Who exceeded expectations the most in 2021, and who will in 2022?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the category of "exceeded expectations," I'd say the players that stood out the most in 2021 were Brian Allen on offense and Greg Gaines on defense.

I have no problem admitting that I had little faith in Allen going into the season, but he proved me wrong. While he's not going to make anyone forget Rich Saul or Doug Smith, he was a solid and consistent contributor. As for Gaines, he got his chance when Sebastian Joseph-Day was injured, and really performed well enough to secure the starting spot and make SJD expendable.

So which of our players who is not expected by many to be many to make an impact do you think will make a significant jump this season?

My candidates:

Offense: Kendall Blanton. I know @Loyal thought I'd go with Tutu, but Blanton showed flashes in the playoffs and, with Johnny Mundt gone, he'll have the chance to secure the No. 2 TE spot. I considered whether to predict Brycen Hopkins, but I think Blanton's size (260 lbs.) and versatility will keep him above Hopkins on the depth chart.

Defense: Bobby Brown. With SJD gone, Brown has a great chance of securing a role in the DL rotation. I think he has more upside than Michael Hoecht and Marquise Copeland, and could be a significant contributor in what I expect to be an outstanding run defense.

Who are your risers for 2022?
I like both of your picks.
I like what I saw from Blanton in the playoffs, when he hadn't had that many snaps in the regular season.
Bobby Brown was good on the other side and hopefully becomes a monster!
I think Gaines will get even better. We need to lock him up this year!

fearsomefour

Legend
For this coming year.....
Scott....I think he ends up with a starting role or at least a lot of snaps.
Harris at TE....lots of candidates at TE behind Higbee to contribute. We may get surprise contributions from multiple guys.
Whoever ends up punting....

Tano

Legend
Hopefully I am eating crow about Tutu after this year. From the little I remember about him last year, he seemed skittish about getting hit. I was half kidding about surviving his first hit, so relax about that. You obviously have high hopes for him and that's ok.
I don't.
I hope I am eating crow about his size as well.

Tano

Legend
I hope I am eating crow about his size as well.
However, we won't know for sure until he either plays at least 12 games (that's my minimum for his size) or the first year end injury he gets that is clearly due to being hit hard and his body not being able to take it.

Last year he got hit hard and was out for the year with a shoulder injury. I know it can happen to anyone but if it keeps happening .... well then it is because he is too small and susceptible to injuries due to his size.

That's going to be my basis for eating crow or not.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully I am eating crow about Tutu after this year. From the little I remember about him last year, he seemed skittish about getting hit. I was half kidding about surviving his first hit, so relax about that. You obviously have high hopes for him and that's ok.
I don't.

he was a horrible punt returner. never looked comfortable in that role. hopefully mcvay has shelved that idea moving forward.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
2021 - I expected Ernest Jones to show, so it wasn't a surprise when he did. Travon Howard, on the other hand, wasn't even on my radar. His contribution was exceptional, especially considering that he was covering for an injured Jones. Honorable mention to Nick Scott who was phenomenal in the playoffs. I wasn't surprised by the DL and can't discern how much of it is just the "AD effect".

2022 - It has to be Rochelle. The pressure on Rochelle to develop into a viable boundary corner opposite JR is immense. If not, the integrity of our defense is going to be constantly compromised. We all saw our diminutive corners get abused by tall WRs (i.e., vs. the Cardinals). / We saw in the draft that we drafted another short corner when we could have drafted another tall corner to compete with Rochelle (Zion who was drafted later by Tampa). So I think that says a lot. Either about the coaching staff's confidence in Rochelle. Or in our FO incompetency in not getting Rochelle insurance. Recently, we've trusted the guys that we've drafted and it's worked out (with the exception of Lewis (injury), Long and Tutu). But time will tell.

That said, I really like Durant and would rather see him on the field in Nickle than Long/Deayon/Hill who don't have his upside or playmaking ability. I see Hill as insurance for CB2&3, but the less he starts the better so our young guys can develop.

I also expect Hollins to ball out versus the run, and Wagner to have a career year in sacks (over 5) and pressures. But our Secondary just has to be better than it was last year now that we don't have the "eraser" that was Von Miller.

/Just realized I'm completely focused on Defense. :D

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We saw our diminutive corners get abused? We gave up 300 yards passing or more in 4 games. And we won 2 of them. We only allowed 17 passing TDs in 17 games, 1 or less in 11 games. If that's getting abused.....

I agree, we're all hoping Rochell breaks out but we don't need a rescue.

dang

Legend
We saw our diminutive corners get abused? We gave up 300 yards passing or more in 4 games. And we won 2 of them. We only allowed 17 passing TDs in 17 games, 1 or less in 11 games. If that's getting abused.....

I agree, we're all hoping Rochell breaks out but we don't need a rescue.
What I saw was the defense getting abused in the middle by the dink/dunk passing and a terrible LB run defense.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
What I saw was the defense getting abused in the middle by the dink/dunk passing and a terrible LB run defense.
The LB run defense will be much improved. The dink/dunk was by design. When you have an offense that puts up 27+ a game, you don't want to give up cheap scores. If they matriculate it 75 yards, more power to them. But the more plays and the more yards an offense has to go the better the odds they'll fall short. I never understood the complaints about Morris' bend but don't break D.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
CB Robert Rochell was on the verge of beating out D Will mid season so he's my pick for this upcoming season on DEF
my runner up on DEF: Justin Hollins

RB Kyren Williams will get enough carries to be worthy of this vote.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Been thinking about this and it is tough for last year due to so many stepping up. But I will go with Robinson because I was all over his nuts and he ended up dominating as a run stuffer.

