Where Austin Davis, Shaun Hill fit for Rams/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well, if we're comparing Davis to the other QBs on our roster in terms of Accuracy%...
Sam Bradford(2013) - 74.7% accuracy% on 262 attempts
Shaun Hill(2014) - 74.4% accuracy% on 229 attempts
Austin Davis(2014) - 72.7% accuracy% on 285 attempts

What is accuracy percentage?

How is that compared to completion percentage?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What is accuracy percentage?

How is that compared to completion percentage?

Accuracy% only account for targeted passes and then adds drop% back in. Basically, it removes passes thrown-away, batted down at the LOS, and then adds dropped passes back in as "completions".

It's not nearly a perfect measurement but it's better than completion% because it only counts targeted passes and doesn't punish QBs for their WRs dropping passes.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The point I think being however is that a game starts to fall more and more on a QB the worse the D plays. If the D plays well, Davis is not forced to try to go 90 yards in one minute and if that is the case, he likely doesn't throw that pick six. It's not having it both ways, it is taking into account what a QB - especially a young and inexperienced one is being asked to do.
Zackly , I'm not certain Fisher should have put the whole season on Davis either IMO he wasn't served by that added pressure but once he did he needed to stick by it and give him a chance to work through , a problem created by the 3yr. impatience paradigm and free agency all across the league . If we are so apprehensive about Sams health that we need to overspend and or give up draft choices to have a starting quality QB as our 2 you may as well cut ties with Sam and just go that way . This team has needs beyond the Qb position and Davis is IMO serviceable if our D doesn't leave him high and dry,if we go the number of games without a sack next year we did this year Sam at the top of his game will have a tough time carrying us

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Accuracy% only account for targeted passes and then adds drop% back in. Basically, it removes passes thrown-away, batted down at the LOS, and then adds dropped passes back in as "completions".

It's not nearly a perfect measurement but it's better than completion% because it only counts targeted passes and doesn't punish QBs for their WRs dropping passes.

Thanks for the breakdown, but I would argue that it isn't a better measurement and that it's maybe just another one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for the breakdown, but I would argue that it isn't a better measurement and that it's maybe just another one.

I think it's an improvement on completion% because you're actually trying to assess the QB's ability to get the ball there rather than simply considering whether it was caught or not.

For example, our receivers were dropping passes at a much higher percentage last year than they were this year. And they dropped a higher percentage of passes from Shaun Hill than they did Austin Davis.

That definitely would skew completion% despite the QB's actually ability to complete the pass not being different. If we are to assume all drops are equal.(which they aren't...but statistical measures will always be limited in what they can tell you)

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think if Clemens can have a career so can Davis. His problem was flushing too early and bad decisions. Both not exactly uncommon in inexperienced QBs, and his practice and camp reps weren't exactly based on improving his game. As has been pointed out, draft picks with more physical talent got practice reps. Some use this as an indication of him not being able to make it, I see it as what UDFAs go thru. If he learns from his mistakes and works his ass of this offseason his knowledge of the offense makes him worthy of being on the roster. I think he can be a useful #2 in the NFL. Provided he learns from his mistakes.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they're going with Bradford again, I'd be more than willing to let both Hill and Davis go. Let's draft a rookie and sign some FA quarterback, so it would really be a competition. I don't see how it makes much sense keeping one of them if the goal was to create a starting quarterback competition. If you keep one of them, you're already admitting that you have your backup, either you're drafting a quarterback, who won't have a real chance at the job, or you're not drafting anyone, and you're bringing in a veteran. Would that guy really have a shot to win the job? I liked a fee things that I saw from Davis, but I thought this was supposed to be a starting quarterback competition.
Good point!

Fisher said there would be competition at the QB position and that it might not come from anyone currently on the roster.

That says to me that neither Hill nor Davis are that "competition". I don't think they were ever really looked at as competition for Bradford. They were back-ups.

Of course, Fisher also said there would be no coaching changes after the 2013 season and said Davis had the QB job for the remainder of the season... so, we have that to chew on. ;)

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Davis got no support from the oline or defense. Around 26yrs? Had a few good drives, couple great drives, made crushing mistakes.
Hill got worse support from the OL, but got in my opinion got the best defensive support in the league for most of his games. Old as dirt, still made crushing mistakes. So...

Bradford, someone else hopefully named Glennon, Davis. Hill I really don't want to see again. Resigning him is a waste to me.

how many of us have said it doesn't matter who qbs if we don't fix the ol. well hill played behind that ol so if we fix the ol he maybe ok. so here is my plan we cut wells, joseph and long. with that cap savings we sign best available fa c. then in the draft 1st rd best ot that we move to og for a year or two. 2nd round we take petty or grayson if available. 3rd round best available ol,lb or wr. the rest of the draft we take best available at any position. then we start the year with hill as starter giving badford more time to heal. petty or grayson are 2 or 3 year project. if hill behind an improved ol can get us to the bye week at 500 then we bring in Bradford for a play off run. if bardford can last the rest of the season we hopefully make the playoffs. if we make the playoffs I think we would be sb contenders. that's a lot of ifs and maybes but it is possible. go rams

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Oh I think it is better and IMO they need to count interceptions excluding tips off recs. and drops