Who is your favorite sports journalist?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
wv ram said:
Local and nonlocal.

And who is your least favorite?

I think Cosell is my favorite today. The man is not just a talking-head, he really studies the film. I love that.
A thinking-person's sports-journalist.

I also like Howie Long for some reason, i cant quite figure out. Its not because he's related to Chris. I just like him.

JimiTroutBoy is the best of the local guys, imho.

All of the local guys have their plusses and minusses. I dont think any of them are 'outstanding' at what they do. I dont think St.Louis has a 'great' sports-journalist. Cept for Jimi, of course.

w
v
“Paris ain't much of a town.”
― Babe Ruth

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Locally, I have to say Jeremy Rutherford (Blues beat reporter) is my favorite. He takes the time to interact with Blues fans, he never bashes the team, he always has great interviews, and he's the first reporter the team notifies when it comes to free agent signings and the like.

Nationally, I'll go with Mike Sando (ESPN). The amount of facts he uses in his articles is amazing. He really does cover every angle. He covered the Seattle Seahawks for their local newspaper, but you wouldn't know it by the way he writes Rams articles. He's completely impartial, which is the best quality for a national journalist to have.

Dana O'Neil is also a good read. She could've been a best-selling fiction authoress if she had wanted to go down that path. She writes stories about college athletes and problems that plague colleges in an articulate, powerful, and descriptive manner without going into purple prose and melodrama. Very impressive in terms of pure skill and very passionate about what she writes.

Least favorite locally...has to be Thomas of the Post Dispatch. Puts a negative spin on every article he writes, fails to utilize facts, and lets personal bias and prejudice get in the way of reporting. Easily one of the worst reporters in the St. Louis area.

Can't tell you a least favorite national sports journalist; there's way too many of them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I liked what Gus Frerotte brought to the table last year. His interviews and game recaps were really interesting. For entertainment value, nobody is more funny than Scott Van Pelt. Greg Cosell is also very informative because he grinds a TON of tape. I liked Dennis Miller on MNF, but that's only because he made me look shit up - lol. He's a really smart dude too.

Can. Not. Stand. Listening to Adam Schein or Michael Irvin. I'd probably like Irvin more if he could just stop trying to talk louder than everyone in the room and maybe toned down the melodrama.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I like Jaws, it's gonna suck that he's out of MNF. The FOX/CBS tv guys are good, too.

Why did you mention Adam Schein...I forgot all about him until just now. :dangit:

Locally, there's a radio guy by the name of Jim Traber who I cannot stand. Basically, if you disagree w/ something he says, YOU'RE the idiot and don't know what you're talking about. He'll actually say, "you're wrong, and here's why." And if you try to debate, he'll get into a hissy fit and start bashing you, calling you names and such. And he's such a flip flopper it's not even funny. In 2010 during that good stretch of games, he goes "I think Bradford is gonna be a staaaarrrrrrr." Then last year, "Karma. That's all I'm gonna say about Bradford." WTF?! Then, above all else, he calls what he says "the truth" before bashing the next caller who says "how is it the truth when it's your opinion?" Clearly, his head is stuck way too far in his ass.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
X said:
I liked what Gus Frerotte brought to the table last year. His interviews and game recaps were really interesting. For entertainment value, nobody is more funny than Scott Van Pelt. Greg Cosell is also very informative because he grinds a TON of tape. I liked Dennis Miller on MNF, but that's only because he made me look shyte up - lol. He's a really smart dude too.

Can. Not. Stand. Listening to Adam Schein or Michael Irvin. I'd probably like Irvin more if he could just stop trying to talk louder than everyone in the room and maybe toned down the melodrama.
A lot of pop and sizzle lol

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
X said:
wv ram said:
Local and nonlocal.

And who is your least favorite?

I think Cosell is my favorite today. The man is not just a talking-head, he really studies the film. I love that.
A thinking-person's sports-journalist.

I also like Howie Long for some reason, i cant quite figure out. Its not because he's related to Chris. I just like him.

JimiTroutBoy is the best of the local guys, imho.

All of the local guys have their plusses and minusses. I dont think any of them are 'outstanding' at what they do. I dont think St.Louis has a 'great' sports-journalist. Cept for Jimi, of course.

w
v
“Paris ain't much of a town.”
― Babe Ruth

I'm with ya on Cosell and I agree with Babe too. Paris isn't all that in my opinion.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Don Banks from SI..not a big fan of SI but definitely enjoy Banks' overall

Mike Mayock..similar to the earlier mentioning of Howie Long... I dont have anything specific just enjoy his overall contributions.

Most if not all the crew of Real Sports on HBO.

Personally do not dislike most others since if I don't like it I just "discontinue" like a bad restaurant experience mainly food quality. There are so many others to mention as some of my likes.

Agree on Shein, Irvin and I'll include Shefter in there too.

superfan24

Starter
BatteringRambo said:
Don Banks from SI..not a big fan of SI but definitely enjoy Banks' overall

Mike Mayock..similar to the earlier mentioning of Howie Long... I dont have anything specific just enjoy his overall contributions.

Most if not all the crew of Real Sports on HBO.

Personally do not dislike most others since if I don't like it I just "discontinue" like a bad restaurant experience mainly food quality. There are so many others to mention as some of my likes.

Agree on Shein, Irvin and I'll include Shefter in there too.

Agreed on Mayock, enjoy peter king and sando too.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Definitely agree on Sando and the audio/nfc west blog only good thing regarding ESPN- Mike Sando. Peter King is not too shabby either after I open my mind more...he's earned where he's at and has been for awhile.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
NFL:

Greg Cosell
Mike Mayock
Doug Farrar
Michael Silver
Peter King
Nick Wagoner
Mike Sando
Howard Balzer
Jim Thomas (dont read many of his articles but he does accurate reporting)
D.J. Gelner
Turf Show Times
Rich Eisen

NBA:

Zach Lowe
Brian Windhorst
Bill Simmons
Ryen Russillo
Adrian Wojnarowski
Matt Moore

MLB:

Keith Law
Tom Verducci
Joe Buck (I feel like im in the minority as someone that doesnt mind him as an announcer)
David Schoenfield

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm thinking that "journalist" is the wrong word to describe most of these personalities.

My two favorites are -

Mike Ditka

Charles Barkley

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
BatteringRambo said:
Definitely agree on Sando and the audio/nfc west blog only good thing regarding ESPN- Mike Sando. Peter King is not too shabby either after I open my mind more...he's earned where he's at and has been for awhile.

Problem I have w/ King (and Schefter) is he's too smug. I blame twitter, they have to make snarky, uppity comments over every little thing. Remember the Patriots/Rams preseason game, the one when Bradford lit it up? Late in the 2nd half, both Brady and Moss were playing, and Moss scored a big TD. King was like "hey Rams, that's Randy Moss. Cover him" or something similiar. Problem was that it was the Rams' 3rd and 4th string DBs.

i like mike wilbon and steven a smith and kornhiser from ''pti'' and my main man the ''truth'' the real draft analytst ''mel ''the dude '' keiper jr yea baby !!!!!!!