Who makes sense for signing Lamar Jackson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What team is close but needs a big difference maker at QB to change their fortune?

I’ve been thinking about this a bit.
Seattle signed Geno Smith too soon. They can afford to trade the picks and already have $23 million in cap space. He’d be a game changer for the Seahawks. Right now the Seahawks stand to have over $100 million in cap space.

The Jets don’t have the cap space.

The Bears are too far away. Ditto Houston.

I doubt Josh McDaniel is interested in a running QB.

Is anyone thinking a different team should make the move for Lamar?

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Nobody now. Who wants to pay more than the ravens have offered and want to give up 2 1rsts? No $$ or picks to put any talent around him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Lamar isn’t exactly plug and play into any offense, either. He’s more “fit specific” than the average quarterback.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It’s not Lamar, it’s the contract.

The NFL owners will lock out the players before going to fully guaranteed contracts. Does anyone remember the Cousins contract and how owners lost their shit over it?

Lamar could ask for more with less guaranteed and he’d probably get it. But fully guaranteeing contracts is just something the NFL owners refuse to do.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I saw a tweet earlier today that all a team has to do is add a poison pill year to the contract for this year, and the Ravens literally couldn't match (something to do with 40 mill for this year guaranteed). There were several teams capable of that who also needed a QB. That said, I wouldn't offer that much and give up 2 firsts for him myself. Not to mention the huge change in offensive scheme. I think McVay could actually utilize him right, but no thanks.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I saw a tweet earlier today that all a team has to do is add a poison pill year to the contract for this year, and the Ravens literally couldn't match (something to do with 40 mill for this year guaranteed). There were several teams capable of that who also needed a QB. That said, I wouldn't offer that much and give up 2 firsts for him myself. Not to mention the huge change in offensive scheme. I think McVay could actually utilize him right, but no thanks.

Nah, the NFL oulawed poison pill contracts… after a team put in a “guarantee” to play X games in their home state which of course the other team couldn’t match.

I’d have concerns about Lamar’s longevity as well, but bet it’s 100% about the demands for a fully guaranteed contract

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s not Lamar, it’s the contract.

The NFL owners will lock out the players before going to fully guaranteed contracts. Does anyone remember the Cousins contract and how owners lost their shit over it?

Lamar could ask for more with less guaranteed and he’d probably get it. But fully guaranteeing contracts is just something the NFL owners refuse to do.
There's no reason to lock out. The guaranteed portion of the contract is negotiable just like the length of the contract, total value, signing bonus etc
There will be teams that will offer ridiculous guaranteed deals, but it's not setting precedent
Kirk Cousins deal didnt get Mahomes a 100% guaranteed deal

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Panthers and Bucs too.

Also Commodes and Colts.
I could see the Commodes, the Bucs wont have the cap space and Carolina and the Colts are likely going all in on drafting a QB

Malibu

Pro Bowler
What team is close but needs a big difference maker at QB to change their fortune?

I’ve been thinking about this a bit.
Seattle signed Geno Smith too soon. They can afford to trade the picks and already have $23 million in cap space. He’d be a game changer for the Seahawks. Right now the Seahawks stand to have over $100 million in cap space.

The Jets don’t have the cap space.

The Bears are too far away. Ditto Houston.

I doubt Josh McDaniel is interested in a running QB.

Is anyone thinking a different team should make the move for Lamar?
To me several teams made major mistakes in signing QBs too quickly. Specifically the Giants and Seattle both were perfect for Lamar and should have waited until at least Franchise tagging was over. I contend further at least until pro days were over.

Lamar is way better than either Jones or Smith. Jones got 40m per Lamar you pay him 50m for a MVP, great runner, and 26 years old. Like I always say teams need to ask themselves can they get to the Superbowl with their QB if the answer is no then spend the extra dough to get someone who will get you there.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
With their run first style he'd fit right in with San Francisco
Actually I totally agree or Tennessee or Indy but I would go to either of the last two to far away but SF would total shift the power in the NFC. A bold team to go to would be Detroit I love Goff but with a very strong OLine and tons of draft picks they could make this deal work if they have the money. If I was Lamar I want to go to the NFC because it is imo substantially weaker than the AFC and he will have a better chance in the North or South or even in the West than any team in the AFC.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
To me several teams made major mistakes in signing QBs too quickly. Specifically the Giants and Seattle both were perfect for Lamar and should have waited until at least Franchise tagging was over. I contend further at least until pro days were over.

Lamar is way better than either Jones or Smith. Jones got 40m per Lamar you pay him 50m for a MVP, great runner, and 26 years old. Like I always say teams need to ask themselves can they get to the Superbowl with their QB if the answer is no then spend the extra dough to get someone who will get you there.
Lamar needs an OC feeding him half field reads and shit. If any team wants to bring him in I suggest they ensure they have the right OC in place beforehand.

So I'd keep an eye on Greg Roman. If the Skins bring him in they'd be wise to grab Roman and pair the two up. Nobody likes his offense, myself included, but he's been making shitty simplified-read QBs look good since Kraeperdick.