What Is A Rams Linebacking Corps Without James Laurinaitis?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/5...e-linebackers-james-laurinaitis-alec-ogletree

Sorting Out the Rams' Linebacking Corps Without James Laurinaitis
By QBKlass on May 13, 2016

usa-today-8209638.0.jpg

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

The Rams may not have a new big time player to fill the void left by Laurinaitis, but they are better without him.

James Laurinaitis was one of the worst starting linebackers in football last season.

With most every other sub par linebacker (or player, in general), there is one redeemable trait that can be schemed around and used tactfully. In 2015, that was not the case with Laurinaitis. He had his handful of open clean-up plays, sure, but most any other linebacker in the league could have been substituted in for most of those snaps and made the same play. For every one good play Laurinaitis had, he matched it with at least five or six awful plays.

He was too slow, for one. Not just in the physical sense, but often in the mental sense. If you watch each snap in about quarter-of-a-second chunks, the other linebackers on the team are, a majority of the time, moving closer to the ball much more immediately than Laurinaitis was. The other linebackers on the team, primarily Mark Barron, could react without thinking, whereas Laurinaitis seemed to have rusted gears grinding together in his head on every snap.

JLaur3.0.gif

This play shows Laurinaitis lacking in both mental speed and physical speed. There is a gaping hole for Laurinaitis to fly through and make a play in, but the play is almost entirely derailed from the start. Look at his first step. Instead of stepping directly toward the line of scrimmage, he has to pivot a bit and direct his body to the area first.

Notice the backer next to him, Akeem Ayers, immediately steps downhill and to his left. Had Laurinaitis done the same, he'd have been able to get into the hole earlier and give the running back much less space to make a cut back. Instead, Laurinaitis is slow to get to the area, overextends his angle too wide and ultimately allows the running back to cut back and pick up nearly 20 yards.

Here are a few more examples of Laurinaitis being too slow to make a play.

JLaur4.0.gif

JLaur6.0.gif

JLaur7.0.gif

So many open gaps to shoot; so many missed opportunities.

Laurinaitis also played without tenacity, for the most part. There would be an occasional play or two where he sprinted through an open A-gap to make a play, but he was scared (and physically incapable) of taking direct angles and had zero affinity or ability in handling blockers. He was manhandled a lot of the time.

Some of the plays above show his lack of wanting to take harsh angles, especially the last play, but one play versus the Cardinals highlights that fear with his inability to fight blockers.

JLaur5.0.gif

As soon as Laurinaitis passes where Larry Fitzgerald is blocking Barron, he needs to blow up No.76 (Mike Iupati) and force the running back into a train wreck. Instead, Laurinaitis stays conservative and allows the block to come to him, keeping himself away from the running back and likely allowing about five more yards than he should have.

Laurinaitis fails to blow up a blocker to make a play in the example below, too. He could clog the running lane by forcing the blocker backwards. Granted, Michael Brockers also does not get the penetration that he should have, but Laurinaitis had a chance to save the play and he couldn't.

JLaur2.0.gif

Oddly enough, there are other times where he will take on blockers for no reason. It is almost as if he takes on a block because being physical is just what a linebacker should do. Whatever the rationale is, it leads to him whiffing on big plays. He does not take on those blocks with any sort of success in those situations either, but he sure he likes to try.

JLaur8.0.gif

There is a huge gap between the center and the fullback/tight end who is lead blocking. There is no need to take on that lead blocker. Laurinaitis could have carried himself further to the left and shot right into the running back's hips. The play ended up being stuffed by Brockers and William Hayes regardless, but Laurinaitis could have made a play in the backfield. He instead opted to hit somebody for the sake of doing so.

For the betterment of the Rams linebacking corps, Laurinaitis is gone and now the New Orleans Saints problem. Alec Ogletree, who will be coming off of an injury, will assume his role as the full time middle linebacker. Barron and Ayers will likely be by his side when in base sets, with Barron presumably taking more of the nickel snaps than Ayers (when only two linebackers are on the field, one being substituted for a defensive back).

Barron is the biggest play maker of the bunch, even if that comes with a handful of miscalculated risks, too. Ayers has some ability taking on blocks and setting the edge, though he does not have the athleticism or coverage ability to be more than average. Ogletree is the focal point of the second level now.

