What Jaguars Fans Are Saying Before And After The Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Jags fans remind me of Rams fans. Both teams are doing good so far but past history makes it hard to go all in. We're cautiously optimistic. Years of beat downs have jaded us. Is this finally the breakout year for both teams? Who knows?
Well, not that it means much, the Rams Have only played the Jag's 4 times in there History, But the Rams are 3-1 against them!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=23594

Rams Comin to Town

I think we win this one. I said that the Jets loss would spark a winning streak until the Bye, and that's what I'm sticking to.

We'd be 4-1 if not for a freak running play, or a missed FG, or a stupid holding call away from the TD, or a drop inside FG range....

The list goes on and on. The Jets are proving they're no pushover, and we should've beaten them 4 or 5 different ways after a taxing trip back from London.

We're a good team. We got this.
--------
No blitzes please. Gotta stop Gurley and be disciplined in pass coverage. Now that I think about it, with such a potent offense it will be a chess match on defense. We will need to guess correctly on defense a lot
--------
The Rams will win. Gurley might run for 200 plus against us.

23 - 20 Rams
-------
I think the squealers could have kept it much closer had they stuck to the run a bit more.

I doubt the Rams make the same mistake.
------
Jags win BIG. 42-10
-------
Jaguars starting strong-side linebacker Myles Jack has a history with Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff.

The two faced off during Jack's freshman and sophomore years in college. The defender was impressed by the young quarterback at the time.

"[Goff is] the real deal," Jack said. "[He's] a really talented guy."

Jack's UCLA Bruins blew out Goff's California Bears, 37-10, in their first meeting. In the second matchup, the Bruins won again, but the game was much closer at 36-34.

In both games, Goff made plays with little talent around him. Jack saw how Goff put Cal on his back in those contests.

"The talent around him at Cal was terrible, but [he] literally carried the team by himself," Jack said. "I'm glad he's really shown what he can do this year because he's very capable of [playing well]."

The two will meet for the first time in three years on Sunday. Goff has significantly more weapons these days.

The quarterback has wide receivers Robert Woods and Sammy Watkins and running back Todd Gurley to lean on in Los Angeles.

Jack will look to stop Goff from carrying the Rams to victory. He is hoping history repeats itself with his third-straight win over the quarterback.
---------
Rams finna get smoked

38-13
-------
I think Rams will pull this one out. I feel the Jags are not there yet, and can't pull off consecutive wins, but they may in the 2nd half of the season. Unless Bortles has a terrific game again, this will be a slugfest and a heartbreaker for us.

But look on the bright side, I don't think we have been under .500 this year yet. Baby steps
--------
I hate to say it but I see this game playing out similarly to the tacks game. Our D will keep it close into the 3rd quarter but wear down when the offense doesn't get anything going consistently. The Rams will sell out to stop Fournette and Ivory. They hit a couple of big plays late and the final score is something like 27-13.
sad.png

-------
Reading up on the Rams, and reading their message boards, they're pretty much like us. A young team on the rise, with a history of losing, and the fans are cautiously optimistic.

I think if we stop Todd Gurley, we win. Also, if the Rams sell out to stop Fournette, we have to be willing to throw the ball and back them off.
--------
Last prediction for the game:

Jaguars - 27
Rams - 17

I see Jalen Ramsey getting a pick six at some point in the 2nd quarter. I think Goff will challenge him and he's going to pay for it. I think the run defense continues to show it can handle the ground game like it did against Bell last Sunday by holding Gurley to less than 90 yards on the ground for the day. Ngakoue will force a fumble in the second half which leads to a quick TD pass from Bortles to Koyack on a fake run which all but seals the game.

Bortles will have ZERO turnovers and toss two TD's in this one inside the red zone. Fournette will crack 100 total yards between the ground and air and score another TD. Myers is perfect on the day and contributes six points in FG attempts.

The defense they have isn't really all that great. They're blitz happy and rarely hit home. They're probably one of the worst if not the worst defense in the NFL right now when it comes to blitz/success percentage wise.
-------
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ms-offense

I hope this continues.

