What we were up against

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Hey champ since this is like a burr up your butt, I will say that there might be some credence to what you're saying.

But then again, resting some injured players and not risking injury to other players and having them perfectly healthy for that game also might have some credence.

We'll never really KNOW for sure. :D

nighttrain

Legend
Every team is different...at a different place...We are a young team...new offensive system, with a young QB and new weapons. Most will look rusty...out of sync....Every single one....the more experienced teams will shake it rather quickly.
Rams were the beneficiary of an extraordinary amount of experience this season and post season
train

nighttrain

Legend
I guess so

If guys didn't get rusty from no work...we should take every week off and just play the games.
not what i meant or said, experience is a good teacher, but only if the talent is there. Unimaginable that with no practice a team makes progress during the season, that's just silly. Sitting our starters was a calculated risk imo, but think, what if Whit or Ad had been injured against the 49ers in what was a MEANINGLESS game
train

Stump23

Rookie
I guess so

If guys didn't get rusty from no work...we should take every week off and just play the games.
Well, what if we got a first round bye. Kind of the same thing right? We could show up flat from the week off. IMO there is no true formula that can eliminate the effects of a one week layoff. This is the dilemma teams face during this part of the year. Chance that the momentum that has been built will be altered in some way because of the week off. From what has been written, it was thought that the regulars got reps during 49er week, with the majority going to the bench players to get them prepped for the game.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I once came on here...and said "Pat Haden could play a lil bit"....s.
Pat Haden could never play QB at all...he was even a bad, bad thrower, and not tough and always scared...so, not from my eyes of viewing., the last 6 years, almost every play of 75% of his games from 1977 to 1981.
But, he had a nice 'seal' the victory against the Oilers in 1978.

Dude could hit TEs on crossers, backs on flair routes, and "go" routes...that was it. Very innacurate, but could throw it 65+ yards....love to hear you support him. Name the game, I will watch it, and laugh with you. Jokers are wild. Dig you, LA

Banks, at least, had skills, and had a 42 on the wonderlic I think....but had no head for football as the 2000 ravens discovered

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
but think, what if Whit or Ad had been injured against the 49ers in what was a MEANINGLESS game
train
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...always think of that....lol

Yeah...they coulda got injured...Step up....and I didn't say "every" player need to stay sharp....some coulda...like an AD....Tree..who was already injured....maybe Woods...but I woulda let the starters at least get a couple series to stay focused...Whit too...then rotated them out....giving the 9ers a game...is wrong.
Well, what if we got a first round bye. Kind of the same thing right? We could show up flat from the week off. IMO there is no true formula that can eliminate the effects of a one week layoff. This is the dilemma teams face during this part of the year. Chance that the momentum that has been built will be altered in some way because of the week off. From what has been written, it was thought that the regulars got reps during 49er week, with the majority going to the bench players to get them prepped for the game.
We would have EARNED a bye week...sign of a polished team...not sitting down a team that gave away 3 wins in losses to the Hawks, Skins...and didn't play well vs the Vikings and Eagles..down the stretch I must add.
Pat Haden could never play QB at all...he was even a bad, bad thrower, and not tough and always scared...so, not from my eyes of viewing., the last 6 years, almost every play of 75% of his games from 1977 to 1981.
But, he had a nice 'seal' the victory against the Oilers in 1978.

Dude could hit TEs on crossers, backs on flair routes, and "go" routes...that was it. Very innacurate, but could throw it 65+ yards....love to hear you support him. Name the game, I will watch it, and laugh with you. Jokers are wild. Dig you, LA

Banks, at least, had skills, and had a 42 on the wonderlic I think....but had no head for football as the 2000 ravens discovered
Haden was a very nice deep ball thrower....he had an overall record of 39-17 or something....his worst season as a starter he threw 13 td's and 19 picks....but the team went 12-4...He was 5-1-1 as a rookie, then 8-2....when he took over as a starter....his first year as a full time starter....51% passing....looks terrible from the outside, but it was a different time...and he had different wrs.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/1978.htm

Check out his NFC playoff games...
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197812310ram.htm

not bad

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197901070ram.htm

terrible...now that Vince Ferragamo.....lol

We ruined Tony Banks....but I never said he was good...decent maybe..never will know, soon as he got a check, he mailed effort in....

