Why Puka Nakua is setting NFL records

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If you are a receiver playing with Stafford, you want to earn his trust. He'll make you a star. Ask Kupp and Puka.

dang

Legend
Just my opinion but: Size, movement (filling creases Nakua vs precision route running Woods), YAC (by strength Nakua vs elusiveness by Woods), possession receiver (Nacua) vs check down (Woods) receiver. Nacua is much more like a TE than Woods. It’s early but it looks like Nacua can carry an offense where Woods was a nice complimentary piece.

Psycho_X

Legend
If you Google Puka Nacua and Senior Bowl, you’ll find that his practice reviews early in the week, before he was sidelined with a minor injury, were highly favorable. Shows, once again, how valuable those practices can be in finding NFL-ready players.
Yeah if there is one way to predict who Rams will draft see who does well at the Senior Bowl. That really seems to be one of their main criteria when scouting for the draft. They couldn't give a crap about the combine really.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Just my opinion but: Size, movement (filling creases Nakua vs precision route running Woods), YAC (by strength Nakua vs elusiveness by Woods), possession receiver (Nacua) vs check down (Woods) receiver. Nacua is much more like a TE than Woods. It’s early but it looks like Nacua can carry an offense where Woods was a nice complimentary piece.
Great details.

I guess I’m more looking at potential roles.. both can get YAC & take handoffs and both are really effective blockers.

Puka’s success has largely been against zone Ds… and with no Kupp. But I’m not gonna downplay it… kid has been awesome.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Puka is breaking records because he is a stud and has the leagues best WR as a mentor and he has one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game throwing passes to him. He also has the desire and drive to be the best.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Puka is breaking records because he is a stud and has the leagues best WR as a mentor and he has one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game throwing passes to him. He also has the desire and drive to be the best.
And he is the best weapon the Rams currently have. If Kupp started the first four games, then Nacua’s stats aren’t as amazing.

Not to take away from his ability, but it was a perfect storm in a way.

TexasRam

Legend
Rewatched the Indy game and my God, Puka is a fantastic blocker and competitor in the run game. He has missed a few blocks along the way that look due to his newnesss in the system and not responding quick enough. But several of the big runs in the colts game show Puka getting a key block and just destroying guys. He is just a relentless competitor. It reminds me of this scouting report when he was coming out of the draft.

The scouting report says the following:

“It is easy to be impressed with how he pairs his vertical receiving skill set with complementary pieces of the position as well—he is super physical both as a short target with YAC opportunities and as a blocker on the boundary. That physicality pops up at the catch point as well. He’s firm with his hand fighting and offers post-up ability against defensive backs“.

It also mentions his “insane competitive toughness”.

They really nailed the scouting report on Puka.