Which Team Goes After Nick Foles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm sorry dude but it's just hard for me to wrap my head around the statement that "Foles Gold" equals Super Bowl MVP.

A cute little nickname though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Probably stays in Philly.....unless they'd move him for a 2nd round pick. No one is offering a first....which I think Philly WOULD trade him for...maybe???

nighttrain

Legend
Probably stays in Philly.....unless they'd move him for a 2nd round pick. No one is offering a first....which I think Philly WOULD trade him for...maybe???
Eagles would be smart to keep Foles till Wentz is 100% just my thinking
train

LuvMeThemRams

Rookie
I agree with PhillyRam, platoon Wentz AND Foles, they each have their own strengths and weeknesses. Each one would match up differently with different defences.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah.
If I was Philadelphia I would keep him around for one more year.
You might need/want/love to have someone QBing to make a Superbowl run for you that has some experience at it.

:D

Wentz is unlikely to be ready by opening day, and it might be much longer than that due to the nature of his knee injury. That makes Foles invaluable to the Eagles. I can’t see a trade offer that would entice them, frankly. Unless they are really, really high on Sudfeld.

I'll go one further..........they HAVE to keep Foles because Wentz is always going to be an injury risk. He's a running QB.

They would be wise to try to get him signed to a two year extension.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Eagles would be smart to keep Foles till Wentz is 100% just my thinking
Would be smart of the Eagles...but Foles should strike while the iron is hot....if he wants his own team to lead...he should leave as the SB MVP.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
good thot, but Foles under contract to Eagles for 2018 season?
yep, $3 million signing bonus....being on the roster in new league year....$4 million in salary....1 year left on 2 year deal....
Pretty sure they'd do him a solid and facilitate a trade of some kind if he asked.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Losing DeFilipo and possibly Reich? Yeah they’ll need to keep Foles around as an unofficial assistant coach

WestCoastRam

Legend
No lose situation for the Eagles, set a price and see if people match. If not, you've got a top backup to an injury prone QB.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm lost, isn't he under contract?
Your right, I wasn't thinking! But I think he's only under contract thru 2018, so they can keep him on the Cheap, and Transition Tag him in 2019, IF the want, to find out his worth!;)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-two-first-round-picks-in-a-nick-foles-trade/

Eagles reportedly might demand at least two first-round picks in a Nick Foles trade

The Eagles do not win Super Bowl LII, the franchise's first Super Bowl title since its inception, without the services of Nick Foles. Carson Wentzdeveloped into an MVP candidate during the season but tore his ACL late in the year against the Rams. Foles stepped in and led the underdog Eagles to three playoff wins, including a 41-33 Super Bowl win over the Patriots.

It earned him Super Bowl MVP honors, high praise from some alright (alright, alright) celebrities, and now it's apparently sent his trade value through the roof.

Foles is definitely a trade candidate, but it's hard to imagine the Eagles shipping him out of town for nothing. Not only does he appear happy in Philadelphia -- and he knows how much that means after nearly retiring during a rough stint with the Rams -- but Philly needs to make sure they have ample insurance for Wentz as their franchise quarterback recovers from serious knee surgery.

To that end, Peter King of TheMMQB.com, who spent several days post Super Bowl embedded with the Eagles, believes it would require two first-round picks to even have the discussion about prying Foles away.

King says he doesn't think the team will trade him, primarily because GM Howie Roseman and coach Doug Pederson see "the backup quarterback is one of the 10 or 12 most important players on the team." But if they do, it will be expensive.

"I don't think Philly trades quarterback Nick Foles, unless some team makes an offer that start with two first-round picks," King writes. "Even then, I'm skeptical they'd pull the trigger. This is why they got Foles in the first place -- because GM Howie Roseman and Pederson think the backup quarterback is one of the 10 or 12 most important players on the team."

This seems pretty ambitious, although it may simply be a byproduct of the Eagles not wanting to trade Foles at all. Again: Wentz is coming off ACL surgery, and while he is slated to be ready for Week 1, there is nothing guaranteed about him making it back. If he were to suffer a setback during the offseason and the Eagles were to trade Foles, they'd have to roll with Nate Sudfeld or whomever else they brought on board. All due respect to Sudfeld/QB TBD, but making the postseason is a fine line in the NFL and you don't want to risk missing the playoffs (or losing homefield advantage, etc.) because you felt like you had too many good quarterbacks.

On the other hand, it is hard to imagine the Eagles getting two first-round picks for Foles. He is under contract for one more year, which is nice, but the Patriots just got a second-round pick midseason for Jimmy Garoppolo, who has a much better long-term outlook as a starter than Foles. Foles is only 29, but he has a bit of "is he what he is" about him, and you need to replicate the system Pederson and Co. had in place. This is why the Vikings, with new OC John DeFillippo, could make sense, but they're not giving Philly any more first-round picks for quarterbacks.

I've said or written a lot about Foles this offseason, just like most people. And here's my take on the trade market: if the Eagles can get a first-round pick for him, they have to take it and run. If they can get the deal the 49ers got from the Chiefs for Alex Smith -- two second-round picks -- they probably have to take it and run too. Trading Foles for a single second-round pick, especially one that isn't high in the draft, seems unnecessary given Wentz's injury situation.

Foles's value isn't getting higher than it is right now. You couldn't blame Roseman if he took what was on the table for his backup quarterback. He has been willing to move and shake with his quarterbacks in the past. But the Eagles also have to take a long-form approach to the roster. They built a team with enough talent on the offensive and defensive lines to attempt and repeat next year. This was not a one-and-done run built on high-spending free agency.

It was also a run that doesn't happen without Foles, which only emphasizes just how much the Eagles need to make sure they have sufficient talent at the position to back up Wentz. Which might explain why they are only willing to trade Foles under the best-case scenario.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still can’t figure out Foles contract, and how it was allowed. He signed a 5 year deal that voids if he’s still under contract when league year 3 officially begins. So in order to not void the deal he has to be released first, thus voiding the deal....

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I'll go one further..........they HAVE to keep Foles because Wentz is always going to be an injury risk. He's a running QB.

They would be wise to try to get him signed to a two year extension.
I dont see Wentz running as much anymore. I mean his team just won the super bowl without him bc he decided to take off. I think he learned his lesson, imo.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I dont see Wentz running as much anymore. I mean his team just won the super bowl without him bc he decided to take off. I think he learned his lesson, imo.

He has repeatedly said he is not going to change his playing style.