Why is this Ram O so difficult to defend?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, the Rams are top shelf in their FO, on D, and ST. But I want to just comment on their O in this post.

I re-watched the Raider game and here are my general takeaways that bode well for this season and beyond.

Someone put a helluva lot of thought into selecting this O bunch. “Fits” were considered heavily in the respective acquisition processes. Not just for the locker room, but for the projected player ability to implement McVay’s strategies.

Consider, in no particular order, the following:

An amazing OL now exists in the front. A mixture of seasoned vets and youth. With impressive depth through at least Noteboom, Blythe, and Allen. With this OL, McVay knows that he can either run or pass as he chooses. And so does his opponent. Lol.

We have an elite RB in Gurley. Possibly the league’s best. Would you trade Gurley for ANY RB straight up? Me neither. Gurley is a terror to defend while running, pass receiving, or pass protecting. Truly a nightmare to defend.

We have 3 WR’s that excel in route running, great hands, blocking, and are all football smart. Two of them can consistently get behind the deep secondary. Geez, what more do we want?

Which brings me to the young Jared Goff. A QB that started to grow up before our very eyes last year under McVay. Smart, dedicated, calm, accurate, subtlely elusive in the pocket, already a master at play action and sweep fakes, can make all the throws... just missed on 4 passes to Woods and Cooks. Something to strike fear into the heart of opposing DC’s because they know he was only off by inches and that will only improve with more reps. And he excels with his ball security, a very valuable thing.

All of the above directed by this Sean McVay O prodigy. It’s possible that McVay has only scratched the surface of what can be done with such an above listed group of players. THAT’s gotta be a scary thought for our scheduled opponents.

But a couple of impressions are already evident.

This jet sweep has been raised to deadly status. Notice to the league was served with 4 different players gaining 6 or more yards every single time that Goff actually handed it off, one was a 19 yard Gurley TD! Then, when Goff faked the handoff the D found itself semi-paralyzed because it was partly out of position when forced to honor it. This will continue all season long and I don’t really know how the opposing D’s can ever fully defend it, given the quality of the players and QB involved. Last year, when Tavon came on the field it was a tip-off hat the sweep might be coming. But now? Gurley, Cooks, Woods, and Kupp are already on the field for virtuall every snap, so no tip-off.

As the announcers said on TV, McVay has designed an O where a run looks like a pass and a pass can look like a run presnap and even a second or so after the snap. Drives D’s nuts!

McVay has the flexibility to tailor his O to attack each week’s opponent at their weakest point. His O is far from one dimensional, IOW.

Another thing I admire about McVay. He doesn’t go into a shell and just run the ball to protect a modest lead late in the game. Oh, no. He keeps his boot on the neck of the opponent while calling some pass plays that result in clock killing 1st downs AND retaining possession of the ball. That late drive against the Raiders was a beautiful thing in itself, PLUS demonstrated his confidence in his players. The look on Gruden’s face could be described as grudging admiration, I think.

It’s early in the season, and the Ram O seemed kinda rusty for a while. But then we started seeing glimpses of what is in store from this O this season. And what other “wrinkles” has McVay yet to display? Can’t wait to find out.

In summary? It seems that Demoff, Snead, and McVay have done a magnificent job of assembling and developing, then deploying a remarkable group of O players that are going to entertain the heck out of us all season long.

And this post is just about the O. Don’t get me started on Wade’s D. Lol.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Agree with all the points but one concern that I have expressed seceras times previously is the issue I have with McVay when he plays elite defenses. He goes vanilla offense which makes us predictable.

My advice to him play your game win or lose. We got here by all the trick plays, motions and uniqueness of our offense let's not abandoned what we do so well even if you do not think it will work.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Great post!! Yes, it's remarkable how McVay knew exactly what he wanted to do, both as a coach and in terms of offensive schemes, and what kind players needed to implement it. And then quickly got them. In particular, McVay has gotten receivers who are smart, disciplined, unselfish, great route runners, can catch and block, and have great physical talent too. Just need that tight end to appear...

McVay didn't draft Goff, but Goff was imo a major reason McVay came here. McVay knew Goff could develop into a great qb for his offense. Goff has been seemingly denigrated for being the the perfect extension of the coach--- but sorry, this is ass backwards!! Not many NFL qbs have the smarts, dedication, throwing ability, accuracy, poise and temperament to do what Goff is doing. Again the perfect fit for the system, which is exactly what you need for a multi-tiered offense like this to function at its highest level.

Think we have to give Kromer the credit for the O-Line, where he has done the same thing. Of course, McVay hired him, and he and Snead have given Kromer the authority to quickly remake the line with his own type of players (who by the way fit McVay's model too.)

And then there's Son of Bum... doing exactly the same on D.

All of this takes knowing exactly what you want and need, and seizing opportunities to make it happen (such as the offseason upgrades on D). And some addition by subtraction- the Rams have rapidly become a very nearly knucklehead free zone. Yes, there's some luck too, but it doesn't happen unless you're ready. McVay, Kromer and Phillips were and are ready.

And we're just getting started.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
The only thing McVay does that frustrates me sometimes is he'll completely abandon the run early in the game, a la Martz. It's no coincidence that we started rolling in the second half when Gurley was featured more. Heck, even when Brown came in the game, I think he accounted for two first downs. Our offensive line is that good.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Starts up front with the making the OL the number #1 priority..... providing the delvelopment of Goff the time to remain UNmolested & continue polish up his pinpoint passing arm. Scares the hell of of DC's who face us.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only thing McVay does that frustrates me sometimes is he'll completely abandon the run early in the game, a la Martz. It's no coincidence that we started rolling in the second half when Gurley was featured more. Heck, even when Brown came in the game, I think he accounted for two first downs. Our offensive line is that good.

This happens often enough that I wonder if it is actually planned. Leave Gurley in a support role for the first half, and then start hammering him down the defense's throat in the second half, just as they are getting gassed, but he is still relatively fresh. McVay seems to plan and replan, allowing for great second half game strategies. Who says this isn't part of it ?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The skill of the individual players.

The ability of the players to understand the game plan, (this is a big props to the coaches too).

The coaches and coordinators.

McVay's unpredictable play calling.

McVay's ability to see weaknesses and attack them correctly.

The Oline. :)

Jared Goff.

Todd Gurley.

The wide receiver group.

Talented backup players for once.

(That's just my opinion in order)

Zodi

Hall of Fame
This happens often enough that I wonder if it is actually planned. Leave Gurley in a support role for the first half, and then start hammering him down the defense's throat in the second half, just as they are getting gassed, but he is still relatively fresh. McVay seems to plan and replan, allowing for great second half game strategies. Who says this isn't part of it ?

Because it resulted in losses to the Redskins, Seahags and Vikings last year.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Agree with all the points but one concern that I have expressed seceras times previously is the issue I have with McVay when he plays elite defenses. He goes vanilla offense which makes us predictable.

My advice to him play your game win or lose. We got here by all the trick plays, motions and uniqueness of our offense let's not abandoned what we do so well even if you do not think it will work.

I don't think he does, He tries it just doesn't fool the elite defenses. Rewatch the Vikings game.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't know if McVay adjusted or if it was his game plan all along. They threw a lot more in the first half, then ran Gurley in the second half. Did the early passing set up the run game? Or did they realize they need to run more and maybe shoulda done it earlier?

It seems like they come out in the second half on both sides of ball making better adjustments. But yeah, I don't know if you can find a better group of skill players than what the Rams have. This team has not played its best football yet. I think they'll get better as the season goes on.

Flint

Pro Bowler

I think there are times when all that fluff isn’t going to work. Remember the Viking game? All that motion had no effect on them, they are good enough to play it straight and dare you to beat them. They were waiting for a mistake and the Rams made one. You start going empty backfield and 7 step drops and you’re asking for trouble. If you can’t line up and play boring football it’s going to be hard to beat teams like Minnesota & Philly

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Don't forget Atlanta in the playoffs. I believe McVay admitted to making a mistake and not using Gurley enough in that loss.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I don't know if McVay adjusted or if it was his game plan all along. They threw a lot more in the first half, then ran Gurley in the second half. Did the early passing set up the run game? Or did they realize they need to run more and maybe shoulda done it earlier?