Watkins was one of the few guys to actually beat Ramsey deep.

If we make the Rams earn their yardage, as opposed to surrendering big chunks of yards, we increase the chance of turnovers and keep the game lower scoring.
--------
How does being blitz happy make them a bad defense?

Even without Andrew Luck, the Colts could have scored more than nine points against a bad defense. Aaron Donald did not play in that game.

The Seahawks scored only 16 points against the Rams.
-------
Seahawks did a good job of containing Gurley so I imagine the Jags will try to take a similar approach. Colvin vs Kupp will be a key matchup as will Telvin vs Gurley on 3rd down. The Rams Oline is improved so that will be a good test for our pass rushers.

Rams have Donald who is an absolute monster so they gotta do their best against him.

As with every Jags game this season, I have no clue what will happen because this team is up and down but winning in Pitt the way they did could spark something.
--------
To a point, but I think the last couple of games have shown that they can almost go nearly goal line defense. Of course Bortles could have one of his "one out of every five" performances where he not only looks competent, he looks like an actual franchise QB.

If that happens, we'll likely win regardless of what they scheme but I just don't see that happening in this game. Hope I'm wrong though.
--------
Rams fans are not saying much about our game. The only offensive player they are most concerned about is Leonard Fournette.
--------
Blake Bortles obviously does not need to have a franchise QB performance Sunday. He won a game after attempting only 14 passes. There is a reason Rams fans are only concerned about Leonard Fournette and the defense.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If the Rams would stop carelessly turnover the football they'd probably be 5-0 and cruising into Jacksonville.
Aside from that...i say they're easily one of the top 5 most complete teams in the NFL. Offense, defense, special teams.

Stop making things difficult and hang onto the ball. Getting Tavon off PR duty will help but opponents scout too, and the Rams have to be gaining a rep as a team who will put the ball on the ground. Gotta clean it up team-wide. IMO there only a handful of teams who can hang with us for 4 quarters if we clean up the ball security issues and Jacksonville ain't one of em.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams are 4th highest in giveaways right now with 10. Only the Browns Bears and Bengals are higher.
Having a potent offense DOESN'T mean that it comes with a higher chance of ball security issues either.
Not buying it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/12/jacksonville-jaguars-blake-bortles-leonard-fournette-chris-ivory

Jaguars Hiding Blake Bortles's Flaws with the Success of The Run Game
By Jonathan Jones

Back in June during offseason workouts, Jaguars coach Doug Marrone joked with reporters that if he had his druthers, he’d go back to “the old way” of playing football and just run the ball on every down.

Of course that’s not possible in the 2017 edition of the NFL, which is increasingly becoming a passers’ game, but it seems that Jacksonville is trying to throw it back as much as it can.

In Sunday’s 30–9 win against the Steelers, Blake Bortles completed eight passes on 14 attempts for 95 yards, zero touchdowns and one interception. That’s the kind of stat line that makes you think the game was played in inclement weather or the quarterback was benched with the team was trailing by three or four scores—definitely not a game in which the quarterback’s team is taking down the team that reached the most recent AFC title game.

But the Jaguars’ rushing stats will explain it: Rookie Leonard Fournette and backup Chris Ivory combined for 222 rushing yards and two scores against the Steelers last Sunday.

“We wanted to be able to run the football and that’s been said since I’ve been here,” Bortles told reporters on Wednesday, “and this is the first year that it’s actually been put into action and been able to do it and execute it.”

With Marrone at the controls and Nathaniel Hackett in as the first-year offensive coordinator, Bortles is clearly in a system that is most friendly to his skills while hiding his flaws. An interception machine in his first three seasons, all under coach Gus Bradley, Bortles has thrown just four picks in five games in part because the volume of his pass attempts has dramatically decreased.

Bortles is tied for 24th among all passes in attempts and tied for 30th in completions. His 54.8 completion percentage is 31st in the league, and his average pass length of 7.26 yards per attempt is 26th. The Jaguars have effectively taken the ball out of Bortles’ hands and put it into the hands of the league’s best rushing attack. And when Bortles is forced to keep the ball, they’ve asked him to throw shorter, less risky passes.

