What QB do you want in FA?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Hill was terrible in my eyes. As many times as he missed wide open receivers. Cousins was put in a bad situation. I think if he came here he could be decent in our offense and we probably could get him for a 4th or 5th rounder
Yeah, maybe.
All of the guys listed, maybe with the exception of Clausen, were put into bad situations.
A guy like Schaub looked like he did not take the time to prepare when he got into games last year. Even with that he will demand more than I would want to pay for a backup QB given his history. Cousins was not good in most of the games I saw....he did have a few moments. I think if Cousins is brought in it is to be a starting QB potentially. If the team is committed to Bradford long term, or, a rookie draft pick longterm then Hill is still my guy. If the Rams want to scrap the QB position then Cousins is as good an option as any out there I guess.
If the Rams are looking for backup options, to improve the depth and competition at the position no matter what happens with Bradford, then arm strength is down the list for me a bit. A guy like Lindley in Arizona found a roster spot and playing time based on arm strength. Make no mistake, that guy has arm talent. So much more to consider with a backup, espcially if a rookie is brought in to develop, than arm strength.
The Rams entire O was ineffective and disappeared for stretches last year, no matter who was at QB.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'd take schaub in a heartbeat out of that mix. Other than that? Mc Coy maybe.
If the Rams are looking for a starting QB to either replace Bradford going forward or be a guy to step in if Bradford can't go (this would be under the assumption by management that the QB spot is what would keep the Rams away from a playoff run), then Schaub is the only real choice. If the backup spot is viewed as a placeholder until a longterm rookie is found and not a potential starter....to be a teacher to a young guy more than a viable starter, then Hill is fine with me.
He (Schaub) has a 140 starts or something like that, so, the team would not have to deal with the learning curve the other guys would have. His numbers are impressive up until his last year in Houston. He is 33, not young, but not ancient in QB terms. He had a very nice running game to lean on in Houston and the same would be needed with the Rams I am sure.
The rest of the list a debate about upside, Schaub has been a Pro-Bowl QB. Those guys don't forget how to play. To me, the first question is, is he healthy?
The second question is salary. He made $10M last year to ride the pine and look disinterested when he did get in. How low will his salary demands go?
I don't want to pay that sort of salary for a guy trying to reestablish himself. But, he certainly has been a better QB than any other name on that list.
Interesting guy to consider.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
None. At best, we'd get about what Shaun Hill offered us last year. And we might not even get that.

Trade for one or draft one. I don't want to pay any of those bums. Except maybe Hill in a 3rd QB role.

I guess Ryan Mallett is an option too if he's cheap.
This is how I see things.

None of the names in free agency do much for me and I sincerely doubt they can help the Rams commensurate with the money they would demand.

Have to draft one... and those options aren't good either.

I'm getting depressed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sanchez if I had to sign one of them, but still I would not pay him too much. It would be a two year deal where we fix the OL, adjust Bradfords deal to as cap friendly as possible, and draft Petty.

Sanchez is as bad as the rest but he knows this offense and may consider the Rams now that Schotty is gone.

What I think the Rams will do, however, is sign Gabbert along with drafting QB and redoing Sam's deal.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sanchez if I had to sign one of them, but still I would not pay him too much. It would be a two year deal where we fix the OL, adjust Bradfords deal to as cap friendly as possible, and draft Petty.

Sanchez is as bad as the rest but he knows this offense and may consider the Rams now that Schotty is gone.

What I think the Rams will do, however, is sign Gabbert along with drafting QB and redoing Sam's deal.

Why would you pay Gabbert when the last thing you ever want is the guy seeing the field?

Athos

Legend
None really. If Fisher is serious about legit QB competition for Bradford, our QB is coming through either the trade or the draft pick.

All these FA QBs suck balls and would offer less than Hill most likely.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Again...Austin Davis, and.....wait for it....
josh-freeman-jackson.jpg

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Good God both of these two are as durable as Bradford so among the three of them I hope the Rams get 16 games. Having Bradford and Locker will bring us back to yesteryear when the Rams had Chris Miller and Crystal Chandelier (Chris Chandler) as signal callers.

That's what we're looking at. Hoyer and Sanchez will get multiple years at lower level starter money. Not sure the Rams have the cap room to invest 5 mil. In a backup who still is bad.

Looking at the FA list it's all bad QB's. None have any real upside. They all have flaws and health is one of them. All you can hope for is they don't have to play much.

McCoy played well in stretches and Locker had a few good quarters....That's more than almost all the rest of the FA's can say.
If nothing else they are mobile so they have a chance to not die on the field.

If any QB could come in and really play and help a team to the playoffs he would never get to free agency.

Bad year to need a top back up.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If any QB could come in and really play and help a team to the playoffs he would never get to free agency.

If the Rams end up with Locker or McCoy they won't have them long, but maybe losing their back-up QB will keep Bradford healthy. That's about it. Otherwise I would go trade if it came down to those two.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's what we're looking at. Hoyer and Sanchez will get multiple years at lower level starter money. Not sure the Rams have the cap room to invest 5 mil. In a backup who still is bad.

Looking at the FA list it's all bad QB's. None have any real upside. They all have flaws and health is one of them. All you can hope for is they don't have to play much.

McCoy played well in stretches and Locker had a few good quarters....That's more than almost all the rest of the FA's can say.
If nothing else they are mobile so they have a chance to not die on the field.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Great summary of the pile of steaming shit the Rams are staring at for QB options this year.

IF they decide to roll the dice on any of the names out there, I hope to God they don't overpay!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Great summary of the pile of steaming crap the Rams are staring at for QB options this year.

IF they decide to roll the dice on any of the names out there, I hope to God they don't overpay!

Like it or not they have to roll the dice. And it's like that every year. 32 teams maybe 2 dozen good QB's.

Maybe it's time for Fisher to man up and do what he always says and develop that power running game. De-stress the passing game and if the backup, even though he's limited can scramble a little to pick up some 1st downs this team could go far.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I think Matt Moore would be solid with a good run game. He'd be cheap and he isn't that old. He also has more of an arm than Davis or Hill. I think he'd be a great back up if Bradford is brought back.

Athos

Legend
Like it or not they have to roll the dice. And it's like that every year. 32 teams maybe 2 dozen good QB's.

Maybe it's time for Fisher to man up and do what he always says and develop that power running game. De-stress the passing game and if the backup, even though he's limited can scramble a little to pick up some 1st downs this team could go far.

That dedication has to lead to a top 5 rushing attack or we're going nowhere.....again.

You still have to be able to threaten teams downfield. A rag arm QB like Hill/Davis ain't gonna cut it.