Why Bradford hasn't agreed to "home town" discount yet?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I'm really tired of hearing that "Sam has leverage because it's a weak FA QB market and a bad draft class".

It's just not true!

My opinion is that he won't be let back into team facilities unless he takes a pay cut. Think about it, he's an injury liability and if anything goes wrong during off season conditioning, and he gets injured again, his contract becomes guaranteed and we're on the hook for $13M regardless of whether he ever starts another game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Unless Tom Condon can wipe the memories of every team in the league, he will be negotiating from a position of trying to sell a damaged and tarnished product. Selling Bradford as a hot commodity to the other 31 teams would be quite a feat.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Good point, but I think (hope) it has to be a football related injury.
So we could hold him out until mid July, and I still think that's just too late for another team to pick him up, pay him what (we think) he wants, and expect him to start and meet expectations.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Unless Tom Condon can wipe the memories of every team in the league, he will be negotiating from a position of trying to sell a damaged and tarnished product. Selling Bradford as a hot commodity to the other 31 teams would be quite a feat.

He doesn't have to sell him to 31 teams, he only has to sell him to 5-6 teams that NEED a QB. There are two guys at the top of the draft, who most teams wont be able to get ahold of, and then there is Mark Sanchez as a FA.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He doesn't have to sell him to 31 teams, he only has to sell him to 5-6 teams that NEED a QB. There are two guys at the top of the draft, who most teams wont be able to get ahold of, and then there is Mark Sanchez as a FA.
And the risk involved in signing Bradford to a long term deal is much greater than any of the three guys you mentioned. Name another FA QB or even FA player in 2015 who is a riskier signing than Bradford.

People are looking at this as though Sam has been winning games, putting up decent numbers and has missed only 3 career games with a sore throat. (hyperbole but you get my point). Teams will be scared of Bradford.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

Agreed, but some of the usual suspect are out this year (at least by all appearances) in OAK and WASH. Who is in the QB market either draft or FA (talking immediate need not develop for the future i.e. NO)- I come up with : Bills, TB, Ten., Jets?, Rams, Browns?, Texans?, Eagles?, Broncos?
of those 2 teams have high draft picks and are likely to go that route
the Broncos are in win now mode - most likely Manning comes back, if not who knows what they do
the Eagles with either keep Foles or Sanchez, can't see them not spending there and then spending on a huge injury risk that would be new to their system

so the market is maybe 4 teams (plus us) - but yeah the thin draft and bad FA market will help him...still think it is tough sell since it is unlikely that Sam is far enough along in rehab for teams to evaluate him.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
And the risk involved in signing Bradford to a long term deal is much greater than any of the three guys you mentioned. Name another FA QB or even FA player in 2015 who is a riskier signing than Bradford.

People are looking at this as though Sam has been winning games, putting up decent numbers and has missed only 3 career games with a sore throat. (hyperbole but you get my point). Teams will be scared of Bradford.

Why would you assume anyone is looking to sign a FA QB to a long term deal? And why would we assume other team's GMs aren't capable of acknowledging the people Sam had to work with? Teams won't be scared of Bradford, they'll just use caution and give him an incentive laden deal depending on playing time. To me, he's nowhere near as risky as trading up to get the crab burglar or the skinny duck.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I actually think the Rams have more leverage than one might think. They can cut him September 1, so who is going to pick him up then?
After Not having gone through training camp, and Not having learned a new system.
I would think such a move would hurt the Rams more than him, because they'd then lack the cap flexibility extending him would bring during the offseason.
I'm really tired of hearing that "Sam has leverage because it's a weak FA QB market and a bad draft class".

It's just not true!

My opinion is that he won't be let back into team facilities unless he takes a pay cut. Think about it, he's an injury liability and if anything goes wrong during off season conditioning, and he gets injured again, his contract becomes guaranteed and we're on the hook for $13M regardless of whether he ever starts another game.
Why would you think it's not true? It absolutely is true. IMO, it's the main reason why the Rams are (and have to be) committed to keeping him. When the next best available option is Mark Sanchez, you're going to have leverage. And I would be shocked if he took much of an outright cut. I fully expect an incentive laden contract that allows a healthy Bradford to make every cent he's currently due this year (and he would deserve it).

Also, I don't think the NFLPA allows banning players from team facilities.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame

No, they would certainly protect themselves in case of injury. Like very little guaranteed money, and huge playing time incentives. Basically, they could lock him up for a few years, and cut him without losing much of anything if he doesn't stay healthy. It's low risk, high reward.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
What nobody has addressed, or knows, is how much money are we talking about? Is it $13M or nothing? $13M or $5M? Rams know they're on the hook for $3M regardless.

Rams - "Tom, we're not paying him $13M this year".
Tom - "OK, but no less than $10M".
Rams - "We were thinking more like $4M". And so on.
So in my mind, all we're talking about THIS year, is around $5m. I think Demoff can work around that.