No one has rushed the ball more through five weeks than Fournette, whose 109 carries outpaces Ezekiel Elliott, Le’Veon Bell and Todd Gurley. His 466 rushing yards (aided by the 90-yard killer against the Steelers—the longest of the season by a running back) are the second-most in the league behind Kareem Hunt.

Ivory has found his spots, too, rushing 38 times for 159 yards, good for 37th overall in the league. To boot, these two backs are getting yards against stacked boxes from defenses knowing that they prefer the run over the pass.

Indeed the Jags topped the Steelers primarily because Ben Roethlisberger turned the ball over five times—two resulted in pick-sixes—and the Steelers abandoned a running game that had worked with moderate success in the first half. Jacksonville’s defense, and especially corners Jalen Ramsey and A.J. Bouye, has helped the Jaguars to the best turnover ratio in the game today at plus-10.

Not all opposing quarterbacks will be as charitable as Roethlisberger was last week, though, and the onus will fall on Bortles to make plays with his arm like every other quarterback in this league.

“When you’re running for 200-plus yards, we can keep running it and they can keep adding people to the box,” Bortles said. “But eventually you’re going to have to throw it and you’re going to have to beat people throwing the ball. You can only block so many guys.

We know that and understand that and we’re going to continue to try to find ways to run the ball, even against loaded boxes. But we’re going to be good when we get the opportunity to throw the ball down the field and work off the play action.”

The Jaguars have beaten Houston and Pittsburgh—two division favorites—with fewer than 20 combined completions from Bortles and 220 combined passing yards.

Perhaps most impressive in Sunday’s win was not that Bortles won by three scores with fewer than 10 completions and 100 yards, but rather that he attempted just one pass on two dropbacks in the entire second half, coming on a three-and-out midway through the third quarter with Pittsburgh leading 9–7. Roethlisberger followed that with his two pick-sixes on back-to-back drives, and Jacksonville’s offense didn’t return to the field until the start of the fourth quarter.

At this point it was still just an 11-point game with a full quarter left to play, but Marrone and Hackett opted to take the ball out of Bortles’ hands almost entirely. The Jags put together a 13-play, 67-yard drive that consisted entirely of rushes before kicking the field goal.

“I think you need discipline,” Marrone said Thursday. “I think you have to have a good discipline about yourself as a play-caller and what you want to do game-plan-wise, and what goes in. …I think it’s a matter of sticking with things.”

Up next, the Jaguars face the Los Angeles Rams, another surprising 3–2 team. This is the first time Jacksonville has had a winning record in Week 5 since 2010, and the Jags are gunning for consecutive wins for just the third time in the Bortles era.

And interestingly, it seems the formula to reaching 4–2 in the Bortles era is to have as little of Bortles throwing as possible.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bortles is tied for 24th among all passes in attempts and tied for 30th in completions. His 54.8 completion percentage is 31st in the league, and his average pass length of 7.26 yards per attempt is 26th. The Jaguars have effectively taken the ball out of Bortles’ hands and put it into the hands of the league’s best rushing attack. And when Bortles is forced to keep the ball, they’ve asked him to throw shorter, less risky passes.
What Fisher had hoped he could do.

We'll see how far this strategy takes JAX.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
What Fisher had hoped he could do.

We'll see how far this strategy takes JAX.

What eventually happens is that the defense gets worn down or has a bad game, or the special teams screws up, and the offense can't pick up the slack and so your team loses. Rams fans during the Fisher tenure know this all too well.
https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/10/12/16464958/big-cat-country-q-a-just-how-good-is-aaron-donald

Q&A: Just how good is Aaron Donald?
by Ryan Day

usa_today_10296874.0.jpg

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

Q: The offensive line has performed well to date. How much of a problem do you expect Aaron Donald to be this week?

A: I expect him to be the best interior defender they’ll face all season, so... a big problem. He might literally be the most impactful player on the field on Sunday — offense or defense.

