Will our '12 draft class lose 2 members this year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm talking about Pead and Givens, of course.

I think it's less than 50-50 for each to survive, frankly.

A 4th string RB and a 5th string WR...

That would still leave 5 starters from that class entering their 4th season, if you count GZ. Waaaaay above league average, huh?

Did I mention that they were starters, not merely among the 53? Lol.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I don't see any way pead gets cut. He has been one of the best all around HBs in training camp. If hes not on the team it means the cowboys or some other RB needy team comes calling after he lights it up in preaseason.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I honestly believe Pead makes it. He's had a lot of positive reviews this training camp from what I read from the reports on here. You don't hear much about the guys trying to unseat him. Givens, he could be on his way out. Preseason games will be big for these guys.

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
I think they both make it. If anything, they bring a little bit of experience to an extremely young team and their attitudes seem to have changed for the better.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Pead was good at special teams and pass protection. I think he makes it. Givens, I'm not sure if anyone will be able to challenge him, but he's more up in the air.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think if nothing else Pead stays because of his extra value as a ST guy...Givens is a guy that I've wondered about for a couple of years...As in wondering why he's still on the football team,...After his one trick pony show faded, so did his contributions as far as I'm concerned...

Moostache

Rookie
I am with the consensus opinion I guess...Pead with make the team and may surprise some people. He has the making of a potentially above average to very good 3rd down back. He runs good routes, his hands have been OK and his Pass Pro is better than the other backs. He is very likely safe IMO. Givens is going to need to either really shine in pre-season games or simply hope no one else flashes. There are a few guys that could challenge him for WR#5 if he doesn't really perform well this preseason.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do wish some of the new WRs were lighting it up more on special teams - reports were that none of the UDFAs were doing anything significant on ST. If Givens keeps his job, it's because of that - the new WRs could probably make it to the practice squad, if they aren't big ST guys.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I think Pead has a good chance of sticking based on the reports from camp if the Rams go with 5 RB's, which I think they will be inclined to do since Gurley could be held out of the first couple of games. Pead also took a $700K paycut so his salary is now be more in line with the UDFA's he competing against. Of the UDFA's, Watts is suspended the first four games, Franks (a speed back) has already been cut, and I have heard nothing where Laskey and/or Brown are mounting any kind od serious challenge for a roster spot.

Givens on the other had could be in serous jeopardy of losing his roster spot especially if he cannot separate himself from his competitors.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It appears that I am in the minority re Pead and Givens.

If I'm wr... wr... Wrong, then that means 7 draftees from that '12 class would have stuck for at least 4 years, 5 of them starters. Quite a feather in S&F's cap.

But I'll address the low hanging fruit, first. Givens is looking like a goner. One trick WR pony with alligator arms all too frequently. Unreliable hands at crunch time. Fifth stringer and for good reason. No great shakes as a ST player, either.

As to Pead, he does have the restructured contract going for him. But he's 4th string RB, at the very best. And frankly, Watts has looked good often as I've re watched games from last year. Consistently reliable with both good effort and good results. So maybe Pead is actually 5th string?

Anytime you have a RB that's still trying to "get it" as he enters his 4th season, well... Can anyone think of another offhand? Me neither.

As to Pead's ST contributions, is he one of the top 5-10 on ST? I'm not seeing it. Besides, ST players are the easiest to find and replace on the entire roster, other than P, K, and long snapper.

Meanwhile, there will be necessarily excruciating cuts that must be made among promising players at DL, LB, CB, S, OL, TE, WR, and QB.

Both Pead and Givens have had their shots for 3 years and failed. Time to give a couple of promising youngsters their shot, if you ask me. Law of the jungle.

Of course, if either of Pead or Givens absolutely blows the doors off in preseason, then that's different. But so far that's hardly been the case.

Other opinions may vary. Lol.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'm talking about Pead and Givens, of course.

I think it's less than 50-50 for each to survive, frankly.

A 4th string RB and a 5th string WR...

That would still leave 5 starters from that class entering their 4th season, if you count GZ. Waaaaay above league average, huh?

Did I mention that they were starters, not merely among the 53? Lol.
I wouldn't say that class was "waaaaay above average" when they had two first rounders and three second rounders. Only one is even close to Pro-Bowl caliber(Jenkins), too.

Mamfm5

UDFA
We're probably losing Trumaine Johnson as well.

I am guessing you are referencing 2016. I believe this is related to this years roster, which, Johnson will definitely be a part of. As for Pead/Givens, I don't see anyway Pead does not make the team. I also think Givens makes the team solely based on the inability for any of the camp WR's to supplant him. Though Marquez's deep speed could do it if he can play any sort of ST.

Mamfm5

UDFA
I wouldn't say that class was "waaaaay above average" when they had two first rounders and three second rounders. Only one is even close to Pro-Bowl caliber(Jenkins), too.

Having 10 total draft picks (even with 1 in the first and 3 in the second) and retaining 5 of them as starters 4 years later is pretty impressive. I do think that Brockers, Quick, Jenkins, and Zurlein all have pro bowl talent.

This does not even include Rodney Mcloud, Johnny Hekker (both starters), Corey Harkey, and Austin Davis who were all UDFA's that year. Having potentially 11 players drafted or signed 4 years ago on your roster may not be elite but is HIGHLY impressive.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

You're kidding V3, right?

If I recall, it's considered an outstanding draft if a team gets 3 starters. Simply outstanding. Hell, 2 is considered good.

Even without Pead or Givens we will surely have 5 starters from that class a full 4 years later.

That's statistically off the charts good compared to NFL average.

If 7 draftees stick, that's also waaaaay above NFL average entering their 4th year.

C'mon, man...

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Pead is a lock! I can't believe all the crud he has taken, while a certain first round pick, (who also cost a second round pick) seemingly gets a free pass. It is amazing!
Pead is a stud on special teams, and has every single thing you look for in a third down back. If he is all the way back, he is better than Benny. There I said it.

Givens is another story. Don't be surprised if he ends up in Philly after he gets cut. I think he and Bradford were on the same page, and they could sure use a "go route" guy.

V3

Hall of Fame
You're kidding V3, right?

If I recall, it's considered an outstanding draft if a team gets 3 starters. Simply outstanding. Hell, 2 is considered good.

Even without Pead or Givens we will surely have 5 starters from that class a full 4 years later.

That's statistically off the charts good compared to NFL average.

If 7 draftees stick, that's also waaaaay above NFL average entering their 4th year.

C'mon, man...
I remember reading an article that said 3 starters is considered a good draft- not amazing. And that's considering a normal draft(seven picks). I personally think it goes beyond just number of starters because quality matters when speaking of starters. Two of our best picks that class are a kicker and punter. The other good pick is Jenkins and he's enigmatic. Quick might be good but I'll wait until he actually does it. None of these players are still what I'd consider game changers.

We had a TON of top picks that year. We should have had more than 3 starters from that draft class. And if you ever want to win a SB, you're going to have to consistently draft better than almost all the other NFL teams. I admit I have a high standard for the draft. I just feel that if this team is ever going to win a SB, it's going to have to be outstanding at drafting for multiple years in a row. I don't think they've done that considering the ammo they've had. JMO.