For this season gonna go with Durant. His ball skills are different and that should translate big time.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I really wanted to say Lewis and, if you could convince me he'll be/stay healthy, I very well might have. He definitely has talent.

Wait what ?? Get it straight please ?

E. Brown plays OLB/DE

E.Jones plays mlb/wlb

B Brown DT/DE

I like the Brown,but E. Jones is really getting after it. He has such a GREAT attitude it’s unbelievable.He is still only 22 years old. He got injured the 1 game(2nd ?) he was wearing the green Mic. His confidence was sky high. He cameback in The SuperBowl to set the Tone on Defense with his 4th down breakup ? Now Bobby Wagner is mentoring the Hungry 2nd year kid.

Just saying I don’t know your prediction 2021

If it’s Lewis ?? Yeah he has that Diva in him. That hit against Gronk was a game changer.Gronk was playing at a Pro Bowl level & he just broke Gronk Ribs by picking him up over the middle.
T. Lewis & Hollins have been ask to cover & play a little OLB/Inside at times covering the TE’s. I like what Raheem Morris was asking of them.
Then again The Rams should have fired Morris during the season for those calling for his head. It’s those lessons & experiences that propel players to become better.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Been thinking about this and it is tough for last year due to so many stepping up. But I will go with Robinson because I was all over his nuts and he ended up dominating as a run stuffer.

For this season gonna go with Durant. His ball skills are different and that should translate big time.

That is a BOLD prediction…. On offense? Does Alan Robinson go over 1,000 yards again ? Jefferson is interesting choice vs any other WR besides Kupp & Robinson.

I’m still thinking if Funk gets cut ? This Williams guy only ran a 4.65 40 & is 200 lbs soaking wet if lucky.Don’t see how he will be good at pass pro in The NFL. I know is predictions for ,but is a process of elimination.

Durant is an interesting choice. Troy Hill is what David Long wants to be.The 4.37 40 is a nice asset to have & his recovery speed. DD21 held up so we know there is a open spot that Durant should excel over time much more in time.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wait what ?? Get it straight please ?

E. Brown plays OLB/DE

E.Jones plays mlb/wlb

B Brown DT/DE

I like the Brown,but E. Jones is really getting after it. He has such a GREAT attitude it’s unbelievable.He is still only 22 years old. He got injured the 1 game(2nd ?) he was wearing the green Mic. His confidence was sky high. He cameback in The SuperBowl to set the Tone on Defense with his 4th down breakup ? Now Bobby Wagner is mentoring the Hungry 2nd year kid.

Just saying I don’t know your prediction 2021

If it’s Lewis ?? Yeah he has that Diva in him. That hit against Gronk was a game changer.Gronk was playing at a Pro Bowl level & he just broke Gronk Ribs by picking him up over the middle.
T. Lewis & Hollins have been ask to cover & play a little OLB/Inside at times covering the TE’s. I like what Raheem Morris was asking of them.
Then again The Rams should have fired Morris during the season for those calling for his head. It’s those lessons & experiences that propel players to become better.
Dude…what the heck are you talking about? I stated that Lewis could be viewed as a potential riser if he could stay healthy. What are you responding to?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
2021 Robinson

2022 Skowronek (or Harris)

Tutu will make more noise than Harris. I think Hopkins pushes for playing time in the WR/TE slot than Harris. —Ben Sko -I see learning under(from) Cooper Kupp is priceless.
They do have similar skill sets.Not just the white thing either.

Akers & JJ Koski will tear it up in the preseason.The Rams work hard competing.They will only make The DB’s better.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Dude…what the heck are you talking about? I stated that Lewis could be viewed as a potential riser if he could stay healthy. What are you responding to?

Your response to the other response. Just the way I reposted to your Lewis response so it was meant for that poster. My bad as that goes.

Lewis is a good choice. I’ll add to all those that might be forgetting Hollins. I doubted him during OTA’s.

Hollins won the starting RDE/OLB & was a Force during training camp.He got hurt & then hurt again ? Not sure about how it all went down. His health with a Peek injury before SJD69 had a similar injury. Both those players going down & Lewis was never 100% either effected the depth.

Williams was getting playing time & got cut.Robinson & Gaines were ask to do a lot. The Von trade happened after the Kenny Young trade.

Anyway I doubted Hollins as a player.He showed last season his diverse ability as a LBer.Coming back as a OLB/ instead of that RDE/OLB Miller took over showed an extra skill set.

Basically as much as I doubted Hollins after basically being The Rams starter in 2020 & 2021 will only be that much better. I think he Totally Surprises Ram Fans.

So I call your T. Lewis #52 & raise you Justin Hollins #58 I do believe in Lewis & think he stays healthy.

I also believe in Chris Garrett. He didn’t look good at all in training camp,but as RDE on the edge once he got switched found his position on the DLine.

My question is what The Rams new LB coach Chris Beake thinks. Thad Bogardus already knows what he thinks.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

As far a your Bobby Brown pick goes,I went to a OTA & thought he looked excellent. Quick if the ball with power.He actually stood out to me more than say Greg Gaines or Robinson.
Then In training camp came around that player sort of disappeared.I think he got hurt or wasn’t a 100%. Plus training camp became more serious & the level really accelerated.He is also The Youngest Ram at 21 years old.His upside is tremendous.

Eric Henderson is The Best DLine coach in The NFL bare-none.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
2021 - ILB Ernest Brown

2022 - I'm leaning towards OLB Terrell Lewis or CB Robert Rochell

Anyway - here is the post. I like both picks in 2022.

Ernest Brown I really hope plays well of improves.He imo is to slow off the ball & needs to work hard to find his niche in The Rams defense.He got cut & was a practice squad guy.