What to make of Rams' early offensive struggles/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
What to make of Rams' early offensive struggles
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/20690/what-to-make-of-rams-early-offensive-struggles

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- To the surprise of no one, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher says he isn't concerned with his offense's early preseason struggles.

"No, not concerned at all," Fisher said. "You would like to see them put 40 up on the board, but we will get it sorted out. You see us doing different things on the practice field than we do in the games."

Taking it a step further, Fisher pointed out that the preseason questions about a first-team offense which has managed just three points, 113 yards and five first downs on six possessions, is par for the course.

“If you go back a year from now, or two years from now, or three years from now, you guys all asked me the same questions, 'What’s up with your offense?'" Fisher said. "We keep it basic. Our philosophy is to just play and work on fundamentals during the preseason."

What's unsaid here is that, though Fisher doesn't sound concerned about the offense and is used to the questions, it's not like his offense has a track record of ironing out the kinks in the preseason only to catch fire when the real games start. The outside concerns about his offense have often carried over to the regular season, particularly in the early part of the schedule.

In three seasons under Fisher, the Rams rank 28th in the NFL in yards per game, 24th in yards per play and 26th in offensive points scored per game. So though the Rams are undoubtedly keeping things basic in terms of the game plan, they also haven't exactly earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the offense.

That's especially true this season with a new coordinator in Frank Cignetti Jr., new quarterback in Nick Foles, three new starters on the offensive line and, eventually, a new starting running back. In preseason contests against Oakland and Tennessee -- teams that drafted in the top four this year -- the first-team offense has struggled mightily.

After a dynamic start in which Foles hit tight end Lance Kendricks for a gain of 26 yards and then receiver Tavon Austin for 35 yards on the first two plays against the Raiders, it's been tough sledding for the starting unit. On the 25 ensuing plays, that top offense has gained just 52 yards and, including the interception returned for a touchdown Foles threw Sunday night, it's allowed more points than it has scored.

"I’ll never panic as a quarterback just because you’ve got to keep working," Foles said. "If you panic, then you’ve given up. I would never give up as long as I play the game. We have great guys in this locker room, and I keep saying that we’ll continue to put more things into the offense. We’re really just trying to work on our stuff right now."

There's little doubt that the Rams have had a basic approach to the preseason and aren't exactly pulling out all the play-calling stops. Going back to what Fisher said, if there is to be a concern, it should be with those fundamentals. When keeping it simple, things like blocking, running the correct routes and making good decisions with the ball should all qualify as the basics.

And the Rams aren't doing those particularly well, either. With the starters on the field, the Rams have 40 yards on 14 carries, good for just 2.9 yards per attempt. Foles is six-of-12 for 87 yards for a passer rating of 39.2 with the interception and no touchdowns.

"Our offense is coming," Fisher said. "It’s coming. We saw a lot of good things out of our offense against the Cowboys (in practice last week)."

Yes, it's only the preseason and there's still time for the Rams to get those things straightened out. But it's also fair to wonder whether an offense with so many moving parts will be able to do it in time to keep the Rams from digging themselves into yet another early season hole.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In three seasons under Fisher, the Rams rank 28th in the NFL in yards per game, 24th in yards per play and 26th in offensive points scored per game.
A guy was in here stating that as long as we gave up so many yards, he couldn't care less, since as long as they didn't score we'd be okay....Well, flip it around and you can TELL that our offense STRUGGLES because it finds gaining yards painfully difficult. In fact, we've been lethargic in terms of moving the damn ball for 3 years....Which effects points...and WINS....Not sure why Fisher isn't concerned about the 1st team offense...but, as history shows, he should be.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
There's little doubt that the Rams have had a basic approach to the preseason and aren't exactly pulling out all the play-calling stops. Going back to what Fisher said, if there is to be a concern, it should be with those fundamentals. When keeping it simple, things like blocking, running the correct routes and making good decisions with the ball should all qualify as the basics.

And the Rams aren't doing those particularly well, either.

If we struggle to master "the basics" during the preseason, I can't believe it's all going to fall into place starting Week 1 vs. Seattle. Plus when you expand the playbook it makes it all the more confusing to the players, especially when their still learning a new system. I fear it will take much longer for the offense to get into a consistent rhythm, and I've said it before with a bunch of young players, it's harder to overcome adversity against more seasoned teams. If the offense needs to approach the regular season with a more simplified playbook until they get it mastered, then so be it. This is the reason why it is key for the defense to carry this team early on. If the defense plays, like everyone expects them to, and we get some very special teams play, i.e. scores on punt returns and kickoffs, then it will give the offense a little bit more time to get it all figured out.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Not sure why Fisher isn't concerned about the 1st team offense...but, as history shows, he should be.
if this Offense struggles to move the ball and score points during the first quarter of this season, I'm throwing a brick thru the TV and actively advocating for Fisher's removal.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
if this Offense struggles to move the ball and score points during the first quarter of this season, I'm throwing a brick thru the TV and actively advocating for Fisher's removal.

What kind of TV are you going to be firing the brick through ?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
settledown.gif

FRO

Legend
I think it's a reasonable debate on weather or not our not get hurt approach is a wise one on getting the team ready week one. I think with all the new pieces on offense getting these guys reps and running more than just super basic offensive plays. I hope they get a whole half against the Colts.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I trust you coach Fisher, but if the Rams get off to another slow start:
109.gif

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Fisher's poise and calm demeanor is admirable. Got to give the guy credit for taking everything in stride and handling it like a seasoned vet who's "been there, done that."

Kind of like how Phil Jackson used to just sit calmly on the bench if the team got down by double digits in the 4th. He KNEW the team would "figure it out" and right the ship because he'd seen it done before and had the 11-13 championship rings to back it up.

The only thing is... Fisher hasn't won shit. And the Rams haven't done a damn thing in recent years either. I could see a guy like Belicheat giving these kind of answers and being so nonchalant about things. But this is a new QB under a NEW OC ( with a questionable OL) and there is A LOT of concern. You ain't fooling me again, Fish. The ineptitude in the red zone the last few years is hard to forget about.

RamzFanz

Damnit

Please video for youtube. Thanks!

RamzFanz

Damnit
I trust you coach Fisher, but if the Rams get off to another slow start:
109.gif

I expect they will get off to a slow start, and kill it when things get in line. If people are betting a fast start, other than STOMPING Seattle, I think you're setting yourself up for failure. The defense? Sure. The offense? I'm hoping for good enough to make a run.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
>>Fisher's poise and calm demeanor is admirable. Got to give the guy credit for taking everything in stride and handling it like a seasoned vet who's "been there, done that."<<

Yeah, I also noticed how comfortable he was last season at 6-10. o_O

iced

"at least the cable box didn't intercept it"

WestCoastRam

Legend
Look, I'm starting to come back down to earth from offseason dreaming. There was always talk about this offense being a ball-control, smashmouth-running, play-action team. I think that's what we are and I think it's reasonable to expect the same kind of offensive output that we had last year. Which pretty much stinks because it wasn't great. Maybe we can add a few points per game to our average but I think that's the ceiling for this team this year. Kinda sad when I had dreams that Cig could max out the talent and Foles would be an upgrade to Hill (he probably is but he never was gonna be an upgrade to a healthy Bradford).

Ugh. Just ugh. Our only hope is that the defense ascends even further and we win a lot of ugly games 17-10, 19-17.