Why did Tavon hardly play yesterday.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
but no player on this team has that speed and defenders respect that.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

I believe Cooper could easily do that as well, and probably better than Austin.

Rationale? Cooper has done just as well (IMO) at punt returns as Austin and is a more reliable ball carrier.

To me, Austin does not bring any skill set anymore that cannot be replaced. He is expendable.

Gave him 4 years to show me he's special... that's a more than fair amount of time. He's regressed.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Doubt it. Contrary to what some people think that I have a "man-crush" on Tavon, I do acknowledge his contract. But I don't hold that above Tavon's head like most do.

As far as play goes, he had b/w the tackle runs in college a lot, and was pretty good at it. It never translated to the NFL.

Also I don't know how 8 touches qualifies as "force-feed". But whatever, Tavon is here to stay, he has a role. End of story.
No way they keep him next year unless he restructures his contract . I love tavon too, BUT he can't get om the field at wr and no back up RB makes 40 million .

Simple solution : Tavon learns how to run nfl routes

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I doubt he ever will. I think the guy has gotten by on his ability for so long that he'll never develop that route running he needs to be an NFL receiver. His career will wind down as a gadget and third down, change of pace back who can be thrown to in space near the LOS only. Screens, bubble screens, jet sweeps, etc.

His best option is to go to an offense where there isn't a premium on route running, as well. This is something we discussed the moment McVay was hired, that the roots of that offense require precision, that it is a hallmark of Gruden's offenses where you could watch them running exact depth over and over and over. That plus the fact that Tavon has absolutely zero catch radius is just a bad mix for this scheme.

In an offense with a scrambly QB, where plays go off sched and he can do scramble drill or otherwise freelance a little he would be better served.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

I believe Cooper could easily do that as well, and probably better than Austin.

Rationale? Cooper has done just as well (IMO) at punt returns as Austin and is a more reliable ball carrier.

To me, Austin does not bring any skill set anymore that cannot be replaced. He is expendable.

Gave him 4 years to show me he's special... that's a more than fair amount of time. He's regressed.

Pharoh isn't that player though, nor does he have the pure breakaway speed. They have two entirely different skill sets. It's not as simple as plug and play. He's not the WR/RB role that Tavon is, and he hasn't proven that he can at the NFL. Tavon has, with the exception of fumbling punts (which wasn't a problem until this year for w/e reason). Pharoh hasn't been involved in the offense, while Tavon has and has a part in keeping drives alive and the defense honest (as in the link I provided.)

I like Pharoh, I like his role and I think Tavon is perfect for his role.

No way they keep him next year unless he restructures his contract . I love tavon too, BUT he can't get om the field at wr and no back up RB makes 40 million .

Yeah like I said I'm not ignoring the contract and the Rams will have a decision to make for sure. Hope he comes back, but again I'm not gonna hold it over his head when he plays football.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pharoh isn't that player though, nor does he have the pure breakaway speed. They have two entirely different skill sets. It's not as simple as plug and play. He's not the WR/RB role that Tavon is, and he hasn't proven that he can at the NFL. Tavon has, with the exception of fumbling punts (which wasn't a problem until this year for w/e reason). Pharoh hasn't been involved in the offense, while Tavon has and has a part in keeping drives alive and the defense honest
Again... we'll have to agree to disagree on Austin.

Clearly, you think he adds value... I'm not so sure, especially lately.

I do think it is as simple as plug and play, as evidenced by the large improvement in returns between Austin and Cooper.

Cooper has better instincts. His running style is aggressive, he sees an opening and hits it full speed.
Austin dances around, trying to outjuke defenders and, most times either gains little yardage or lose yards.
The improvement that Cooper brought to returning is undeniable.

I have little doubt Cooper could bring those same qualities if he replaced Austin on the sweeps.
I just don't think running jet sweeps is so specialized that no one but Austin can do it.

Can't disagree that Austin is fast and a potential threat whenever he touches the ball.

But we've been saying that for four years and he really hasn't had the impact we all thought he might when the Rams drafted him. Flashes... that's what we've seen and now his role is diminished to sweeps... something I believe Cooper could do just as well, if not better.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
easy to see if Coop can run jet sweeps, run him on one
train
I don't think McVay will do that unless (or until) Austin removes all doubts in McVay's mind that he (Austin) just isn't effective enough to keep playing at lease some.

The contract might come into that thought process... but I doubt it.