Where's the Sizzle in the NFL Draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
From JT:

All around the NFL, scouting and personnel departments are climbing into their bunkers. Visibility is limited because the smokescreens have started.

Yes, the draft is just around the corner — less than four weeks away. And if anyone tells you they know what will unfold on April 25-27, they’re lying.

“I think this is the most unpredictable draft that I’ve ever witnessed,” says Gil Brandt, as sharp as ever dissecting the draft for NFL.com. “The player that you get at 10 is the same player that you’re gonna get at 16, at 18, at 30. This is a great draft for guys that are picking from 10 to 50.”

“Without question,” says Russ Lande, a former Rams scout who has added a new title to his varied résumé — director of college scouting for the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League. “The fact that there’s a lot of very good players but no real elite guy that’s above everybody else means it’s an unpredictable draft.”

There’s no sizzle at the top, in large part because of a lack of skill-position players with star quality.

“All the quarterbacks have questions, even though I like Ryan Nassib (of Syracuse) as the top guy,” said Lande, who continues to analyze the draft for several media outlets despite his new job. “Every one of them seems to be debated.

“The only receiver everyone thinks will be a top-10 pick is the kid from Cal (Keenan Allen) and that’s only if he works out and proves he’s healthy on April 9. And there are no running backs. So when you have no ‘skill’ guys, everybody’s just jumping around getting their favorite d-lineman or offensive tackle.”

Actually, some think the only top-10 wide receiver is Cordarrelle Patterson, of Tennessee. And some “experts” think there won’t be a wide receiver taken in the top 10 this year.

From a Rams perspective, with the No. 16 and No. 22 picks in the first round, they’re hoping that as many quarterbacks as possible — and no wide receivers — go in the top 15. If Brandt’s read is correct, and the place to be in this draft is picks 10 through 50, then the Rams are in a good spot.

Besides their first-rounders, the second of which came via the Robert Griffin III trade with Washington, the Rams also have No. 46 overall – in the second round.

With only eight picks total, the Rams are unlikely to trade up because they still need bodies as they continue their roster upgrade. Trading down is another matter but barring that, they have no choice but to let the first round come to them.

Obviously, who gets taken in the first 15 picks will have a lot to do with what the Rams do at No. 16. Who will be left? The Rams would like nothing better than for Nassib and fellow quarterbacks Geno Smith of West Virginia and Matt Barkley of Southern California to go in the top 15.

But even at the top of the draft, nothing is set in concrete. For example, would Jacksonville take a quarterback at No. 2 just two years after selecting QB Blaine Gabbert (of Missouri and Parkway West High) at No. 10?

“I don’t know what Jacksonville’s gonna do,” Brandt said. “I find it hard to believe they’re playing charades with quarterbacks when they’re flying all around the country. The owner’s son (Tony Khan) was out there and the whole staff was out at USC (for Barkley’s pro day). The owner (Shahid Khan) and his son and the whole staff were at West Virginia (for Smith’s pro day).”

And what about Kansas City at No. 1 overall?

“I was sure that Kansas City’s gonna take Luke Joeckel (the offensive tackle from Texas A&M),” Brandt said.

But then Kansas City had a private workout with Smith, the West Virginia quarterback.

The status of three defensive players could have a trickle-down effect on the Rams as well: defensive tackle Star Lotulelei of Utah, and Georgia linebackers Jarvis Jones and Alex Ogletree. As tempting as Jones or Ogletree might be for the Rams, they need offense so they’re probably better off if the trio goes in the top 15 and gives them the pick of the litter at wide receiver, running back or even defensive line.

Will Lotulelei’s stock drop because of a heart condition?

“With Star, from what I was told, the second doctor cleared him,” Lande said. “I’m sure any team that’s interested is gonna give him their own physical. If they clear him, he’s gonna be a top-10 pick because he to me is the best defensive tackle in the draft by far.”

Jones, meanwhile, has stenosis (or a narrowing) of the spine, which could concern some teams. In addition, he was far from stellar at his pro day, running a 4.92 in the 40, a time more suited to defensive end than linebacker.

“Not only are there medical questions (with Jones), there are people who question him as a player,” Lande said. “I do. I don’t think he’s an elite player. ”

As for Ogletree, he has the double whammy of being suspended for four games at the start of the 2012 season — reportedly for violating Georgia’s team substance abuse policy — and then being arrested for driving under the influence just before the NFL Scouting Combine.

“He’s not a bad kid,” Lande said. “What he is more than anything is sort of a shy kid who follows. He doesn’t know about good crowd-bad crowd. He just sort of, he hangs with his buddies, and when they do stupid things he’s right in the middle of it.”

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/where-s-the-sizzle-in-nfl-draft/article_84d94588-c601-5e86-9ddf-6dd8d2b8a6d5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 8a6d5.html</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm starting to like the idea of trading down with one of our first rounders.

It seems like a great draft to be picking as often as possible in the top 2 rounds.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Khan AND his son flying around to pro days using their vast football knowledge as they scout for their next QB.

Thank God Stan is our owner.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Selassie I said:
Khan AND his son flying around to pro days using their vast football knowledge as they scout for their next QB.

I'm with you, brother.

There are still a few poo-flinging monkeys at RamStalk lamenting how Stan "cheated" Khan out of a shot to own the Rams (and by "cheated", I mean he exercised his right of...well, whatever the legal term for "dibs" is....as it was drawn up in the original agreement that brought the Rams to St. Louis in 1995....the bastard).

Personally, I like the fact that our team has an owner who stays out of the spotlight, out of the headlines, and out of the way of the guys who are making the football decisions.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
HeiseNBerg said:
Selassie I said:

I'm with you, brother.

There are still a few poo-flinging monkeys at RamStalk lamenting how Stan "cheated" Khan out of a shot to own the Rams (and by "cheated", I mean he exercised his right of...well, whatever the legal term for "dibs" is....as it was drawn up in the original agreement that brought the Rams to St. Louis in 1995....the bastard).

Personally, I like the fact that our team has an owner who stays out of the spotlight, out of the headlines, and out of the way of the guys who are making the football decisions.

Funny thing is wheb the rams start hitting the playoffs and winning those poo flingers will be the first to tell you how they called how good he is

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Selassie I said:

Not to sheet on Khan... But our owner is experienced. I take that.

But...

Khan is a football fan. Give him some time and he'll be a good owner.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

duckhunter

Starter
As much as I'm on JT's butt, this was a very nice piece. He put some thought in it and showed he's been watching other team's rosters. My hats off to him.

F. Mulder

Starter
I agree that the overall flavor of the draft lacks significant "wow" factors but also agree that it is a solid and deep draft through pick 100 which is pretty deep.

Currently the Rams have the chance to get 4 of those top 100 players and IF they are successful we will be looking at most of them either starting or getting significant playing time, and at the least providing depth at certain positions.

When we look at last year we talk about Richardson early on, Givens, Jenkins, Brockers, Greg the Leg and his pal Johnny H but the 2 kickers were signed to start from the very start and with the exception of Jenkins the rest rotated. Brockers was hurt early on and then played a lot towards the end but WAS part of a rotation. Richardson subbed in on packages for Jackson and then played less late but he obviously didn't start. Givens was not the starter until Amendola was hurt.

My point is that with possible openings at one OL position (should they get a top Guard or Tackle (and do something with Saffold), a Safety position, a OLB position, and maybe a RB if they go RB in the first (which I doubt and don't want) you may not come out of this draft with instant starters but you can come out of this draft with several guys who can get significant playing time and be productive even if they aren't starting.

I'm actually really excited about this draft. The only things I don't want are:

Trade up in 1st round (rather trade down if anything)
No RB in Rd 1
For ME PERSONALLY-No Fluker at 16
Not high on Safety in the first (especially 16)

I hope we come out of the first 4 picks with some combination of WR, OL, S, OLB (unless there was a really good value at RB but not until after the 1st round)