Who gets credit for the GSOT roster.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was like 90% Vermiel when you talk about the roster. He built a hard group of blue collar studs exactly like he had done in Philly, and toughened them like steel in the forge of his nasty camps. There probably wasn't one quitter type mentality player on that roster in '99.

The other 10% was Faulk. He was that important and probably a lot of cred to go around on that one, to include Vermiel and the front office as a whole. But Vermiel forged that roster make no mistake. That was his team. Martz was like the fancy ketchup or maybe the bacon added to the burger that put it over the top. It was a true 3 phase team. They beat MFers in all three phases.

And look at that decision to start Warner. That was Vermiel. I don't care what anyone says. Takes balls to make that call even if he was shredding your first team defense with scrubs in camp.

I mean just the QB alone Martz struggled once he had the gig. Him and his Bulger BS. I loved Martz and he deserves cred for sure but he is no Vermiel. What DV did, taking that organization ran by that clueless bitch to the title, was Hall of Fame level coaching performance IMO.
was it Kevin Carter that wanted a break near the end of the Superbowl?

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Good question. A lot of that team was built even prior to Vermeil as I recall. Specifically on defense (Farr, Carter, Lyle, etc). I think a lot of people deserve credit for the way that roster was constructed. Even the "evil ones" got some picks right back then.

The Faulk trade, drafting Holt..... Also Dick V having faith in Warner and being secure enough to turn over the offense to Martz were as big as anything that happened for that team.

Before GSOT emerged with Warner, I remember, how in the world the Rams kept losing to the (**^^%%$@#!# whiners every game when it looked like we had superior talent. Vermeil came in with some talent there but he cleaned out the guys with no heart and rebuilt the rest of the team. Seems like the team had been used to losing and it needed an overhaul.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
tbs jokerswild GIF by Snoop Dogg Presents The Joker’s Wild

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Before GSOT emerged with Warner, I remember, how in the world the Rams kept losing to the (**^^%%$@#!# whiners every game when it looked like we had superior talent. Vermeil came in with some talent there but he cleaned out the guys with no heart and rebuilt the rest of the team. Seems like the team had been used to losing and it needed an overhaul.
Similar to what McVay did.