It seems like they come out in the second half on both sides of ball making better adjustments. But yeah, I don't know if you can find a better group of skill players than what the Rams have. This team has not played its best football yet. I think they'll get better as the season goes on.

After the half McVay slowed down the game, he pounded the ball and worked the PA. He didn't run that much no huddle but supplemented it when we had an advantage with personnel.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All of this takes knowing exactly what you want and need, and seizing opportunities to make it happen
Vision... McVay has vision. It's like golf... you have to envision the shot and take into account everything that is needed to make the shot (what club, swing speed, the elements, etc.)
Then, of course, you have to execute.
But it starts with the vision... just stepping up without that, chances are you'll fail.

Out prior coaches had little to no vision. They didn't know what club to hit... they failed to take into account the elements (opponent) sufficiently. It felt like they just stepped up to the ball and hoped they'd hit a 350 yard drive down the middle.

Hope is not a plan.

McVay has vision and that vision helps him create a plan. The players have to execute, but part of the vision is having players that can learn, then execute. And, having coaches that can teach.

There was little of that in the past regime.

To me, McVay gets an awful lot of the credit. How much? I don't know... but - without him and his vision? Pretty sure the Rams wouldn't be where they are.

Starts up front with the making the OL the number #1 priority..... providing the delvelopment of Goff the time to remain UNmolested & continue polish up his pinpoint passing arm. Scares the hell of of DC's who face us.
Part of the vision. He understands that a QB with no time is an ineffective QB. Don't put it all on the QB most of the time.

This could very well turn out to be a very good year... and those good years could very well go on for a while.

Ram65

Legend
The Rams didn't light it up against the Raiders. McVay likes the big plays. That works more against the weaker defenses and adds to the offensive numbers. I wonder if that can be his downfall against the better opponents. Against the Vikings they took 3 shots down field with little chance of success. That makes it harder to get a first down when you get no yardage on first or second down. I do believe you have to stretch the field but, when you are moving the ball sometimes it's better to just keep moving the ball forward. That helps with time of possession as well that has been a bit of a problem against good teams.

Against the Raiders in the second half was a great example of why it's hard to defend against the Rams offense. The Rams established Todd Gurley on the ground. That opens up the Rams bread and butter, the play action pass. The play I like the most was the play action roll right throw to Cooks that set up the go ahead TD. It was like 34 yards or so on an easy toss, catch and run by Cooks. That same play was open against the Viking last year but, Goff went the shorter pass to Woods for a small gain. The deeper WR was Watkins who may not have evoked the confidence that Goff has with Cooks. The Rams have four playmakers they can go to in Gurley, Woods Kupp and Cooks.

Just watched a youtube where Chris Carter said there are few teams/plays where he doesn't know what the offense is going to do from the formation and tendencies. The Rams are one of them. The Rams can run or pass from the same formation. That's a big key to their success. McVay has now added a new wrinkle , the touch pass. Again teams have to be ready for the Jet sweep but, it could be a play action pass or run. Keeping defenses guessing is what McVay does along with creative plays.

The Rams offense will get better this year. The challenge will come against the better teams and defenses. The Rams and McVay need to put together four quarters of offense in the big games.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Does anybody else have the feeling that maybe Wade helps make the offense unpredictable? Envision McVay asking wade on day 1: What can offenses do to really throw you for a loop master wade?

I just imagine McVay picking his elite DC's brain for some things that really work...just to get perspective from the other side of the ball.

JackStraw

Rookie
Nobody in league runs a more effective play action + historically innovative play calling + excellent players executing excellent plays

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm not saying it always works. :) Only saying that it wouldn't surprise me if there was conscious method to his madness. Considering how much McVay works his schemes, it just can't be ruled out.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I'm not saying it always works. :) Only saying that it wouldn't surprise me if there was conscious method to his madness. Considering how much McVay works his schemes, it just can't be ruled out.

Yeah but he's admitted to getting away from the run from time to time and that was something he had to work on. Good theory-- even one I've considered myself-- but I don't think it's accurate.