the American people know it.
Haha. 'Merica! But on the serious note, we do have Mr. Snead. Expect the unexpected. Depending on what glasses he chooses to wear, he might tag a player, aquire a player or go on a trading spree for a bunch of 6th rounders. Whatever makes sense....or ....doesn't. :woozy:o_O

TexasRam

Legend
Well, in fairness, it was the worst it's been there in 100 years, I feel my odds are good moving forward, however, West Florida is now in the conversation & if we head there I can go bother @Selassie I & @Florida_Ram

Yea it was really an anomaly. Big reason why TX wasn't able to handle it, along with other very politicized reasons really.

Crazy thing is my house didn't lose power at all. But since all my Co-workers did guess who had to work on his days off. :woozy:

But hey, can't complain. Broken pipes and freezing vs working a few extra days. Not complaining lest I be Smitten by the great Smiter. :)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
FWIW, Rams will not use the tag, you know it, I know it and the American people know it.

that’s what I thought with Tru of all players.Then they tag him a 2nd time.
After that The Rams tag Joyner .

The best was The Rams ended up with comp picks a few years later.So I’m not sure that The Rams do it just to have a team claim say JJ?
I think it will be interesting what direction they decide.A Comp pick in 2022 is the very least they will get 4 JJ.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
When they had cap space and a clear need at the position. Neither are true this year though.

Snead said the Rams should be able to sign everyone that they want to. Before the season someone (Demoff,Snead) said JJ was a priority to get signed. Maybe he is still in their plans.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Snead said the Rams should be able to sign everyone that they want to. Before the season someone (Demoff,Snead) said JJ was a priority to get signed. Maybe he is still in their plans.
And maybe the guy that loves comp picks is trying to push the price up on JJ to get the best comp possible for him.

dang

Legend
I know longer trust everything Snead says. But if he’s a man of his word that would mean the Rams will sign Johnson, Williams, Floyd and Fox. I’ll concede that the Rams don’t really want to sign Hill. And I will personally apologize to Snead.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I know longer trust everything Snead says. But if he’s a man of his word that would mean the Rams will sign Johnson, Williams, Floyd and Fox. I’ll concede that the Rams don’t really want to sign Hill. And I will personally apologize to Snead.

The key word is should. Jordan sort of said, it likely means at what price the Rams feel they could get them to agree to, but their agents may disagree.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
So, thus far, Rams haven't used any Tags, right?

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Sounds like, per McVay's presser, they are waiting for the NFL to approve the official salary cap first

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Haven't caught that, yet.

Following a couple of PS5 restock twitter accounts and have missed 3 different PS5 drops... was in the queue, but sold out before I could get one.

Still trying...

Anyway, gonna try and watch it tonight...