Will our '12 draft class lose 2 members this year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I am guessing you are referencing 2016. I believe this is related to this years roster, which, Johnson will definitely be a part of. As for Pead/Givens, I don't see anyway Pead does not make the team. I also think Givens makes the team solely based on the inability for any of the camp WR's to supplant him. Though Marquez's deep speed could do it if he can play any sort of ST.

Oh, I didn't think this was, because Pead is pretty much a lock and I doubt they cut Givens.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I remember reading an article that said 3 starters is considered a good draft- not amazing. And that's considering a normal draft(seven picks). I personally think it goes beyond just number of starters because quality matters when speaking of starters. Two of our best picks that class are a kicker and punter. The other good pick is Jenkins and he's enigmatic. Quick might be good but I'll wait until he actually does it. None of these players are still what I'd consider game changers.

We had a TON of top picks that year. We should have had more than 3 starters from that draft class. And if you ever want to win a SB, you're going to have to consistently draft better than almost all the other NFL teams. I admit I have a high standard for the draft. I just feel that if this team is ever going to win a SB, it's going to have to be outstanding at drafting for multiple years in a row. I don't think they've done that considering the ammo they've had. JMO.

Where to start, V3?

BTW, Hekker was an UDFA, not a draft pick. I wasn't going to get into the UDFA weeds, but since you brought it up...

When they started their first offseason, S&F had 7 picks. Then came the RG3 trade bonanza. Don't they get any credit for robbing Washington?

Anytime a team still has 5 starters from a single draft class while entering their 4th year, it's had an exceptional draft by ANY standards. And to think we could have had Bobby Wagner instead of Pead... Sigh...

Brockers
Quick (might be our #1 WR now)
Jenkins
Tru Johnson
Zuerlein

And those are just the starting draftees after 3 full years. On a roster that's now generally considered loaded, so please spare me the "anybody could be a starter on such a weak roster" non sequitur. In Snead's first year before he could hand pick his own scouting team, at that.

You said we needed to draft better than almost all the other teams in order to win a SB. I don't disagree. I think that S&F have done just that since they got here. Jury is still out on the '15 class, of course, but it's looking good so far. At least to me.

The entire O has been turned over via draft, trade, FA, and UDFA. All 11 starters and almost all backups.

Only Quinn, Long, and J Lau remain as D starters. Plus almost all backups have been replaced, too.

They've made a few mistakes along the way, but compared to the regimes of the previous 10 years, well...

Hell, there IS no comparison, is there?

Ram65

Legend
A healthy Givens will make the team. Pead will be valuable on STs!

V3

Hall of Fame
Where to start, V3?

BTW, Hekker was an UDFA, not a draft pick. I wasn't going to get into the UDFA weeds, but since you brought it up...

When they started their first offseason, S&F had 7 picks. Then came the RG3 trade bonanza. Don't they get any credit for robbing Washington?

Anytime a team still has 5 starters from a single draft class while entering their 4th year, it's had an exceptional draft by ANY standards. And to think we could have had Bobby Wagner instead of Pead... Sigh...

Brockers
Quick (might be our #1 WR now)
Jenkins
Tru Johnson
Zuerlein

And those are just the starting draftees after 3 full years. On a roster that's now generally considered loaded, so please spare me the "anybody could be a starter on such a weak roster" non sequitur. In Snead's first year before he could hand pick his own scouting team, at that.

You said we needed to draft better than almost all the other teams in order to win a SB. I don't disagree. I think that S&F have done just that since they got here. Jury is still out on the '15 class, of course, but it's looking good so far. At least to me.

The entire O has been turned over via draft, trade, FA, and UDFA. All 11 starters and almost all backups.

Only Quinn, Long, and J Lau remain as D starters. Plus almost all backups have been replaced, too.

They've made a few mistakes along the way, but compared to the regimes of the previous 10 years, well...

Hell, there IS no comparison, is there?

Did I say, "anybody could be a starter on such a weak roster"? I don't recall saying that.

Also, I'm not arguing their prowess for draft trades. I think they're among the best in the NFL for getting picks. I just don't think they do enough with those picks. Perhaps this is the year they all turn it on? We'll see. After four drafts with most of them having multiple first or second rounders and lots of money to spend in FA, I expect more than just making the playoffs and even that's not a given.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Pead has a stronger hold on a roster spot, with the RB situation...but preseason is funny...somebody could "show out"

Givens just restructured...I never have seen that b4...a restructure then still being waved...

Plus both play special teams....

But you never know.....

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Pead will make it. If he stays healthy I expect a big year from him. Otherwise he's done next year. Givens? I don't really see what he brings.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Pead almost certainly makes the team at least for the first 4 games of the year.

Depending on where we are injury wise and who is showing what - it's a bit tougher after that.

