Who misses this era of football?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I became a fan in the 60's and that was part of the game at the time. That said, I don't disagree with trying to prevent injury as much as possible within the context of what the game is.
Unfortunate injuries will happen, but there's a fine line between playing tough and playing dirty.
Nick Scott's hit on Deebo was textbook. Not intended to injure but to separate the receiver from the ball. As someone else pointed out the ref's could have called a hit on a defenseless receiver but chose not to.
Big difference between that and the hit on Higbee or the kind of hits Jack Tatum was known for back in the day.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
And that dirty lions player should have definitely gotten flagged for hitting Higbee in the knee. That guy knew he was hitting Higs in the knee area and that almost always results in a significant injury. In fact, they should start suspending for 3 games. I wonder what the players actually think about these "hits".

Larry Fitzgerald offered to pay the fines of anybody who got flagged for a head shot on him as long as they stayed away from his knees.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I believe that was against Breese near the goal line. It was text book. I was so pissed.

It was not Brees. It was Josh McCown who was with the Bears at the time, and it was clearly a textbook sack.

Fuck Jerome Booger.

fearsomefour

Legend
I always thought the "big hit aspect" of football was more for the juvenile enjoyment.

Certainly, one part of NFL football that makes it possibly the greatest sport is the courage it takes to put yourself out there and in danger.

However, the tactical/strategic infinite possibilities in football is what makes it the greatest.
Yep.
Sort of like when a guy poses and flexes over a dunk....still 2 points bro.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yep.
Sort of like when a guy poses and flexes over a dunk....still 2 points bro.
That’s if you like the game was played before 1979 in the NBA.The NCAA still kept to the 2 points.
If your talking old school football then it comes down to 3 yard line for 2,but kicking it now days is lined up further out.

—Not very many NFL Fans talk about when say Tony Romo got stopped at the goal line on a botched hold to lose to The Seahags. Fake Field goals were far & in between,but now you can’t hide going for it.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I feel similar. Funny how one evolves and this game we love has evolved in so many ways over the years.
Particularly the way we come to know players from all teams on what seems to be (but really isn't) a personal level. Never wanted to see a Ram get lit up. Or say, a guy like Larry Fitzgerald. But there are exceptions. Antonio Brown? Sure. Light his ass up. Lay him out cold. Maybe some Niners players? Maybe not lay them out cold but light them up? I could come to terms with that.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There’s a middle ground between the old school brutality and improving player safety.

As it seems with many things in modern US culture, it has swayed too far in the other direction.

Middle ground has become antiquated [sigh]

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Particularly the way we come to know players from all teams on what seems to be (but really isn't) a personal level. Never wanted to see a Ram get lit up. Or say, a guy like Larry Fitzgerald. But there are exceptions. Antonio Brown? Sure. Light his ass up. Lay him out cold. Maybe some Niners players? Maybe not lay them out cold but light them up? I could come to terms with that.
When Trent Williams can walk up to a DB from behind between plays, pick him up, and toss him to the ground with only a fine, yeah who wouldn’t have those sentiments once in a while.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
It was not Brees. It was Josh McCown who was with the Bears at the time, and it was clearly a textbook sack.

Fuck Jerome Booger.

Now I remember that play. Absolutely fucking ridiculous.
“Put a dress on them”.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Antonio Brown? Sure. Light his ass up
Also an example of how hits to the head can lead to severe consequences. While he did appear to being a bit of a loose cannon, he really seemed to take a direct flight to looneyville after his hit by Burfict