Who gets credit for the GSOT roster.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Living in rural PA, I rarely got Rams info before the GSOT, when the Rams became popular. They went through a few GMs before that, iirc.

So who gets the most credit for building that team in your mind? Martz, Vermeil, current or previous GM?

I know all about how it was torn apart.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Good question. A lot of that team was built even prior to Vermeil as I recall. Specifically on defense (Farr, Carter, Lyle, etc). I think a lot of people deserve credit for the way that roster was constructed. Even the "evil ones" got some picks right back then.

The Faulk trade, drafting Holt..... Also Dick V having faith in Warner and being secure enough to turn over the offense to Martz were as big as anything that happened for that team.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
D8ckerson has stated the HE was responsible for the Faulk trade happening. According to him, shaw had already decided that a trade for Faulk was stupid. Dickerson then came in and basically talked the dumb fuck into making the deal.

According to ED2105

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im not a fan of Vermeil the HC, but solely place the credit for that roster on him.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Living in rural PA, I rarely got Rams info before the GSOT, when the Rams became popular. They went through a few GMs before that, iirc.

So who gets the most credit for building that team in your mind? Martz, Vermeil, current or previous GM?

Yeah.
Martz and Vermeil.
And they got crazy lucky on Kurt Warner because nobody would have guessed that one.

(in my EXTREMELY humble opinion) :)

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
D8ckerson has stated the HE was responsible for the Faulk trade happening. According to him, shaw had already decided that a trade for Faulk was stupid. Dickerson then came in and basically talked the dumb fuck into making the deal.

According to ED2105
K

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Im not a fan of Vermeil the HC, but solely place the credit for that roster on him.
I agree. He (and Charlie Army) built that roster. I don't think we can give any credit to Martz. He helped tear it down. It took him a few years but after 2003, they were a shell of 1999. Of course Ziggy deserves as much of the blame. IMO, Martz gets the lion's share of credit for Vermeil's players being TGSOT.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Orlando Pace was Dick Vermeil. He saw a lot of Pace at OSU when he was still in the broadcast booth.

From memory, Dickerson did lobby the Rams to trade for Faulk. How hard could've been to make that case, though. If he's claiming to be the reason why it happened, then he's overstating his role in the whole thing(how unusual).

There was some good luck involved too - London Fletcher as a UDFA. Warner not being taken in the expansion draft.

Vermeil and Armey for player acquisition and Martz for getting the absolute most out of those players.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That roster had a lot of finds, solid draft choices. Got to credit Armey.

Vermeil made it all a team.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

For “building it?” - I’d say the most credit should go to Armey.

TexasRam

Legend
The credit goes to that long haired robe wearing Jesus guy.

During the Super Bowl victory celebration, Kurt Warner said "Thank You Je-sus!".

So, clearly this Jesus guy was the man behind the scenes orchestrating the whole thing.

Plus I seem to recall crying out to the heavens on a weekly basis to make all the suffering stop. :crying:
:bigcry: The 90's were rough man.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@den-the-coach rolling over in his grave with this take
Season 5 Episode 6 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. He (and Charlie Army) built that roster. I don't think we can give any credit to Martz. He helped tear it down. It took him a few years but after 2003, they were a shell of 1999. Of course Ziggy deserves as much of the blame. IMO, Martz gets the lion's share of credit for Vermeil's players being TGSOT.
We CAN credit Martz with drafting Nebraska's Heisman winning QB Eric Crouch to play wide receiver. I mean, that was a homerun, right?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Vemail credit for fix
That roster had a lot of finds, solid draft choices. Got to credit Armey.

Vermeil made it all a team.
Yep, Vermeil gets credit for fixing the front office by bringing in Charlie Armey as well. As you stated he found a lot of mid & late round gems and UDFAs and of course Warner.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Vemail credit for fix

Yep, Vermeil gets credit for fixing the front office by bringing in Charlie Armey as well. As you stated he found a lot of mid & late round gems and UDFAs and of course Warner.
He found me too, ya bastid! ! ~ Green

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Losing gets the credit. When you finish in last place for 9 straight years, the one guarantee is that you're going to end up with a lot of high draft picks on your roster at some point.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It was like 90% Vermiel when you talk about the roster. He built a hard group of blue collar studs exactly like he had done in Philly, and toughened them like steel in the forge of his nasty camps. There probably wasn't one quitter type mentality player on that roster in '99.

The other 10% was Faulk. He was that important and probably a lot of cred to go around on that one, to include Vermiel and the front office as a whole. But Vermiel forged that roster make no mistake. That was his team. Martz was like the fancy ketchup or maybe the bacon added to the burger that put it over the top. It was a true 3 phase team. They beat MFers in all three phases.

And look at that decision to start Warner. That was Vermiel. I don't care what anyone says. Takes balls to make that call even if he was shredding your first team defense with scrubs in camp.

I mean just the QB alone Martz struggled once he had the gig. Him and his Bulger BS. I loved Martz and he deserves cred for sure but he is no Vermiel. What DV did, taking that organization ran by that clueless bitch to the title, was Hall of Fame level coaching performance IMO.