What Did You Do Before the Internet?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah... I'll bet there was some sweating going on.... I was taking off in a 747, that aborted takeoff - and slowing down is not something they are really designed to do! I thought we were going to go through the barrier at the end of runway, however we turned down some taxi-way or something.... I don't suspect that was much of an option on Guam!
It was a C141 and we had to come to a complete stop. Hydraulic failure. Nothing that has happened on a plane since has bothered me. I guess that popped that cherry.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah... I'll bet there was some sweating going on.... I was taking off in a 747, that aborted takeoff - and slowing down is not something they are really designed to do! I thought we were going to go through the barrier at the end of runway, however we turned down some taxi-way or something.... I don't suspect that was much of an option on Guam!
Fly boys and their stories. @Merlin has got a fish story or two on the carrier.....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I made it to the BIG 60 today at 5:15am. I thank the Lord that I am still here.

Name
Tim
Before the internet there was this thing called outside. We used fishing gear and tents, body surfed in the ocean and explored the sand dunes. We often would even WALK to Pismo Beach, about 10 miles away, where they had a skating rink and a pier to fish off of. It was fun to hang out in the game arcade and watch the racers navigate the huge slot car tracks

We used shoe skates nailed to whatever scrap lumber we could find to make skateboards. Our stingray bicycles had banana seats and sissy bars and then we graduated to 'gasp' ten speeds!

Pickup baseball games and outside playing until the street lights came on. There was little league baseball, High School footfall for a year ( I got tired of being run over as I was the smallest guy on the team) and then I was the goalie for the Water Polo team.

I was several years out of High School before the advent of computers so SPORT magazine was my go-to for sports pictures and Vin Scully was the voice of baseball.

I read a lot. Jim Kjelgaard, Tolkien, Piers Anthony, Robert Jordan, Ray Bradbury, Terry Brooks, Frank Herbert, Michener..

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Lemme see. On weekdays I'd have a couple beers with co-workers after work a couple times a week. The other 3 days I'd be playing in sports leagues. Depending on the time of year it would either be softball or basketball. On weekends I'd get up, have coffee with the newspaper. Then wash the car. Maybe yard work. Or hanging out with family and/or friends. Sometimes golf. Sometimes out of town for a softball tournament. Then back to work Monday. Rinse. lather, repeat. I really had a busy schedule back in the 80's. I didn't do internet till around the early 2000's. A little late to the party with that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am thankful that I grew up near the beach in Cali. Would ride the bus, spend all day in the water and checking out the chicks in their bikinis. When we needed money we'd walk PCH and rifle change out of the cars that left their windows down and sometimes we'd hit it big with some bills. And waiting for the bus at day's end I'd try to hit on the chicks walking by, which wasn't very effective but boy was it fun.

Think about what is going to happen when AIs can generate endless amounts of content and that content gets ported into 3D and straight into your head via artificial eyes that have network interfaces in them. The company that corners the market on artificial eyes will be the conduit into VR and it'll make iPhone sales pale in comparison. It is one body part where we have the technology to upgrade right now, just a matter of figuring out the interfacing and avoiding infection and all that.

But when that happens there's gonna be a lot of folks that never go outside. Especially in the big cities where they can work remotely in 3D rendered spaces. Impacts of these things are going to be profound and maybe not good for us but I think it's a stage you gotta figure out your way through as a species if you want to achieve space travel and a long period of survival.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, I made it to the BIG 60 today at 5:15am. I thank the Lord that I am still here.
Ah, I remember when I turned 60 like it was yesterday. I just can't remember yesterday like it was yesterday.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If my life was a football game I'd be in the 4th quarter. Question is, am I early in the 4th or at the two minute warning? :unsure: