Where's the pass rush?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Our D-line has definitely been held a lot this season, but I think I was just 'expecting more'? Especially when you see the way Mack has been playing for instance.

Donald was destroying o-lines and QBs last year, he's playing well this year don't get me wrong, just not at 'once-in-a-lifetime-talent' kinda way that I think we were all expecting - especially with Suh and Brock next to him.
All off season we said "you can't double everybody".

Apparently we were wrong.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I miss Robert Quinn!! Hell of a edge rusher.

Quinn has 1 sack in his first three games as a Dolphin.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Q/QuinRo00.htm

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/26/nfl-los-angeles-rams-aaron-donald-stats-sacks-pressures/

Despite having zero sacks, there's no reason to panic about Aaron Donald
By: Cameron DaSilva

usatsi_11307361.jpg

Through three games this season, Aaron Donald has been held without a sack and has only seven total tackles. The Rams as a team have just four total sacks despite fielding arguably the best defensive line in football.

After signing that massive $135 million contract, it’s definitely time to panic with Donald, right? He’s obviously no longer working as hard and isn’t the same player he was before getting that massive payday. Those are the thoughts some fans are having right now and they’re completely off base.

Donald may not have a sack yet, but he’s not far behind 2017’s pace at this point in the season. Through three games (four weeks) last year, Donald had just one sack and seven tackles. He went on to tie a career high with 11 sacks in only 14 games.

R-E-L-A-X

Donald is still pressuring quarterbacks at a very high rate, generating 15 pressures in three games. that’s an average of five per game, which is slightly behind 2017’s pace (6.5 per game) but still ranks among the league’s best interior defenders.

Donald is going to get his sacks, he’s going to constantly pressure quarterbacks and he’ll finish among the league leaders in tackles for loss. There’s no reason to panic about his lack of production through three weeks. He’s drawn plenty of holding penalties and consistently pushes linemen back into the quarterback, like on this play.

View: https://twitter.com/VeteranScout/status/1044647529214697472?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1044647529214697472&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheramswire.usatoday.com%2F2018%2F09%2F26%2Fnfl-los-angeles-rams-aaron-donald-stats-sacks-pressures%2F

Donald hasn’t suddenly become a shell of himself after signing that record-setting extension. He’s still the same player he always was and is working just as hard as he always has. He’s just being held fairly often and hasn’t nabbed that first quarterback takedown. But once the first sack comes, more should follow in droves.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams D is putting pressure on QB's. 1st in fewest points allowed. Best stat? Rams 3-0. Those stats make the "sack" stat imaterial. They're getting the job done.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Maybe Rams don't want to sack the QB. Sacks will earn you a 15yd penalty and the other team a 1st down.

If that's the way Phillip is thinking, pretty damned smart. Contain the QB, rush the pass, but don't risk the penalty by sacking him. If it becomes a trend in the NFL, the rules committee has efectivly eliminated the sack.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone want to guess what the Rams first round pick will be next year?

A DT to replace Suh?

A cornerback since Shields is a free agent, and both starting CBs are FAs the year after?

A TE?

A trade down, with multiple picks to fill holes?

There are many options. It will depend on the best value at #32.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A DT to replace Suh?

A cornerback since Shields is a free agent, and both starting CBs are FAs the year after?

A TE?

A trade down, with multiple picks to fill holes?

There are many options. It will depend on the best value at #32.
Talib is on a two year deal . I'd be shocked if money isn't carved out for Peters .

I'm guessing EDGE, corner, safety, NT are top priority . They could replace Talib though

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams’ Aqib Talib having ankle surgery puts pressure on defensive line
https://www.pe.com/2018/09/26/rams-aqib-talib-having-ankle-surgery-puts-pressure-on-defensive-line/

By Rich Hammond

The simple arithmetic isn’t adding up for the Rams. Skilled players, plus a consistent pass rush, has not equaled the robust number of sacks that had been predicted for this unit. The Rams have totaled three quarterback sacks in three games, plus a “sack” of a receiver on a trick-play attempt. That’s far off the pace from last season, when the Rams finished fourth in the NFL with 48 sacks, even though the addition of tackle Ndamukong Suh figured to give the Rams an unblockable front.

“Any time you lose playmakers and big-time players that are a part of your defense, that’s going to hurt you,” lineman Aaron Donald said after Tuesday’s practice at Cal Lutheran. “But we’ve got guys that are going to step up and fill those shoes.”

Regardless, it’s time for the defensive line to shine. It’s unfair and incorrect to say the front of Suh, Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers has struggled. The Rams are 3-0 and have allowed the fewest points in the NFL, which are the only metrics that matter. Also, even though quarterback pressures aren’t kept as official stats, the Rams have been disruptive.

Still, the lack of sacks has been curious. Suh and Brockers each has one (as does linebacker Samson Ebukam and, technically, backup lineman Ethan Westbrooks, who took down Keenan Allen on Sunday). With four, the Rams have the second-fewest sacks in the NFL, ahead of only Oakland, with three.

“We need to get to the quarterback a lot more and get him down,” Donald said. “We’ve been getting there, but they’ve been getting the ball out. It’s frustrating but it’s going to come. We just have to keep working.”Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.

The Rams had 10 sacks through the first three games last season, even though Donald didn’t play in the season opener and the Rams lost another starter, Dominique Easley, to a training-camp knee injury.What’s the problem? In part, timing. The Rams, to start the season, have faced three quarterbacks with a combined total of 347 NFL regular-season games: Oakland’s Derek Carr, Arizona’s Sam Bradford and the Chargers’ Philip Rivers, and none of them were ignorant to the fierceness of the Rams’ line.

Each of those three savvy quarterbacks seemed to have an accurate internal clock in his head, and didn’t hold the ball too long. Carr had the quickest trigger, but eventually lost his poise and made mistakes. Rivers, the most experienced of the bunch, held the ball the longest and overall, had the most success.

Quarterbacks are getting rid of the ball faster against the Rams, but they’ve completed 66.0 percent of their passes, compared to 61.1 percent through three games last season. Of course, in 2017, two of the first three quarterbacks the Rams faced were Scott Tolzien and Brian Hoyer.Opponent strategy probably isn’t going to change. If the Rams are without Talib and Peters, or if Peters plays but clearly is not at 100 percent, Minnesota’s Kirk Cousins — another experienced quarterback — no doubt will put early and frequent pressure on fill-ins Sam Shields, Troy Hill and Nickell Robey-Coleman.

If the cornerbacks press at the line of scrimmage, Vikings receivers Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs have the skill to go deep. If the Rams give them some space, Cousins likely will attempt quick throws.Shields will take on a big role, even if Peters is able to play, and it will be notable. Shields’ last start came in the 2016 season opener with Green Bay, when he suffered at least the fourth concussion of his career. Shields signed with the Rams as a free agent in March.

Donald could be the key. Through three games, he has recorded zero sacks and seven tackles. Here’s the bad news for opponents: Donald sometimes starts slowly. Last year, after he missed the opener, he had one sack in his first three games, then had 10 sacks in his next 11 games. In 2016, Donald went sack-less in his first three games, then had 1.5 sacks in week 4 and finished the season with eight.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Talib is on a two year deal .

Which expires after 2019. With the importance of CBs to Wade's defense, I expect a fairly high draft pick to be used. If a good CB drops to the Rams, they will bite.

It boils down to BPA at several positions

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I miss Robert Quinn!! Hell of a edge rusher.
Yes Quinn is a great 43 Defensive End. Problem is Wade plays a 34 D. Wonder if the Rams could have Aaron Donald signed here now if Rob Quinn's 24.5 million 2018/2019 slary cap hit on the books remained? :cautious::unsure::palm:

Quinn had big issues on setting the 34 D edge & run containment period playing for Wade. I am sure I would not want to start to question our savy championship caliber DC Wade reference his decision dispersing Rob Quinn.

Wade along with Snead & Mcvay was heavly involved this off season in discovering & finding youthful correct proper fitting skilled 34 D Edge Rushers to fit in Wade's D. In addition great efforts went into securing the 2018 services of both all pro's Aaron Donald & Ndamukong Suh starting in this Rams DL. Rams played the entire 2017 season without a NFL legit Nose Tackle. How can anyone here we forget all those big runs right through the center of our DL last season??? Have yet to see that happen this season;).

Rams signed veteran skilled pass rusher Dom Easley to play as a ER/OLB. Resignhed ER/OLB Matt Longacre. Then using the draft to select FOUR edge rushers/OLB like John Franklin-Myers (4th), Og Okoronkwo (#5), Trevon Young (#6) & Justin Lawler (#7).

Fact is earlyTraing Camp injuries to Matt longacre & Og Okoronkwo certainly have hurt this outside pass rush developmnt, along with present injury of starter Dom Easley. Do we really want to pretend to dismiss these 3 important injuries as major element involvment in the Rams last 3 game results ?