For one, Gurley ought to be active. More importantly, Watts is off suspension - hard to see both Watts and Pead on the team.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Pead has a stronger hold on a roster spot, with the RB situation...but preseason is funny...somebody could "show out"

Givens just restructured...I never have seen that b4...a restructure then still being waved...

Plus both play special teams....

But you never know.....

Givens plays special teams? Which ones? Unless you are talking about returning kicks with the 3s.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Did I say, "anybody could be a starter on such a weak roster"? I don't recall saying that.

Also, I'm not arguing their prowess for draft trades. I think they're among the best in the NFL for getting picks. I just don't think they do enough with those picks. Perhaps this is the year they all turn it on? We'll see. After four drafts with most of them having multiple first or second rounders and lots of money to spend in FA, I expect more than just making the playoffs and even that's not a given.

No, you didn't say it, V3.

That was a preemptive strike on my part because I've run into it in discussions with other posters about the merits of the '12 draft.

I should have given you more credit, man. Sorry about that...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With the early 4 game suspension of Trey Watts & the slow easement of Todd Gurley early in this season....Having Pead available to run with Cunningham & Mason sounds like a smart direction to me. When Watts returns in October & Gurley having more time between him & his ACL injury that would be the time to take a long look @ Pead.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10288/todd-gurley

Is not Givens game the long deep throws?? Whats been missing thus far in TC ? Long deep Throws? If were not going to throw deep is there a reason for Givens to win a roster spot over other WR's who game is closer to the LOS? Like a Isiah Ferguson or Daniel Rodrigues or Damian Williams?

Givens cap hit this season is $1,666,257 mil. The others are around $525,000 K. Givens will be a UFA next season when most of the other WR's competing with Givens for that 5th spot are signed until 2018.

It also a possibility that our new OC may think that Jared Cook is more of an WR than TE thus making room for more TE's on this roster than in the past. Both Bayer & Cunningham are have great camps thus far & would be a nice foursome of TE's with Harkey & Kendricks in this new offense.

Last edited:

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
texans need a running back as well. always good to pick up draft picks for non starters. pead is going to get expensive as an ST player.

V3

Hall of Fame
No, you didn't say it, V3.

That was a preemptive strike on my part because I've run into it in discussions with other posters about the merits of the '12 draft.

I should have given you more credit, man. Sorry about that...
NP. We're good. I fully admit I hold a high standard that could possibly be more than necessary. We've been so bad for so long that that's what I feel it's going to take to get over the hump. This year will say A LOT, IMO.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Both should be safe.
But the unknown is if a couple more players are banged up at the final cutdown, not bad enough for IR but not playable which forces he team to carry more depth at those positions. Then I could see Givens hit the waiver wire to clear space.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I would not be surprised at all to see Pead as the 2nd or 3rd RB. I think he is a very good RB. Look at what the guy does when he gets the ball. It's all positive.
If I was the OC I'd have Gurley, Pead, and Mason in all kinds of formations and throw in the FB Harkey as well. A good set up for the long bomb when the D concentrates of the run and Tavon zips past the defenders. Many possibilities, hope to see them.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
I think both Cunningham and Watts are in more danger that Pead. Pead may be a disappointment based on where he was drafted, but he may also be the most trusted all around back on the roster at this point. He can run, catch, pass protect, and play special teams. Obviously Mason and Gurley are more talented, but Gurley's a rookie coming off an injury and Mason is still growing as a route runner and pass protector. Pead has a lot of talent and a complete game. At best he's a weekly contributer. At worst he's a low cost insurance policy. No way Fisher with his run first mentality lets him go. Givens on the other hand better worry. He may temporarily stick due to Sasser's unfortunate issue, but if they were willing to draft his replacement, they certainly will be willing to replace him with another team's cut.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I would not be surprised at all to see Pead as the 2nd or 3rd RB. I think he is a very good RB. Look at what the guy does when he gets the ball. It's all positive.
If I was the OC I'd have Gurley, Pead, and Mason in all kinds of formations and throw in the FB Harkey as well. A good set up for the long bomb when the D concentrates of the run and Tavon zips past the defenders. Many possibilities, hope to see them.

2nd or 3rd RB, Amitar?

And where is the evidence that he's a very good RB in the NFL?

Check this out... http://www.nfl.com/player/isaiahpead/2532926/careerstats

Those are his 3 year career numbers. Total. Absolutely abysmal.

I don't see him getting a sniff of the field unless somehow Gurley, Mason, and Cunningham are all injured simultaneously. And Watts is still on probation.

Meanwhile, there are gonna be 10-12 excruciatingly difficult cuts of promising young players that deserve their shot.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'd like to see if Givens and Foles has any game day chemistry, one-trick pony you say, I'll be happy with a couple of 50+ yards a game, but maybe thats just me...