What if we sign Richie and Saffold?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Saffold's return is a high priority to me, but if the price is right, would you welcome (or accept) Richie? At the end of the day, Richie is a solid, physical guard that was good friends with Long. More importantly, this move would allow us to draft Watkins and finish the defense.

Not something that I'm advocating, but I can live with this if it happens.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I wouldn't do it. He would bring a negative vib and a load of media attention with him. The Rams don't need that type of distraction.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wouldn't do it. He would bring a negative vib and a load of media attention with him. The Rams don't need that type of distraction.
How much of a distraction will it be? There will be some initially of course, but I think most of it will die down before camp. Richie signing with the Rams can't be the juiciest topic of the offseason, IMO, especially if he says the right things in addition to the guidance of JL. Maybe it will divert the little attention the Rams get away from Bradford.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
How much of a distraction will it be? There will be some initially of course, but I think most of it will die down before camp. Richie signing with the Rams can't be the juiciest topic of the offseason, IMO, especially if he says the right things in addition to the guidance of JL. Maybe it will divert the little attention the Rams get away from Bradford.

Well, if he is cheap and has corrected his ignorant behavior then maybe it would work for us. I just see it as a gamble though because what will the team think of the guy who was booted off the Dolphins for harassing a rookie? If he disrupts the chemistry of the squad, especially the OL, then it's hard to judge his real value as a player.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With those texts coming out, I'm not as opposed. Sheds a different light on things. But I still would try to go in other directions...like his teammate John Jerry.

laramsoriginal

Starter
The media portrayed richie as a bully and even a racist...

After those texts came out I think Martin is a huge vagina.

If the rams could sign richie and Saffold on incentive loaded contracts then im all for it. It would solve both Guard slots and allow the rams to focus on drafting some DB's, LB, DT, and depth at OT and OG in the draft.

Yeah, do it rams.

fearsomefour

Legend
With those texts coming out, I'm not as opposed. Sheds a different light on things. But I still would try to go in other directions...like his teammate John Jerry.
How good is Jerry? I know he doesnt fit the Dolphins scheme very well, but, Incognito is a better player in my opinion.

fearsomefour

Legend
The media portrayed richie as a bully and even a racist...

After those texts came out I think Martin is a huge vagina.

If the rams could sign richie and Saffold on incentive loaded contracts then im all for it. It would solve both Guard slots and allow the rams to focus on drafting some DB's, LB, DT, and depth at OT and OG in the draft.

Yeah, do it rams.
I have been saying this for months. This was much ado about nothing and if the Rams could get him cheap, do it. You could put conditions on his contract regarding social media or press contact.
Bottom line, I would rather pay him $3M a year than Chris Williams $1M.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Also lets not forget that Richie is a solid OG. He would lock down the LG or RG position the first day at camp. Sign Saffold and Richie, Sam will be smiling all season long.

Lt Long
LG Richie
C. Jones
RG Saffold
RT Joe

Then draft (2nd round) OT from OSU mewhort or whatever his name is spelled to add depth at OT/OG

…..

Legend
I'd like his nastiness in the lineup....but lets face it...we're in for some WAR like matchup with SF and Seattle. These games are going to be very intense. Richie is not the type to be intimidated and I'm afraid he just cant hold it together in the trenches in these inensly physical matchups..... In the end, he'll end up costing us. Seattle would most certainly go out of thier way to influence him to extend plays after the whistle!

Incognito has never had a problem with his press contact....and the social media snafu wasnt social at all...it was PRIVATE.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How good is Jerry? I know he doesnt fit the Dolphins scheme very well, but, Incognito is a better player in my opinion.

He's a solid player. Hasn't done well as a run blocker in the Dolphins ZBS scheme but he's 335, I figure Boudreau might be able to tap into that. Is a pretty good pass protector. Incognito is a better but Jerry doesn't come with the same sort of baggage and he's still relatively young with some upside.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Well, if he is cheap and has corrected his ignorant behavior then maybe it would work for us. I just see it as a gamble though because what will the team think of the guy who was booted off the Dolphins for harassing a rookie? If he disrupts the chemistry of the squad, especially the OL, then it's hard to judge his real value as a player.
Martin was a 2nd year player. IMO, Cognito did nothing to disrupt the team's chemistry. Apparently, Martin was every bit as involved in this "text war" as Richie. Below is an article from the Miami Herald regarding the texts exchanged.

Texts shed light on relationship between Miami Dolphins’ Jonathan Martin, Richie Incognito

Recently released text messages further blur the bullying claims by Jonathan Martin against the Dolphins and Richie Incognito.
Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito (68) and tackle Jonathan Martin (71) look over plays during the second half of an NFL preseason football game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Saturday, Aug. 24, 2013 in Miami Gardens, Fla.
WILFREDO LEE / ASSOCIATED PRESS
BY ADAM H. BEASLEY
ABEASLEY@MIAMIHERALD.COM
As the football world waits this week for Ted Wells’ report on the Dolphins’ bullying scandal, fresh context into the relationship between Jonathan Martin and Richie Incognito emerged Monday.

USA Today published more than 1,000 text messages between the two former teammates late in the day, a back-and-forth that would seem to suggest that Martin was more participant in bawdy behavior than victim of it.

The two men, who both returned to the limelight last week, would often profanely discuss their sexual conquests and taste for nightlife. The correspondence appears to support Incognito’s contention that the two men were friends, but certainly, the language used would be offensive to many.

