What I think on the bomb against JJ and McD--

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
upload_2014-11-19_13-28-8.png

upload_2014-11-19_13-29-54.png

upload_2014-11-19_13-31-52.png

upload_2014-11-19_13-34-0.png

upload_2014-11-19_13-35-58.png

upload_2014-11-19_13-36-51.png

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That doesn't look like man to man from Jenkins. It's hard to tell but it looks like he's playing either quarters(deep right) or the curl zone. My guess would be quarters because he's bailing and playing outside leverage. My best guess is that this is Cover 6. Yea, I think it's Cover 6. That would put McLeod and Jenkins both in quarters with McLeod having the inside of the numbers to the seam with Janoris playing the outside of the numbers. Looks like Sanders splits them right on the borderline of where Janoris's zone ends and McLeod's begins. And McLeod, again, gets caught out of position because he's biting on the crossing route.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That doesn't look like man to man from Jenkins. It's hard to tell but it looks like he's playing either quarters(deep right) or the curl zone. My guess would be quarters because he's bailing and playing outside leverage. My best guess is that this is Cover 6. Yea, I think it's Cover 6. That would put McLeod and Jenkins both in quarters with McLeod having the inside of the numbers to the seam with Janoris playing the outside of the numbers. Looks like Sanders splits them right on the borderline of where Janoris's zone ends and McLeod's begins. And McLeod, again, gets caught out of position because he's biting on the crossing route.
It could be deep quarters, but he didn't bail fast enough, he trailed . . .so if it wasn't deep 1/2 for both FS and SS then JJ showed "press" too long. He's got to not get burnt that badly, so I chose the alternative of a combo coverage with him taking that WR m/m but has deep help. But JJ also seemed to slow down for some reason, as if he were expecting deep help and then he and McC had the sideline "debate" shall we call it.

As I said, I could be wrong.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It could be deep quarters, but he didn't bail fast enough, he trailed . . .so if it wasn't deep 1/2 for both FS and SS then JJ showed "press" too long. He's got to not get burnt that badly, so I chose the alternative of a combo coverage with him taking that WR m/m but has deep help.

As I said, I could be wrong.

Nah, he was where he should have been until Sanders cut inside. At that point, he's going to take trail position in case Sanders runs a post corner or a post out so he can settle underneath it with McLeod over the top and try to pick it like Johnson did later in the game.

I'm almost certain that's Cover 6.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Nah, he was where he should have been until Sanders cut inside. At that point, he's going to take trail position in case Sanders runs a post corner or a post out so he can settle underneath it with McLeod over the top and try to pick it like Johnson did later in the game.

I'm almost certain that's Cover 6.
I will take your word for it, but he he had the deep 1/4 and McC had 1/4 from MOF to numbers, why did he and JJ argue and why did McC bite?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will take your word for it, but he he had the deep 1/4 and McC had 1/4 from MOF to numbers, why did he and JJ argue and why did McC bite?

Because Sanders split it down the middle. McLeod probably expected Jenkins would continue to run with him so he could sit on the dig while Jenkins was expecting McLeod to take him so he could sit on any double move that Sanders could possibly run. It wasn't really cut and dry whose man it was at that point.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Nice breakdown! You can really see things on these stills you just can't see when running it as video.
  1. JJ looks to be keeping outside leverage and trailing, releasing Sanders to the deep zone. He was obviously pissed when McL wasn't there.
  2. McLeod needs to get his eyes checked for an astigmatism. That ball was in the air far too long for him to realize that it was over his head. Between the time of the ball release still to the final still, Sanders went from the 27 to the 7 (20 yards) where McLeod only went from the 22 to the 12 (10 yards).
  3. Even without getting his eyes fixed, McL should recognize the deep guy coming into his zone and cover that guy.
  4. The play design was a bit nefarious, not sure if it was intentional or not. With the shallow in-route guy and the deep guy, McL couldn't tell where the ball was going until it was well in the air. If he was in the middle of the field and had an angled view on Manning, McL probably have been able to track the ball better.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Because Sanders split it down the middle. McLeod probably expected Jenkins would continue to run with him so he could sit on the dig while Jenkins was expecting McLeod to take him so he could sit on any double move that Sanders could possibly run. It wasn't really cut and dry whose man it was at that point.

I get that, but also, if it is cover 6, we are a man short underneath, we rushed with 5. so short middle and flat don't have anyone is zone. But I accept your explanation, but if it is Cov-6 then there are a couple of tweaks to it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get that, but also, if it is cover 6, we are a man short underneath, we rushed with 5. so short middle and flat don't have anyone is zone. But I accept your explanation, but if it is Cov-6 then there are a couple of tweaks to it.

