Why the 9ers Own Us

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
I don’t get the point. Shanahan studies McVay and LaFluer too.

I just think Shanahan is better at making half time adjustments and exploiting weaknesses. This time Shanahan went to a cover two and brought down an extra guy on the DLine. McVay has never come up with a solution to that, especially in the run game. He is married to the belief in his system and that if perfectly executed it will prevail. His flaw is that it is a lot harder for players to perfectly execute it on either side of the ball. He needs to figure out how to have an answer that can quickly make the opponent regret putting 6 on the line. He can’t just rely on the greatness of Kupp and Stafford all the time to bail him out.

McVay does not have an equal offensive mind to Shanahan’s.

I kind of agreeing with you until the end statement here....its just not backed up by reality

Sean McVays PPG ranking as a coach in 6 years

Shanahans rankings

Mcvays average ranking is 8.4 Where Shannys ranking avg is 15....

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Yeah I enjoyed many whiner turkey teams from '76-'80. They were so bad it was a fun time. If someone told me then that a 17 and then an 8 game reg season losing streak would happen in the future I would've laughed at 'em. So for me starting off anti-whiner and trashing them regularly I still cannot accept losing to them this many times. The big question is when will it be stopped and even turned around? Sick of this shit.
The 17 and 6 game losing streaks each ended with a SB ring. But other than that they sucked.

Laxbird

UDFA
Name
Paul
I'm going to take a slightly different approach to this. I'd say it's less about Shanahan vs McVay and more about 49er team strengths vs Ram team strengths.

For years the 9ers have had a very strong run game on offense and a strong defensive front 7 for pass rush and run blocking. This directly lines up opposite our strategy.

In order for the pass game to work you need the defense to respect the run game and we can't get the run game going because they are very strong there and right now we are weak. We haven't had a dominate 1 man running game since Steven Jackson. So their defense kills our offense.

On the other side we haven't had a good run defense since Laurinaitis and we had one year I think of Cory Littleton. This hasn't matched up well with their massive run game. Now we have a decent run stop package they just throw the dink / dunk because our corners play 10 yards off the ball.

It's just a poor matchup from a strength of team aspect.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Or in other words, they are physical, and we are finesse.
I wish we were a more physical team. It's embarrassing when we look like pussies getting pushed around by the bullies in the league.

fearsomefour

Legend
Scott got burned on two of them, for sure.. Yesterday and the Super Bowl.
I can't remember what happened on the one Deebo threw.
Scott is a physical attacking player.
Teams notice players tendencies.....so, if they are going to run that its going to be toward Scott.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
"I am looking forward to Kyle and the 49ers taking care of our toughest opponents in the playoffs again this year. Do you really think we could have beaten the Packers or the Cowboys in the playoffs last year? I know we couldn't have." - Coach McVay

"Also, I owe the 49ers organization soooo much. I don't know what they want. Isn't two guaranteed wins a year enough for them? I'm almost getting upset about it."

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I kind of agreeing with you until the end statement here....its just not backed up by reality

Sean McVays PPG ranking as a coach in 6 years

Shanahans rankings

Mcvays average ranking is 8.4 Where Shannys ranking avg is 15....
You have to have the players. Look at Shanahan’s QB. McVay struggle with Goff after a few years. How would he do with Garapolo?

Also consider that in the first two years McVay had the league confused with his new concepts. They don’t seem to be anymore.

But where I think the difference really lies is in how they attack the opponents. Shanahan is better at adjusting his offense to attack weaknesses and in making second half adjustments. McVay is very rigid with his system and only adapts it when he feels he absolutely has to, like when the run game isn’t working, or the QB cannot read the entire field. It took him until Carolina this year to make an adjustment. In the second half versus the 49ers they adjusted their defense and offense and McVay didn’t change it. He’s never showed a willingness to change to cope with 6 man fronts. That goes back to 2018. He’s married to his system.

Another area is how much McVay demands of his players to run the offense where Shanahan is a bit better with molding the offense to the personnel he has available.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I can tell you why they can't beat them this year. They want it more than the Rams want it.

Ellard80

Legend
You have to have the players. Look at Shanahan’s QB. McVay struggle with Goff after a few years. How would he do with Garapolo?

Also consider that in the first two years McVay had the league confused with his new concepts. They don’t seem to be anymore.

But where I think the difference really lies is in how they attack the opponents. Shanahan is better at adjusting his offense to attack weaknesses and in making second half adjustments. McVay is very rigid with his system and only adapts it when he feels he absolutely has to, like when the run game isn’t working, or the QB cannot read the entire field. It took him until Carolina this year to make an adjustment. In the second half versus the 49ers they adjusted their defense and offense and McVay didn’t change it. He’s never showed a willingness to change to cope with 6 man fronts. That goes back to 2018. He’s married to his system.

Another area is how much McVay demands of his players to run the offense where Shanahan is a bit better with molding the offense to the personnel he has available.

The numbers don't back up the fact that Shanny "is better at adjusting his offense" if this were the case his offense wouldn't be twice as bad as McVay's historically. Shanny's scheme looks exactly the same to me over the past few years - its a different style as mcvays but its the same as it always has been.

The better roster - thats debatable - a lot of people rave about the 49ners overall roster the past few years.

Not to mention the fact that McVays overall is like 659 and Shannys is .483 - none of numbers or analytics line up with that original conclusion.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Sometimes, its about matchups. Its worked in our favor, at times, too. During the Jeff Fisher era, we beat Seattle 4 time in 5 games, despite Seattle having a much better overall record during that span. We've had success (3-0) against the Brady Bucs during a time when they won a Super Bowl and were a higher seed than us in the playoffs.

We don't match up well against the 49ers. Can we do more with game planning and execution? Sure.

Hopefully, we won't have to worry about it until next year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The numbers don't back up the fact that Shanny "is better at adjusting his offense" if this were the case his offense wouldn't be twice as bad as McVay's historically. Shanny's scheme looks exactly the same to me over the past few years - its a different style as mcvays but its the same as it always has been.

The better roster - thats debatable - a lot of people rave about the 49ners overall roster the past few years.

Not to mention the fact that McVays overall is like 659 and Shannys is .483 - none of numbers or analytics line up with that original conclusion.
Shanahan beat McVay with backup QBs. I’ve never seen McVay abuse a weakness like Shanahan did the Rams right side of the defense and Reeder.

How many years does it take an offensive minded coach to devise a game plan, or even a few plays to make a team regret a specific plan that is very effective against his team?

From 2018-2022 McVay still has no answer for six man fronts aside from specific players playing incredibly. Four years and it’s the same thing. Every team in the league should be playing a six man front against McVay. He’s had four years to figure it out or get the right personnel in to beat it consistently.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think this is overthinking it. Shanahan is clearly a worse coach than McVay, as evidenced by getting beaten down by the Falcons a few weeks ago and his overall record.

It's just a bad match up for us.

And an underrated aspect - Donald and Ramsey tend to have little impact in these games. Donald is almost always invisible. Sometimes you just know that we will need to win a lower scoring game, and that's always the case against the Niners. Our defense doesn't hold up their end of the bargain.

Not letting the offense off the hook completely - but nobody plays worse relative to their actual ability than Donald against the Niners.