Ogletree is not without fault, of course. He can be a bit hesitant at times (far less often than Laurinaitis, though) and does not have the lower body strength to hold his ground well against blockers, but he has a redeemable trait that can help him be a key player for the Rams.

Ogletree is fast. He is very fast. Linebackers, especially his size, should not be able to cover as much ground as he does. He can legitimately make plays across the field and his range has saved a number of big plays in the past. Though he missed all but four games last season, it was clear that he was the best linebacker on the team last year and should be primed to uphold that status in 2016.

Tenacity is a huge part of Ogletree's game. When he sees something, he goes from 0-60 MPH in a heartbeat. He wants to make plays. As stated before, Ogletree is not the strongest linebacker, but he understands that and can often find ways around it. There are many times where he can simply out run a lineman and beat them to the point of attack. Ogletree has gotten fairly good at understanding body leverage, though, and how to use that to his advantage.

Ogletree1.0.gif

On this play, Ogletree sees that the left tackle is moving sharply to his right. Instead of Ogletree planting his feet squarely to take on the blocker, Ogletree plants his left foot in front of the blocker and then drives through the left side of his body, forcing the lineman to spiral off right into the running lane.

Ogletree won this play not only because he is so quick off the snap, but because he understood how to best combat the lineman in his way. These sort of explosive plays are what make Ogletree a valuable player, especially with how often the Rams defensive line is able to open up lanes for him to take advantage of.

Ogletree's value spans beyond the run game, though. He is a great asset as a coverage player. He as the athleticism to run with any tight end and has the range to swarm on receivers when he is playing zone coverage.

Ogletree2.0.gif

This man is relentless. First of all, it is impressive to see how quickly Ogletree sorts through the traffic and makes up ground after Laurinaitis fails to jam the tight end. He then sticks with his man like glue up until the ball is out, then he turns into a head hunter and does his part in being a tone setter by laying the wood on poor Jermaine Kearse. Ogletree has an energy to him that embodies the "lead by example" mentality.

The Rams group of linebackers is not special, but it has a definite centerpiece in Ogletree, a play maker in Barron and a contributor in Ayers. More than likely, Ayers will need to be replaced after the year, but options are limited in how that can be done. As it stands, the Rams only top 100 pick in 2017 is their 2nd round pick and it would be tough to rationalize spending a team's only premium pick on a linebacker.

An alternative could be to sign someone, whether it is a big signing or another stop gap. Big name future free agents, like Jamie Collins, are tough to predict whether or not they will be re-signed by their original team, but less popular players are safer to project hitting the market. A few names to keep an eye on could be Jelani Jenkins (Miami Dolphins), AJ Klein (Carolina Panthers) and Brandon Marshall (Denver Broncos).

Ogletree and Barron make for a very intriguing duo, but adding a third quality linebacker could really make this Rams defense menacing. It will interesting to see how the current starters play next year and how the Rams handle the position next off-season.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Can't agree with this^!! Not when I look at JL's career with the Rams!! I'll Throw a Flag on this OP!:redcard: I'll also say ...

newhere.jpg

Ain't right.jpg

IN FACT ...
BS!.gif

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
:shocking: Brutal analysis of our man James. Although I think most of us have seen the reality of this for a few years now.

The Rams have gotten better in addition by subtraction. With James and Chris. And to some degree, the matador, Janoris.

Somewhere, :baghead:Aints fans are picking up this piece, and saying, "ruh roh " as they realize they signed a corpse to run their struggling defense.

I think Fisher and Snead are wising up to this reality. Don't sign reputation guys on the down side of their career. Speed and aggressiveness are critical in this league. They stuck with James a year or two too long. Same with Chris.

In all fairness, both James and Chris are warriors. Both played through injuries that stripped them of their previous effectiveness. They lost their edge. Fisher hoped they could get it back. To the teams detriment.

The Rams have done in the past, what New Orleans and The Cheatriots are doing this year.

We signed the corpse of Brady Poppinga. :rant:He lost his pop!

We signed the corpse of Shane Conlan. :rant:We forgot to sign his knee cartilage!