We blitzed. We were okay underneath because they had to keep an extra blocker in and chip with the HB. Which meant only three running routes initially with the HB releasing after a delay.

Watching it again, I think I saw what happened. Manning threw in a subtle pump fake which froze Jenkins for a second and it appeared to me that McLeod just didn't see the ball until it was too late. I think he lost it. I don't think he had a clear sight-line on Manning.

It appeared Jenkins gambled thinking McLeod had the deep route and McLeod just didn't see the ball.

FWIW, McLeod took the blame after the play when Jenkins motioned at him.

Yea, it looked like a Cover 6 shell and just a case of bad luck.

Also interesting is that Janoris gave Trumaine some sort of signal pre-snap when they were up on the line in press which told him to bail. Because after the signal, they both started bailing pre-snap.

TexasRam

Legend
Again this isn't a one time thing from Mcloud. It's dam near a weekly occurance that been going in for years.

I remember before this season wanting so bad the rams to get safety Byrd because Mclouds blunders last year letting guys behind him deep.

Same thing different year.

Mcloud has become much better this year in many ways, but he still hasn't figured out the deep ball puzzle.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
even from the stills you posted no way is that JJ's fault. We seen this countless times from Mccloud already. Yea he is a decent hitter for his size but man the Bad coverage he provides makes his big hits useless. Every time this team has been beat deep it's because Mcc is not playing his deep zone properly and looking to jump the shorter routes.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I believe some have said it was Jenkins responsibility....I still believe it was the safety....Why he continues to jump short routes, when men are running past him is beyond my understanding...Most times there is coverage on the shorter routes too...Just not natural for a FS to continue to let men beat him deep, and to basically stop moving while the ball takes off over his head...

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
We blitzed. We were okay underneath because they had to keep an extra blocker in and chip with the HB. Which meant only three running routes initially with the HB releasing after a delay.

Watching it again, I think I saw what happened. Manning threw in a subtle pump fake which froze Jenkins for a second and it appeared to me that McLeod just didn't see the ball until it was too late. I think he lost it. I don't think he had a clear sight-line on Manning.

It appeared Jenkins gambled thinking McLeod had the deep route and McLeod just didn't see the ball.

FWIW, McLeod took the blame after the play when Jenkins motioned at him.

Yea, it looked like a Cover 6 shell and just a case of bad luck.

Also interesting is that Janoris gave Trumaine some sort of signal pre-snap when they were up on the line in press which told him to bail. Because after the signal, they both started bailing pre-snap.
Yes, 100% agree, Manning did freeze but I also think he subtly looked of McC and McC bit, but then never saw ball after that.. and sometimes I miss if it's man or zone, like with Seattle, they play a lot of cov-3 but Bradford talked about how well they digused it and sai they play that "man outside or cover-3 whatever you want to call it"

But I believe your on the quarters coverage., it's sometimes hard to tell when they don't do everything by the book, as in JJ hesitating just enough to trail by too much and get to the outside 1/4

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, 100% agree, Manning did freeze but I also think he subtly looked of McC and McC bit, but then never saw ball after that.. and sometimes I miss if it's man or zone, like with Seattle, they play a lot of cov-3 but Bradford talked about how well they digused it and sai they play that "man outside or cover-3 whatever you want to call it"

But I believe your on the quarters coverage., it's sometimes hard to tell when they don't do everything by the book, as in JJ hesitating just enough to trail by too much and get to the outside 1/4

I've found the best way to determine it is by watching the CB's technique. Generally, if he's playing outside leverage and bail technique, it's going to be zone. Alabama is one of the very few teams that have their CBs use bail technique in man. Seattle does it at times...but like you noted, they just do a good job of disguising their Cover 1 vs. Cover 3(Dan Quinn is great at it...I tried to chart Bridgewater's game against Florida in 2012 and it was a pain in the ass to determine whether Florida was in man or zone). Which doesn't matter as much outside as it does between the numbers.

It's definitely not easy, though. NFL cover schemes are very complex...for the most part.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Regardless of who missed what, Sanders is incredibly fast...a split second of hesitation and he's got you beat.

Big Willie

Starter
I am not smart enough to figure out who made the mistake....but with it being McLeod and Jenkins, chances are both of them are in the wrong place.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
IMO, McC all the way. Jenkins was clearly in zone, to me.