Why the wait? My case for Hunter vs Jefferson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Why the wait to finish the contract extensions and sign OBJ? The more I think about it the more I'm suspecting a pretty big splash trade. One that will involve substantial money being "eaten" by one or both sides. This would mean the team or teams would want to make the transaction post-June 1 to allow them to spread the money out over two years to lower the cap impact. It would be for an edge who the Rams would want to sign to multiple years especially if it involves both teams giving up players in the deal. They would be working these contracts out before the deal is done.

I think what I've heard is probably true. A trade involving two players one from the Rams and one they are trading for. When I look at the roster the only position that the Rams conceivably have the depth for that kind of trade would be at WR. WR money has gone through the roof and going forward just how many elite WRs can the Rams afford? Van Jefferson is an ascending player. OBJ is an established player. If they are going to sign OBJ do they dare trade away Jefferson? I think they would if the player they get in return gives them elite level production and young enough for a full 4 year contract.

That's why I've been looking at Hunter for Jefferson. The Vikings have made no effort to move Hunter even though he's been replaced and he's sitting on their roster with a $25.8 M cap hit. Jefferson is in the middle of his rookie contract. But I think any trade would mean the Vikings eat about $12-$14M of Hunter's contract. This would allow the Rams to sign Hunter who is 27 years old to a 4 year deal with a void 5th and perhaps 6th year to spread the cap. The trade I see is Jefferson + next year's 2nd-round pick for Hunter. This gives the Vikings 3 starting WRs. The Vikings need a third WR and the one they grabbed isn't nearly as good as Jefferson.

There would be a whole lot of moving parts in something like this besides the players. Restructuring AD's contract, extending Kupp's contract, and needing probably to restructure a third player (someone like A'Shawn Robinson) to make room for a player like Hunter and OBJ.

Whether it's Hunter vs Jefferson is all speculation. But waiting to finish the AD, Kupp and OBJ deals shouldn't take this long. I think something is in the works and this is my personal speculation.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
this is my personal speculation.
8AB6C57B-7E23-47A6-BE3D-6F991742AB69.jpeg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's why I've been looking at Hunter for Jefferson.
Lol
Vikings have bitten the bullet on Hunter for 2022, he's already cost them 19 mill. Do you know how much they would "save" if they traded him?
1.4 mill
That's it.
1.4 mill "saving" while absorbing a whopping near 30 mill dead cap hit, whether taken in 1 season or two.
I wont even go in to how silly trading for Jefferson is for them

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I mentioned hunter for Jefferson couple months ago. When I brought hunters name up as a possible cap casualty. At that time though supposedly the Vikings were shopping Thielin. Doesn't mean they can't trade him now as well but they did a restucture with his contract and Hunters as well I believe. A core of Thielin Jefferson and Jefferson is nice they also have Osbourne though so unless they move someone some place else it's kind of the same boat but 4 recievers is almost a necessary evil these days.

I have loved Jefferson i wanted him in the draft I wrote that many times but I'd make this trade 3 months ago when I brought it up and I'd make it today without blinking. Especially if we know or knew Obj is a definite.

It's provides room for the development of tutu and Harris and we don't weaken the reciever room but strengthen edge considerably. Love Hunter!!!

Plan B sign Clowney who is not hunter but free player cost wise and use Van to strengthen a different position.

The thing about Van is you can trade him for a substantial return he has proven successful and ascending on a rookie deal so you can find another player for a position of need for us from a team that's deep on a rookie deal as well and a swap of strengths. Rams do have a lot of options and man they can really make the haters heads explode. Lol

MachS

Hall of Fame
Vikings aren't trading for Jefferson when they have Osborn. He was very good down the stretch for them as a rookie.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guys, the Vikings arent trading Hunter. No way, no how.
I suppose if a team threw a couple #1 draft picks and an impact player, they'd think about it, but they sure as shit arent taking a near 30 mill cap hit in order to acquire a #3-4 WR...

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I suppose if a team threw a couple #1 draft picks and an impact player, they'd think about it, but they sure as shit arent taking a near 30 mill cap hit in order to acquire a #3-4 WR...

No I kind of figured that after the restucture way back when that's why I mentioned the thielin and hunter restructures.

I'm good with plan B though or resign Obj and trade ascending proven reciever on a rookie deal for an ascending proven edge on a rookie deal if a team has depth or knows it won't want to pick up the contract etc.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
As far as I can tell, Jefferson and Rapp appear to be the only tradable assets that won't really cripple us and still provide value in a trade. What we could get for them is another story altogether. There are certainly WR needy teams, but, how they value our guys is the biggest issue. Yeah, as much as I'd love to have Hunter, it isn't happening this season. Sign Clowney and OBJ, then try to make some moves with our tradable assets.

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
As far as I can tell, Jefferson and Rapp appear to be the only tradable assets that won't really cripple us and still provide value in a trade. What we could get for them is another story altogether. There are certainly WR needy teams, but, how they value our guys is the biggest issue. Yeah, as much as I'd love to have Hunter, it isn't happening this season. Sign Clowney and OBJ, then try to make some moves with our tradable assets.
I dunno, I don't think Robinson/Kupp/Skow sounds nearly as scary as Robinson/Kupp/Jefferson.
Unless they really think Atwell can take the top off when they need it.
I don't, at least not for long.

Different story when[if?] OBJ comes back.
At that point Van becomes more expendable, depending on OBJ's contract.
To me, that makes a mid-season Edge tweak more likely.

But at the end of the day, gotta trust McSnead.
Boy are we lucky to have them.

BC

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TCA2k1k.gif

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The Vikings have a sneaky good roster this year IMO. And that division is prime for the taking. I don't see them trading Hunter. Much less for Van Jefferson when they already have Theilen, Justin Jefferson, and KJ Osborne at WR.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
here we go again

It’s not happening. Jefferson made a huge jump from year 1 to year 2. He beat out DJax as a deep threat. Chances are he makes another step in year three (historically speaking, his production is mimicking the three year rule). Why trade a player who had 800 yards and 7 TDs when you don’t have a better option before November?

Just stop.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
here we go again

It’s not happening. Jefferson made a huge jump from year 1 to year 2. He beat out DJax as a deep threat. Chances are he makes another step in year three (historically speaking, his production is mimicking the three year rule). Why trade a player who had 800 yards and 7 TDs when you don’t have a better option before November?

Just stop.
Trade him for Nick Chubb. Makes sense when the Rams are pounding the end zone with a Chubb!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't see them trading Hunter. Much less for Van Jefferson when they already have Theilen, Justin Jefferson, and KJ Osborne at WR.

There is something I think a lot of us are missing. The Vikings WOULD save money on that rectangle panel on the backs of practice jerseys only have to do “Jefferson” one time, it can be used for both players. Might make the trade worth it.

:biggrin:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I dunno, I don't think Robinson/Kupp/Skow sounds nearly as scary as Robinson/Kupp/Jefferson.
Unless they really think Atwell can take the top off when they need it.
I don't, at least not for long.

Agree. We need Van Jefferson. Its a LONG season. I don’t see him as expendable, at all.