Who is the most underrated player on the Rams right now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who is the most underrated player on the Rams right now?​

Everyone knows the big-name players on the Los Angeles Rams. Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, Matthew Stafford, Cooper Kupp. But games aren’t won by just four or five players. And for the Rams last season, it was a bunch of lesser-known studs who stepped up to help L.A. field the No. 1 defense and reach the divisional round of the playoffs.

When looking at the Rams’ current roster, it’s easy to pick out players who are underrated. Darious Williams immediately comes to mind, as does Jordan Fuller, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Robert Woods and Tyler Higbee.

Pro Football Focus picked the most underrated player on each team in the NFL right now and for the Rams, Williams was the guy.

Dating back to college, Darious Williams really doesn’t have any bad tape to his name over any extended period. He assumed the No. 2 corner job in Los Angeles last season and proceeded to earn a top-10 PFF grade, allowing just 48.7% of passes thrown into his coverage to be caught for a passer rating of only 55.4.

Ramsey is an elite cornerback in his own right, but Williams shouldn’t be overlooked. He’s not known nationally by most casual fans, but he put together a phenomenal 2020 season, which was his first as a starter.

With Troy Hill gone, Williams will become an even bigger part of the secondary and presumably see an uptick in playing time, too. Despite being such an important piece of the defense, he played just 80.5% of the snaps in 2020 compared to 94.9% for Hill.

Fans everywhere will become more aware of Williams’ name this season as he looks to make a push for the Pro Bowl.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
For the non-Ram fan, I’d say Woods. He’s out there the whole game to see. He does more than run good routes and catch passes. He’s a tough, smart player who’s also an excellent blocker and team leader.
—doubtful he ever makes a pro bowl, but he’d be the last WR on the team I’d let go.

For us diehard fans, I’d say the remaining OL in general except of course Whitworth. He could stink so bad he’d have to retire by mid season and we would still forgive him because he played such a large part in the offensive rebuild. Aside from filling one interior spot, the Rams are returning a few solid players on that line. Personally, I’m expecting a breakout year from Edwards.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I'll say Jordan Fuller.

Doesn't have gaudy stats, but the D was noticeably poorer when he wasn't out there (when he was injured).

Rookie 6th round pick starter, but we kinda take him for granted.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm REALLY hoping that the Rams spend on DWill and a quality vet LT next offseason. Priority one.
Here's a list of next seasons 2022 FA's Left OT's:

At this point in time, I am not sure if I would want to pay the high cost of having any of these listed these mediocre starting LT's on this Ram team.

None come close to the eminence value of what Andrew Whitworth brought to this team back in 2017. Not even close. That's why I have been banging the drum to go all out on a plan as far as 2019 to try & preserve AW as long as possible. He is almost non-replaceable!

If I had to go after one on the list it would be the Saints Terron Armstead would be my pick but he is always nicked up & has missed a ton of late-season playoff run games plus many playoff games for the Saints. In 8 NFL seasons he has yet to play a full season of games.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
SJD is the one that stands out for me. Fantastic against the run.

John Johnson might turn into a household name in Cleveland if they do well. He is a baller and was underrated nationally when he was here (but not on this board).

Offensively, Havenstein is underrated. Very steady contributor for a number of years.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
What about league-wide? I have a few favourites on other teams who I dont think get enough credit. If Myles Jack played for anyone other than the Jags he would get a whole lot of love. He is a great linebacker, particularly in coverage.

I know Quenton Nelson gets love but he is playing guard at a level that we havent seen since probably Hutchison in his prime. Nelson might be the best ever at that position when all is said and done. I think he is underrated even though he gets a lot of credit.

Budda Baker seems to get the credit he deserves now but he didnt used to. Justin Simmons of the Broncos would be another. Any other suggestions?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, it's Jordan Fuller the defense was so much better with him on the field and this year he takes over for Johnson and will be calling the signals for the defense.
1621182213125.png

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IMO, it's Jordan Fuller the defense was so much better with him on the field and this year he takes over for Johnson and will be calling the signals for the defense.
View attachment 45467
I would agree that Fuller will fill the deeper safety spot in this defense when Ramsey is playing corner.

I would expect Taylor Rapp to start @ the other safety post.

Deep safety Nick Scott who will enter his 3rd NFL season will have an edge as the 3rd safety since he played that role last season.

I not convinced as most here that Terrell Burgess will start @ safety. Not because he, not a real good DB but his type of skills looks to be needed elsewhere than @ safety this season.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Based on this article it may be Cam Akers who is most under-rated, ... and I'm loving it. Akers should have a chip on his shoulder this year and we can all thank PFF for it, so hopefully he comes in and sets the league on fire both rushing and receiving. Rams should post this in the locker room immediately.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, I'm going to go with Darrell Henderson. He deserves a lot of carries. Not as many as Akers, but definitely deserves to have a lot of shots running and catching out of the backfield.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have to go with Havenstein, even on ROD he is under-rated and under appreciated. Yeah he gets beat a few times by speed guys but so does every T in the league. He’s great in the run game and mostly he’s been steady.

He was injured and missed 7 games in 2019. Other than that, 3 games before he took over in 2015, 1 game in each of 16 and 17, I think the last game in 17 where everyone got the week off.

I’d be more than happy with a guy like him at RT every game. In fact, I wish they were all as reliable as him.