I think Snisher has a pretty good focus for success now. I think we will see it play out. This year.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can't agree with this^!! Not when I look at JL's career with the Rams!! I'll Throw a Flag on this OP!:redcard: I'll also say ...

View attachment 13686

View attachment 13687
IN FACT ...
View attachment 13688

There's a reason he was let go. He's not over the hill. He's only 29. The defensive coaches saw a chance to upgrade that position and took it. Whether it works out for the better remains to be seen. JL was durable and I wish him the best, but a faster, more instinctive replacement will make our linebacker position much more effective.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
There are not enough facepalm gifs on the interwebs to post here. The writer is so ignorant of scheme and the concept of role assignments he should get a job as PFF's lead analyst. There is no question JL lost a step and had a bad year and the Rams made the right choice parting ways, but the criticism should be informed, not this dreck.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Lauranatis great vet presence, but was always an odd fit for Williams defense. All across the board on defense Rams have some of the most athletic players at their respective positions. whereas JL one of the least athletic LBs. Appreciate his toughness, leadership, and commitment to the team, but I am excited to see what G will do with 11 elite athletes

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
There are not enough facepalm gifs on the interwebs to post here. The writer is so ignorant of scheme and the concept of role assignments he should get a job as PFF's lead analyst. There is no question JL lost a step and had a bad year and the Rams made the right choice parting ways, but the criticism should be informed, not this dreck.

Yeah, this clear-cut visual proof is not substantial enough. /s

James was overrated by us fans. Has been for a while. He was the epitome of toughness and durability, but not much else. Some teams are surrounded by talent and can afford to have a player like Laurinaitis on the field, but I'm glad we released him. Too slow and couldn't shed a block to save his life.

Chris was a tough one for me. Haven't felt that sinking feeling in my stomach since Ike left (and joined the Niners, to boot). Chris was one of my favorite Rams-- even have his rookie #72 jersey autographed. But his release was definitely for the best.

@Roman Snow hit the nail on the head with that post.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Look, I think we all like JL and thank him for his time as a Ram, but come on. THere is absolutely no way todefend the play on the field that last 2 years. Not rationally anyway. WHat does the scheme have to do with it? Was Williams asking him to run around slowly? Get scrubbed off by O lineman at the second level? Misread or just no shoot gaps? Some have defended his play saying that he was meant to be a "backstop" LB. As if Williams would hedge his bets of having the safeties take chances by having the slowest guy in the back 7 there to clean up?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
JL was never scared after that crack I quite reading.

He was injured the last two years and really had o choice but to stick it out last year with the team already beaten up with injuries. And, even with those limitations in scheme and health he was still the glue that held it all together.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
... he was still the glue that held it all together.

I disagree. I think Quinn and Ogletree (and now Donald) hold that responsibility. It's no coincidence our defensive play dropped off a bit when those two guys went out.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope tree picked up the mental side of the game from JlL that's for sure ..... I temper a game against the colts where peytom was doing his LOS dance ... And there was JL matching him audible for audible

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I hope tree picked up the mental side of the game from JlL that's for sure ..... I temper a game against the colts where peytom was doing his LOS dance ... And there was JL matching him audible for audible

And Ogletree intercepting him. (Or maybe that was preseason).

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Ogletree intercepting him. (Or maybe that was preseason).
Yeah I know there was a big play after it .... Couldn't remember what it was .. (I can barely remember this morning )

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I disagree. I think Quinn and Ogletree (and now Donald) hold that responsibility. It's no coincidence our defensive play dropped off a bit when those two guys went out.
Ogletree wasn't playing and Quinn was barely in there in 2015 and neither one of them had stepped up into a leadership role. Those were still JL and Long.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Yeah, this clear-cut visual proof is not substantial enough
Instead of seeing what this writer is telling you to see in these plays, think about what you are not seeing. I don't have the time to do a huge write up so I'll just pull out two examples.

First, the top play: JL has a clear lane to take down the RB but doesn't. We're told the reason is because JL sucks, but the real reason is because his role was not the play-maker in that defense. JL's job was to let the other guys on the field make the plays and for him to be the safety net in case they didn't.