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...always think of that....lol

Yeah...they coulda got injured...Step up....and I didn't say "every" player need to stay sharp....some coulda...like an AD....Tree..who was already injured....maybe Woods...but I woulda let the starters at least get a couple series to stay focused...Whit too...then rotated them out....giving the 9ers a game...is wrong.

We would have EARNED a bye week...sign of a polished team...not sitting down a team that gave away 3 wins in losses to the Hawks, Skins...and didn't play well vs the Vikings and Eagles..down the stretch I must add.
Haden was a very nice deep ball thrower....he had an overall record of 39-17 or something....his worst season as a starter he threw 13 td's and 19 picks....but the team went 12-4...He was 5-1-1 as a rookie, then 8-2....when he took over as a starter....his first year as a full time starter....51% passing....looks terrible from the outside, but it was a different time...and he had different wrs.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/ram/1978.htm

Check out his NFC playoff games...
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197812310ram.htm

not bad

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197901070ram.htm

terrible...now that Vince Ferragamo.....lol

We ruined Tony Banks....but I never said he was good...decent maybe..never will know, soon as he got a check, he mailed effort in....
Thanks for the Haden analysis....and, you have to watch every throw in every circumstance. Most helpless QB we ever had....Rams had a top 3-5 D every year, of course he won. Wake up bro...you lost again. LOL

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well, what if we got a first round bye. Kind of the same thing right?
We would have earned it....and would have demonstrated a certain type of experience/grit....we wouldn't have lost games that we should have one throughout the season.....and they would have DESERVED an off week...it's a different psychology right there....rest when earned...who woulda thunk it?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
they were playing to WIN down the stretch...we took a week off and let Jimmy G. blow us out...

not experience...chemistry....biggest mistake of the season for McVay...I bet he learned a valuable lesson.

I don't think one serious team rested starters....not one....

Yet, the guy that cost us the game, played in week 17, got hurt, missed practices, then fumbled two returns.

BTW, the Eagles rested a number of players, they did play Foles for 3 or 4 series because he is rusty, yet still sat him for 3 quarters despite having a bye.

BTW, I assume the teams coming off byes are screwed this week since they will be rusty...Right?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Maybe if Cooper would have sat, he does not get hurt, does not miss practices, and maybe he doesn't fumble...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Yet, the guy that cost us the game, played in week 17, got hurt, missed practices, then fumbled two returns.
Punt returning by it's nature is dangerous....when did Pharoh get hurt....
But missing practice is the key....

And I disagree about Pharoh "costing" us the game. Dude fumbled twice...pick him up.

I believe I have expressed doubt about Cooper being some "upgrade" from Tavon....shaky hands...not a "natural" pass catcher of the ball.

BTW, the Eagles rested a number of players, they did play Foles for 3 or 4 series because he is rusty, yet still sat him for 3 quarters despite having a bye.
So practice eliminates or prevents rust? And we appeared rusty....I think we're getting somewhere....

BTW, I assume the teams coming off byes are screwed this week since they will be rusty...Right?
Most will start slowly....can they overcome their slow starts? Games start in 24 hours...look for the "rust" on teams coming off byes....I'd like to think the teams that have been together the longest, will show the least amount of rust.l

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thanks for the Haden analysis....and, you have to watch every throw in every circumstance. Most helpless QB we ever had....Rams had a top 3-5 D every year, of course he won. Wake up bro...you lost again. LOL
Of course he won? He won a playoff game....worst QB in Rams history? Doubt it...dude threw a great deep ball...you can't name a wr he threw it to.....He played in the 70's when football was different. His career record speaks for itself. Top 3-5 defense?....I'd have to look that up...I know we were strong.

Lost again?!? I hope you're not talking about the various debate topics Steve? Most of my "predictions" have proven quite accurate. Perhaps you'd like to enlighten me? Lets start at the beginning....when I first became at odds with several ROD posters....and a prediction....More Pro Ready I believe it was.....or...maybe it was, who would be the better player??? Yep...I'd probably like to recap the various debates on draft prospects too....or...OR
Brian Quick v Cooper Kupp...who's the better player???? LOLOL Which one Steve?