Q: Will our defense stop the Los Angeles Rams' run game and make Jared Goff pass against our number one secondary?

A: I honestly don’t think so. Our run defense has been incredibly bad all year and this is a good offense with a very good running back and offensive line. Goff will certainly be throwing at some point as I don’t think the Rams coaches have lost as much faith in him as the Jaguars coaches have in Blake Bortles.

It will honestly be a matter of bending but not breaking on Sunday — taking advantage of the few times Goff throws the ball because I guarantee you we will be gashed for some long runs and sustained drives.
---------
Is Donald going to crush our interior linemen?
---------
Aaron Donald is the equivalent of Prime J.J.Watt, an utter and complete disrupter,
we need to put emphasis on containing him. It’ll be interesting to see what transpires.
----------
Also – we won’t be gashed by Gurley. We play the run w/a packed box and dare Goff to beat us on 1on1 press – 2 Int’s this game.
---------
24 - 10 JAGS
2 Defensive TDs in the 4th
--------
We've been blown out once this year. We're fully capable of it happening again.
I hope the players aren’t taking things for granted like our fans are.
---------
I haven't watched the Rams all year
what is their base offense formation? do they run mostly 3wr sets like the steelers do? Not that I am doubting Aaron Colvin after that performance but I would rather have Poz out there and walk Church up vs Gurly. My expectation for this game and every Jags game is if we get the opponent throwing regularly we win even if we have to have to leave our DB’s completely on an island to do it.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I realize it's not fans, but Fantasy "experts" are pretty much saying start you Jags against the Rams and sit all Rams against the Jags. It seems like fans and pros alike really don't like Rams chances against these Jags.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I realize it's not fans, but Fantasy "experts" are pretty much saying start you Jags against the Rams and sit all Rams against the Jags. It seems like fans and pros alike really don't like Rams chances against these Jags.

haha, fantasy experts. they don't know their heads from their arseholes.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Rams are 4th highest in giveaways right now with 10. Only the Browns Bears and Bengals are higher.
Having a potent offense DOESN'T mean that it comes with a higher chance of ball security issues either.
Not buying it.

Exactly half of those were last week.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those same "experts" rated my 2 drafts worst in the league. I'm the only one left in both that's undefeated so far.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yea, 5 over 4 games wasn't problematic. We just had a flukey week.
5 lost fumbles over 4 games is problematic. Lots of teams fumble and recover. The good news is Goff isn't throwing a ton of picks thru 5 games.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
5 lost fumbles over 4 games is problematic. Lots of teams fumble and recover. The good news is Goff isn't throwing a ton of picks thru 5 games.

I completely the fumbling is a problem.

I think it boils down to a young team of playmakers trying to create more than they need to.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It is, but that also tends to be flukey.

EDIT: 5 lost fumbles over 4 games? Are we including Seattle?

Q729

Legend
I'm just not enjoying these as I should...still too soon after Sunday...
I with you. Don't enjoy reading them as much after losses. Lol. Anyway, these guys sound just like the Redskins fans doubting their team. I think it comes down to minimizing turnovers and not getting bad vibes early like that Gurley non-TD.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://jacksonville.com/sports/jagu...book-donald-will-be-tough-test-linder-less-ol

Jaguars Notebook: Donald will be tough test for Linder-less OL
Phillip Heilman

4405557_web1_copy_15713859.jpg

Associated Press

San Francisco 49ers right guard Brandon Fusco had almost no chance.

With the 49ers trailing the Los Angeles Rams 41-39 during Week 3 and facing fourth-and-20 with under two minutes remaining, Fusco had the responsibility of blocking defensive tackle Aaron Donald one-on-one.

Donald used his power to get Fusco off balance and then switched to a speed move to motor by him and sack quarterback Brian Hoyer for a loss of eight yards.

His sack ended that game, and Donald is more than capable of disrupting what the Jaguars want to do on offense Sunday at EverBank Field.

“He has rare speed at that three-technique position,” said right guard A.J. Cann. “That goes along with his power and that generates a lot of physical strength.”