Most specifically, Incognito often would call Martin gay, although often in an apparently joking fashion.

Also, the two went back and forth about the infamous trip to Las Vegas, for which Martin was reportedly pressured to pay, even though he didn’t attend.

In the end, however, Incognito appeared to back off the request for $6,000, and Martin even offered to pay his share for the hotel room. The use of prostitutes was often discussed.

As CBS Miami reported last week, there was also discussion of drug use by Martin, with Mike Pouncey’s home brought up in that context.

Incognito would often use racial epithets when referring to Martin and did indeed, as reported elsewhere, joke that he could kill Martin and get away with it because “I’m white ur black.”

However, that’s when Martin countered with the threat to have Incognito raped with sandpaper condoms.

The two stayed in touch from the end of the 2012 season through the start of training camp, with Incognito often checking on his teammate’s training. The two discussed the loss of offensive tackle Jake Long to the Rams, with Incognito saying that “[Jeff] Ireland didn’t make him feel welcome.”

But the most fascinating part of the exchange is how the relationship ended. As they often did, the two hit the town together on Oct. 23. Five days later, Martin stormed out of the team’s training complex after a lunchroom prank gone wrong.

Incognito reached out to Martin six times the night of Oct. 28, imploring his teammate to call or text him.

The next day, Incognito wrote: “What’s up dude Glad to hear Ur ok I’m here if u ever need to talk. I’ve been through enough [expletive] myself to understand.” He also wrote that he missed Martin’s “stinky armpits.”

Finally, Martin responded four days after he left the team, saying: “Wassup man? The worlds gone crazy lol I’m good tho congrats on the win. ... I’m good man. It’s insane bro but just know I don’t blame you guys at all it’s just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little.”

Later that night, Incognito sent Martin a copy of an ESPN story that, for the first time, implicated Incognito as Martin’s alleged tormenter.

Martin responded: “I got nothing to do with it man I haven’t said anything to anyone.” That was the last of the hundreds of texts Martin would send Incognito.

Incognito’s final text to Martin, according to USA Today’s report, came on Nov. 3: “Bro can we talk? The dolphins are talking about releasing me.”

Incognito was indefinitely suspended that night.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Yeah Id welcome Richie back. Think he's come out as a real bad guy from the whole mess with Martin but I don't think he's a cancer on the locker room as some think and I think he does have some friends here in St Louis still. More importantly, if his head gets right (and I think Fisher could get it right!) then he has the ability to play at a pro bowl level - as does Saffold. So we could get 2 all pro calibre guards to start on our line. Easy answer. Yes.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Exactly! I would take Richie in a heartbeat. It could happen too. Demoffs said Fisher wanted to instill more fight in the Rams and that when they were pushed around, in the past they didn't push back. Richie would bring attitude to the line. He would be an upgrade over Dahl. Not to say Harvey didn't have fight in him but he is not as good as Richie. Incognito would be a big improvement over Williams for sure.

For those that didn't see it- The Dolphins line has a big end of the season celebration every year and Richie was there. That doesn't sound like a guy who is hated in the locker room.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah Id welcome Richie back. Think he's come out as a real bad guy from the whole mess with Martin but I don't think he's a cancer on the locker room as some think and I think he does have some friends here in St Louis still. More importantly, if his head gets right (and I think Fisher could get it right!) then he has the ability to play at a pro bowl level - as does Saffold. So we could get 2 all pro calibre guards to start on our line. Easy answer. Yes.

I feel ya but I don't want him cuz as of now the truth doesn't matter,it will get 1% of the coverage and FWIW won't even be served by agenda driven announcers .
Incognito will ALWAYS have as much or more baggage as Greg Williams and we don't need ANY MORE baggage right or wrong perception is reality and it would now take a media storm to reverse all the perception Cogs currently comes with.
IF HE was a top five guard fine but he's a journeyman who has placed himself in a poor PR position before any of this shit hit the fan and IMO won't be less ,WE DON'T need offense and defense to be subject to the sots of backlashes that come with the controversy.

The "anti -bullying" advocates don't care that they are wrong,the cause is a vehicle to power and Cogs is a usefull idiot for them they won't let it go.
ASK JAMIE FOX

Lesson

Oh, really?
Richie might be a solid player, but I wouldn't want him back as a Ram, even if he actually did clean up his act.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Well, considering the Rams already hired Williams I don't think they're too concerned about media backlash. The bounty-gate scandal was a much larger NFL story when it was happening and Incognito was ultimately found to be "innocent". Not suspended by the league for a year like Williams.

Barron and Incognito sounds pretty dang good in terms of the o-line, IMO.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Well, considering the Rams already hired Williams I don't think they're too concerned about media backlash. The bounty-gate scandal was a much larger NFL story when it was happening and Incognito was ultimately found to be "innocent". Not suspended by the league for a year like Williams.

Barron and Incognito sounds pretty dang good in terms of the o-line, IMO.

Yeah ,but there is a critical mass ,an additive effect, and there isn't an advocacy group deriving notoriety from the Bounty problem ,unless it's the constant insistence/inclination to compare every perceived scandal/ villain:rolleyes: to Richard Nixon.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
The Rams are already perceived to be a "dirty" team. Adding Incognito (who is past his best and wasn't that good to begin with) wouldn't exactly help us shed that particular misconception.

As for Saffold, if he is willing to accept that he can be an elite guard but never more than an average tackle and get paid accordingly, I'd love to keep him on the roster.