As far as an extension goes, I have absolutely no fucking idea what that would look like, or how it would be structured and/or incentivised.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Because he hates us. Why just the other day I saw him on the street and he was like, "fuck rams fans, especially ram007 in particular."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Healthy Russel Wilson (2 super bowls, 1 SB win, 10-1 against SB winning QBs, most games won in first 3 years as QB, earned a paltry 3 million dollars or so doing it) is willing to take a home town discount.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/...sion-to-keep-seahawks-competitive/#30366101=0

I wonder why Sam Bradford has not already agreed to a "home town discount" and restructured his contract with Rams already.

Don't the Rams deserve it for all the faith and little production they got out of him? I understand the devil is in the details when it comes to Wilson's contract, if this is true, I have my questions about Bradford's commitment to this team.

Aw shucks, wittle wussell Wilson is gonna take a hometown discount.

And still be one of the highest earning qbs in the league.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Because he hates us. Why just the other day I saw him on the street and he was like, "freak rams fans, especially ram007 in particular."
That's what I was thinking. We all know Bradford is evil, greedy, and cares about nothing but himself and pillaging this Organization.
I mean, that's been talked about and reported for years and years. Everyone should know he's the Antichrist by now.

</font color>

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

It's just not true!

Why would you lock him out of the facilities and pay him $13 million instead of cutting him? Just to add that to our cap and punish him? Avoid an injury by not letting him train and therefore be useless to us if he does play? Please explain what I'm missing.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Part of it is just normal negotiating. The other part is that he can still make 12 mil. if he's cut.

Just my $.02, but I think 3 possible outcomes occur. He's not playing in St. Louis. He restructures and makes his contract worth less but can still achieve a lot of $ via bonuses. Or he goes down to say 8-10 mil. with an added year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Healthy Russel Wilson (2 super bowls, 1 SB win, 10-1 against SB winning QBs, most games won in first 3 years as QB, earned a paltry 3 million dollars or so doing it) is willing to take a home town discount.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/...sion-to-keep-seahawks-competitive/#30366101=0

I wonder why Sam Bradford has not already agreed to a "home town discount" and restructured his contract with Rams already.

Don't the Rams deserve it for all the faith and little production they got out of him? I understand the devil is in the details when it comes to Wilson's contract, if this is true, I have my questions about Bradford's commitment to this team.

Because negotiations just really started and they aren't done in a microwave or ordered from a Dominos Pizza menu.

By the way exactly what in that article gave you the impression that Wilson is willing to do a deal with a hometown discount? The only thing I see is the GM talking about possibilities, not one single concrete thing.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Why would you lock him out of the facilities and pay him $13 million instead of cutting him? Just to add that to our cap and punish him? Avoid an injury by not letting him train and therefore be useless to us if he does play? Please explain what I'm missing.

No I meant we would need to restructure his contract before letting him into the building so his current contract doesn't become guaranteed IF he were injured at practice - before any renegotiation is done. That said, I really don't know how his current contract is structured.

FrankenRam

Starter

No, most people are looking at the laws of supply & demand as someone else stated. All it takes is one team that.....
- Sees a former #1 overall pick that, at the time he came out, many thought was a once every 10 yr type talent.
- Sees a #1 former overall pick that's played on a team with VERY questionable surrounding talent
- Sees a former #1 overall pick that was OROY despite the above
- Sees a former #1 overall pick that played on a team with one of the worst 5 yr records in NFL history.
- Sees a QB market this offseason that is VERY shallow on quality talent
- Is a team that knows they won't have a shot at either Winston or Mariotta.

Given all the above (esp the first 4), I would not be the least bit surprised to see Bradford offered $5-6m base salary plus sufficient incentives to make every bit as much, if not more than his current contract calls for. And in reality, I would only be marginally more surprised if the offers weren't greater than that.

Would multiple teams be flocking to him with such offers. Possibly, but not terribly likely. But it only takes one that believes they've got the makings of a good O, and only need a QB to complete the package.

There is certainly risk with Bradford. In particular, injury risk. But history is just that....history, and 'no guarantee of future injury'...to play on an infamous stock market saying. While Bradford getting injured again is a higher probability than others, it is by no means a certainty. He may play the next 10 yr and not miss as much as a single practice.

What boggles my mind is those who call for the Rams to grab a '16 game QB'....as if there is a guarantee on some QB other than Bradford to be that. They could sign/draft someone who's never experienced anything other than minor bumps & bruises throughout his entire football playing life, and that guy could go down with a career ending injury on the first day of OTA. It's just the nature of the game.

lockdnram21

Legend
Because If he gets injured again he probably want get to play again. imo he would be stupid to give a discount when this might be his last contract

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because talk is cheap. Wilson hasn't taken a hometown discount yet. Maybe we can talk when the guy doesn't take a $22 to $23 million dollar per year contract...but I think odds are when it comes time to put the pen to paper, the hometown "discount" won't be much of one.