And a lot of problems for opposing offensive lines. Donald appears to be rounding into form after he missed all of the preseason in a contract holdout.

“You really [see] him getting more comfortable and getting back into football mode,” Rams coach Sean McVay said. “The last few weeks, I think he’s played like one of the best defensive tackles in the league, which we’ve known he’s been for the last handful of years.”

Donald played 53 of 68 defensive snaps last week against Seattle. On the Seahawks’ six-play opening possession, Donald came from quarterback Russell Wilson’s right three times, from his left twice and lined up over the center once.

“We’ve got the entire offense understanding where No. 99 is,” offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett said, referring to Donald’s jersey number. “[He has] quickness off the ball and he has power and strength and he has the speed to get around you but he can also bull rush you like no one else. The combination of both is incredible.”

Marrone and Hackett’s battles with Donald go back to their days in the Big East.

Three of Donald’s four seasons at Pittsburgh overlapped with Marrone’s time as Syracuse’s coach and Hackett’s time on the offensive staff. In three meetings, Donald had 13 tackles and a sack.

Since then, Donald has won NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and been voted to three Pro Bowls.

“When he left (college), I was hoping to never see him again,” Marrone said. “And here we are again.”

Linder ruled out

The Jaguars ruled out center Brandon Linder (illness) for the second consecutive game.

Asked to clarify Linder’s issue, Marrone said: “He has an illness, but he is getting better. It’s just a matter of time [but] you never know [when] it’s going to be. He worked out [Friday] and did some conditioning.”

Marrone said Linder has not experienced a significant weight loss because of the illness.

Tyler Shatley will start at center against the Rams.

Listed as questionable are guard Patrick Omameh (hip) and receiver Arrelious Benn (groin).

Receiver Jaelen Strong (hamstring) was a full practice participant all week and could make his Jaguars debut and linebacker Lerentee McCray (knee) could return after missing the last three games.

Jags vs. ex-Jags

The Rams have two direct ties to the Jaguars in quarterbacks coach Greg Olson and third-string quarterback Brandon Allen.

Olson was the Jaguars’ quarterbacks coach in 2012 and the offensive coordinator in 2015 and for the first six games of last year before being fired.

“He’s as responsible as anybody for how well [quarterback] Jared [Goff] has played and watching him grow,” McVay said of Olson. “You talk about a great mentor for Jared in our quarterback room but he’s also been instrumental in helping me out. His experience is invaluable for us and we’re very fortunate to have him on our staff.”

Allen was a sixth-round pick by the Jaguars in 2016 but waived after the preseason and claimed by the Rams.

“He’s done a great job,” McVay said. “He’s a very conscientious player, he understands the game and picked things up well.”

Etc.

Jaguars special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis was on the same staff with Wade Phillips in Denver (twice) and Atlanta and Dallas (once apiece). When Phillips became the Cowboys’ head coach in 2009, he hired DeCamillis, who said: “He’s one of the best assistants to ever coach in the game. He makes light of it, but he was a heckuva head coach, too – his record [82-64] was pretty good. He’s a dear friend.” …

Hackett on calling 12 consecutive run plays during a fourth-quarter drive against Pittsburgh last week: “That was probably the most fired up I’ve ever been. I was going crazy. We were on the [Jaguars’ 5-yard line] and we hadn’t been on the field in a while. It was, ‘Oh, my gosh, we have to stay on the field, somehow, some way and we have to make sure the clock runs.’

I didn’t even realize it was [12 straight run plays]. We were just rolling.” … Sunday’s 4:05 p.m. kickoff will be only the third late afternoon kickoff since the start of 2012. The Jaguars lost to Cincinnati in 2012 and beat Miami in 2015.

Staff writer Ryan O’Halloran contributed to this story.

A55VA6

Legend
I know this has no indication on the game tomorrow, but thought it was funny.

I was playing against a Jaguars fan on Madden. Let's just say he had a bad experience.

92a2c381-d6b8-4b1b-b09e-f9734dbc5510.PNG