Personally, I hated this concept. I think the MLB should be the playmaker, not the support player. I'm of the "see ball get ball" killer instinct school for linebackers. But that's what JL was told to do, and a defense works because the people commit to the team, not play like individuals.

GW's role for JL was for him to be conservative and hold the line instead of charge in aggressively. Why? One reason was to not create cut back lanes. So while it looks like JL sucks on this play, he's obeying his role and in fact the RB cuts back exactly as the defense should be prepared for will happen.

Unfortunately, it's not. Donald -- and I know this is blasphemy to utter -- gives too much ground, but he's facing three blockers so it's understandable. The real problem in this play is Ayers. He totally overlaps Donald and opens his lane instead of maintaining gap discipline. And shocker that's where the RB goes.

It is understandable that people see JL unblocked with a path to the RB and cry that it's his fault. After all Kuechly would have knifed in and stuck the guy in a heartbeat! But this isn't the same defense scheme and that wasn't JL's role. Me, personally, would always want a Kuechly. I want an unblocked MLB to explode to the ball and stuff that thing with a huge collision, but that simply was not JL's orders.

We know this because if he was supposed to be a "normal" MLB, we would have seen JL trying to do those kind of Kuechly plays but flailing and missing a lot due to his diminished skills. But how many times did we see JL knife a gap and whiff and stand there empty-handed in the backfield for all the world to see? If he simply sucked, that's what we would have seen over and over.

Clearly, he was instructed not to take aggressive risk and play the conservative way shown in the examples. I disagree with it, but I see why GW wanted it because it allowed the superior DL talent and the other less-disciplined LBs (Barron) to be the aggressive, attacking risk-takers and play makers. You can't just "bloody Sunday" and have all 11 guys blitz every down, someone has to stay back to prevent the big play and be there to cover when others whiff, and that was JL's role for the front 7.

Another example of the writer being clueless is his first Ogletree example. The writer swoons over AO's aggressiveness while totally not seeing AO is aligned on the line of scrimmage running a stunt with Donald. He's misinterpreting scheme design for individual tenacity. Again, the point isn't I disagree -- AO is indeed tenacious, aggressive and fast -- it's that the example is trying to show something that's not true of that particular play.

TL;dr-- it is totally agreed that JL had a terrible year and should have made more plays than he did, but it is also totally clear that his role was defined towards lending that impression. Criticism of JL is totally warranted but needs to be done while understanding his job in the scheme, not just superficially showing a play and saying he sucks for reasons that aren't true. Maybe the reason JL was asked to play this role is due to his diminished skills. Hopefully now GW has a more athletic and tenacious MLB that can be more of the role I would expect an MLB to perform.

RamWoodie

Legend
I simply don't share the OPs opinion on JL. Heck...you can show a few plays on any MLB and show areas where they were out of position or behind a play...THAT'S FOOTBALL!!!

Having said that I will say in my opinion JL was a SOLID MLB for the Rams for the most part. Not great...but even moreso not as bad as the few plays the OP showed in his post.

JL obviously peaked and was beginning to drop off in my opinion about 2 years ago. He's moved on to the Saints...and I thank him for his play as a Ram.

This INT by JL against the Panthers shows the guy communicating and making a great read on where to be. It's nicely explained too:

Nope...JL was not great...but he was no slouch either. I say goodbye to a good Ram player!

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Look, I think we all like JL and thank him for his time as a Ram, but come on. THere is absolutely no way todefend the play on the field that last 2 years. Not rationally anyway. WHat does the scheme have to do with it? Was Williams asking him to run around slowly? Get scrubbed off by O lineman at the second level? Misread or just no shoot gaps? Some have defended his play saying that he was meant to be a "backstop" LB. As if Williams would hedge his bets of having the safeties take chances by having the slowest guy in the back 7 there to clean up?
There was no perceived reason for Tim Walton to play CBs with 10-15 yards cushions either, but it was what it was. Similarly JL's role was what it was. Maybe GW didn't want to do it and the role was forced wholly due to JL's diminished skills, but I can't deny it was designed that way. Hopefully the Rams have moved on to a different philosophy and we will see Ogletree attack more from the MLB spot.