Who is the starting Center?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Has it been announced who the starting center is, or did I miss it? A lot of people thought that Barrett Jones would get the nod (myself included), but he's sitting on Pittsburgh's practice squad now.

I'm going to guess Barnes gets the start, since Rhaney got a look at guard in preseason. The backup center will need to be active on gameday, so he has to be able to fill in at guard as well.

Psycho_X

Legend
My guess is Barnes starts due to knowledge of the game and experience. With Rhaney possibly taking over later in the season if Barnes struggles after Rhaney has more time in the class room and practice. Hopefully Barnes has improved that much since last season though. But I'm scared.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I like Rhaney a lot. I think he's going to be an effective player in the league for a long time, and I'm glad that he's on our team.

However, I have to say that Barnes really did impress me this preseason. Out of all of them, while he wasn't more athletic than Rhaney, he was definitely stronger at the point of attack, he held up better in the run game, and we moved the ball down the field more with him at center.

I have to go with the Mizzou guy. You know, 'cause I'm a homer and all. :p ;)

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I really like what I seen with Barnes this preseason. I also thought the line as whole performed better when he was in there.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
It has to be Barnes. Rhaney was very unimpressive at center, I think he's a much better guard.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
NO INJURIES !!! We had 5 centers with major injuries at this time last season. We've come a LONG way this season. Barnes may be Vanilla but Well's was a Hot Mess last season. Don't remember a dominant game. Yes he was hurt and had a major internal bug too. We won't have butt fumbles this season.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
We will stand by Tim Barnes and we will play good football!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think it was Barnes job to lose.

He didn't lose it.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I hope this isn't true but to me we are in trouble at center. I say that because barnes started at C for a few games. Jones was suppose to be the guy this year. Rahney looked like a player at G but no so much as C. We cut Jones who was suppose to be the guy... i mean think about it, from a potential starting spot to being on someone elses plractice squad??? Not a roster spot but PRACTICE squad. Barnes had game reps last year but the staff apperently didn't like him enough to give him the nod at the position at 1st. So that means from last year to this year he didn't impress the coaches enough but will probably start from defualt. Then Rahney just looked so good at G. But pedestrian at C. Come on guys you have to drink the kool-aid slow.... I think we will be talking about the C potion just about every week.

jjab360

Legend
I hope this isn't true but to me we are in trouble at center. I say that because barnes started at C for a few games. Jones was suppose to be the guy this year. Rahney looked like a player at G but no so much as C. We cut Jones who was suppose to be the guy... i mean think about it, from a potential starting spot to being on someone elses plractice squad??? Not a roster spot but PRACTICE squad. Barnes had game reps last year but the staff apperently didn't like him enough to give him the nod at the position at 1st. So that means from last year to this year he didn't impress the coaches enough but will probably start from defualt. Then Rahney just looked so good at G. But pedestrian at C. Come on guys you have to drink the kool-aid slow.... I think we will be talking about the C potion just about every week.
I'm really not worried, tbh. Barnes might turn out to be JAG, but so are 90% of the centers in the NFL. I've never really seen him get embarrassingly overpowered or outmaneuvered and barring going up against a superman DT like Aaron Donald I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I also like Brown and Saffold to his left and right, so I could see our interior OL actually turning out to be a strength this year. The guys I'm most worried about on the O-line are on the outside, and worried about GRob actually a little more than Hav.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
I'm really not worried, tbh. Barnes might turn out to be JAG, but so are 90% of the centers in the NFL. I've never really seen him get embarrassingly overpowered or outmaneuvered and barring going up against a superman DT like Aaron Donald I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I also like Brown and Saffold to his left and right, so I could see our interior OL actually turning out to be a strength this year. The guys I'm most worried about on the O-line are on the outside, and worried about GRob actually a little more than Hav.
I agree with you. I'd be shocked if anybody but Barnes was starting C vs Seattle. I don't understand waiting until tomorrow to announce it

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Barnes didn't take a game rep at center last year. He was included as the extra lineman in the Jumbo package throughout the beginning of the season.

His previous starting experience came at the end of the 2013 season when he was much lighter. And admittedly not the player he has become. Hence the term developmental player. Both Barrett Jones and Demetrius Rhaney are in the same place as Barnes was two seasons ago. Neither are physically strong enough to get the job done.

Anyone trying to compare this years version of Tim Barnes to that from 2013 will be making a mistake.