Finally. should we give any heavy thoughts on what the loss of our only 2017 remaining r starting LB'er our of the four has caused to this overall defensive operation. This vetran weakside interior LB'er Mark Barron has been the leading Tackler for the Rams 3 out of his last 4 seasons. Someone want to put me in my place here & tell me where I am wrong or off the subject on the lack of pass rush having departed from the field due to Unhealthy Easley/ Longacre/ Barron/ Okoronkwo ?:bueller:

Last edited:

James Otto

Starter
Our D-line has definitely been held a lot this season, but I think I was just 'expecting more'? Especially when you see the way Mack has been playing for instance.

Donald was destroying o-lines and QBs last year, he's playing well this year don't get me wrong, just not at 'once-in-a-lifetime-talent' kinda way that I think we were all expecting - especially with Suh and Brock next to him.

Based on what???? A lack of sacks? You aren't watching closely enough.

Ram65

Legend
Looks like a combination of factors. They had a good pass rush against a bad Cardinals offensive line. The got a lot of push up the middle. Against the Chargers Rivers got rid of the ball quickly. They did rush him a few times but, they could not get two rushers collapsing at the same time. Rivers sidestepped the one getting pressure. They got some pressure against a good Raiders offensive line. Carr threw the ball out quickly. Got some holding calls.

They haven't had any free rushers nor have they blitzed a lot. Ebu off the edge gets free a little late at time but, does not get a big push. Many see a lot holding and there have been some called. Could be that Donald needs to step up here in game four. He looks like the only real thread as a quick twitch pass rusher. Too bad Easley is out.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A few thoughts:
* They're getting held a lot (more than is being called) - so that's a positive in that it derails opponent's drives
* They're still getting pressure - that is a pass rush - also good
* The team is winning

I don't care if they get any sacks... if they're 3 - 0 and the margin of victory is 22 points per game!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Based on what???? A lack of sacks? You aren't watching closely enough.
Thank you for your response James, it was a little rude, but I'll still answer.

I'm watching plenty close enough. You can't tell me that Donald was paid all that money JUST to collapse a pocket and we didn't bring in Suh just to collapse a pocket. I didn't say they were playing bad BUT sacks are what destroy QBs, otherwise you have a QB like Stafford, who isn't elite, scoring 20+ points on us.

We need these players to sack opposing QBs, that's what breeds fear, unless I don't understand the game and think that sacking the QB is an important part of the game. Our O can't outgun every week.

But please - explain to me - what exactly am I not seeing.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
What I'm seeing is 15 yd penalties for clean sacks, giving teams a 1st down instead of punting. That a huge game swing.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
I feel like if we were sacking the QB more, we would just have more roughing the passer penalties.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting review of Rams Defensive stats.

The top 9 leaders of tackles after 3 games:

ILB'er Cory Littleton.. 26 comb/ 19 total/ 7 assist.
Safety J.Johnson III.. 19 comb/ 14 total/ 5 assist/ 1 fumble.
ILB'er Ramik Wilson. 17 comb/ 10 total/ 7 assist.
ILB'er M.Christian...... 11 comb/ 10 total/ 1 assist.
Safety L.Joyner ......... 10 comb/ 07 total/ 3 assist.
CB Aqib Talib................9 comb/ 06 total/ 3 assist/ 1 fumble.
CB NRC............................9 comb/ 05 total/ 4 assist.
DL Micheal Brockers....9 comb/ 05 total/ 4 assist/ 1 sack.
DL Ndamukong Suh.....8 comb/ 04 total/ 4 assist/ 1 sack.
Three of the top 4 Rams defensive tacklers are inside LB'ers.:wow:

I wonder what positions are not represented here :thinking:.....:shocking:

Last edited:

James Otto

Starter
Thank you for your response James, it was a little rude, but I'll still answer.

I'm watching plenty close enough. You can't tell me that Donald was paid all that money JUST to collapse a pocket and we didn't bring in Suh just to collapse a pocket. I didn't say they were playing bad BUT sacks are what destroy QBs, otherwise you have a QB like Stafford, who isn't elite, scoring 20+ points on us.

We need these players to sack opposing QBs, that's what breeds fear, unless I don't understand the game and think that sacking the QB is an important part of the game. Our O can't outgun every week.

But please - explain to me - what exactly am I not seeing.

12 PPG, 199 YPG pass against, 6.4 YPA, 73.3 passer rating against, numerous holding and false start penalties against ...

Sacks are overrated, dude. Philip Rivers could only put up 23 points on us minus two CB's. Not getting your point.