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
1977 Harold Jackson vs
Of course he won? He won a playoff game....worst QB in Rams history? Doubt it...dude threw a great deep ball...you can't name a wr he threw it to.....He played in the 70's when football was different. His career record speaks for itself. Top 3-5 defense?....I'd have to look that up...I know we were strong.

Lost again?!? I hope you're not talking about the various debate topics Steve? Most of my "predictions" have proven quite accurate. Perhaps you'd like to enlighten me? LOLOL Which one Steve?

1)Just raisin' some ire, bro, lighten up; this is fun for me. You are way insecure for all this knowledge you have....stabilize it.
2)Harold Jackson Caught a sweet 50 yarder against the Raiders from Haden, or actually, it was Ron Jessie in 1977....actually won the game...yes, he did that. Dude don't defend Haden, stick with Tony Banks and I will listen.
Haden played like a 12 year old girl, or boy, if you....always did. Smart with a gun=15% of being a QB....
3) Yes great run game, top 3-4 D every year, except 1979 when Thomas and Perry and Brooks were hurt.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hey champ since this is like a burr up your butt, I will say that there might be some credence to what you're saying.

But then again, resting some injured players and not risking injury to other players and having them perfectly healthy for that game also might have some credence.

We'll never really KNOW for sure.
hmmmmm

If in a similar position....watch what McVay does....it'll prove my point....
Dude don't defend Haden, stick with Tony Banks and I will listen.
Haden threw a great deep ball....I saw it at SC...think I saw him play twice in college live....and I saw it in the pros....always hitting Jessie...Jackson (old harold then)...and my fav wr back then Preston Dennard...kinda slow..but surehanded....I hate wr's like that now...LOL
Tony had more talent....still don't know what was wrong with him and that fumbling....think he was high or something out there...but Haden

can you say, WINNER?!? dude won a playoff game...and a rosebowl....at 5'10....

Stump23

Rookie
hmmmmm

If in a similar position....watch what McVay does....it'll prove my point....
Haden threw a great deep ball....I saw it at SC...think I saw him play twice in college live....and I saw it in the pros....always hitting Jessie...Jackson (old harold then)...and my fav wr back then Preston Dennard...kinda slow..but surehanded....I hate wr's like that now...LOL
Tony had more talent....still don't know what was wrong with him and that fumbling....think he was high or something out there...but Haden

can you say, WINNER?!? dude won a playoff game...and a rosebowl....at 5'10....
Billy Waddy!!!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Punt returning by it's nature is dangerous....when did Pharoh get hurt....
But missing practice is the key....

And I disagree about Pharoh "costing" us the game. Dude fumbled twice...pick him up.

I believe I have expressed doubt about Cooper being some "upgrade" from Tavon....shaky hands...not a "natural" pass catcher of the ball.

So practice eliminates or prevents rust? And we appeared rusty....I think we're getting somewhere....

Most will start slowly....can they overcome their slow starts? Games start in 24 hours...look for the "rust" on teams coming off byes....I'd like to think the teams that have been together the longest, will show the least amount of rust.l

Well not trying to blame it all on Cooper, but stats will shiw being -2 in turnovers equals about a 95% chance of losing.

And the type of turnovers were killers. Not allowing the offense one play on a new series, pushing the defense right back onto the field with no break, and givibg them the ball in scoring position each time.

Very costly turnovers that had major impacts on numerous levels. Most notably contributing greatly in being doubled up on in time of possession.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As it turned out, the Rams went up against the Rams.

They were the better team but made too many mistakes.

They'll learn from this and improve.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well not trying to blame it all on Cooper, but stats will shiw being -2 in turnovers equals about a 95% chance of losing.

And the type of turnovers were killers. Not allowing the offense one play on a new series, pushing the defense right back onto the field with no break, and givibg them the ball in scoring position each time.

Very costly turnovers that had major impacts on numerous levels. Most notably contributing greatly in being doubled up on in time of possession.
Hurt the team in the first half no doubt....

But the lack of the offense to convert on 3rd downs killed us....TOP is an offensive stat....if your offense, when given a chance, doesn't possesses the ball, convert on 3rd downs...TOP will always be skewed towards the opponent and their offense.

Pharoh's brain freezes hurt....failure to execute by the offense, killed us.