What Cowboys Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://cowboyszone.com/threads/rams-defense.299745/

Rams defense

I understand their front four is pretty good, but a lot of you are giving them way too much credit. They are 30th in run defense, allowing 171 yards rushing per game. In other words, Murray will once again have a field day on his favorite opponent.
-----------
If the OL and Murray do their jobs then he has a good chance to put up a big game. I'm sure Fisher will look at film and see the game Murray had vs Tenn and he may look to put 8 or 9 in the box and if that is the case the Cowboys must be able to attack them down the field.
-----------
Titans have a better d. But the rams are supposed to have a good dl. The only way dallas loses this game is if they beat themselves. With romo being the way he is and the oline not pass blocking well I see a heavy does of running again.
-----------
The Rams as a collective defensive unit are not that impressive. McDonald will hit ya, Jenkins is pretty good, and they got some players on that defensive line. Im not gonna make the mistake of writing them off and say the offense should have their way, but if this team is different than years past I think you get the picture.
----------
Oh they're going to stack the box and make Romo beat them with his arm.
---------
Stop the run and If they do that dallas will be in big trouble.
----------
I would think you are right, but they apparently didn't do that against the Bucs. Or it didn't help.
---------
Exactly. I think Dallas needs to continue to show balance but I fully expect Rams to come out loading the box and if Dallas can hit them with some big passes they will back out of the loaded box.
---------
We are catching the rams at a good time. The usually get better as the season goes on. At home with all the injuries we should win this game. That, of course , means I'm concerned we won't
----------
Yes but they will not do so playing 7 in the box, more than likely they will have to load up the fronts but as I just mentioned you hit them with some big plays in the passing game it will force them out of 8 or 9 in the box.
----------
I am not sure we are capable of big plays passing unless it's after the catch. Tony's looking very limited throwing the long ball.
-----------
For me I never take any game or team for granted. Coach Landry taught me well. I would watch his coaches show every week during the season and it seemed no matter who Dallas was going to play by the time his show was over you would swear we were playing the reigning SB champs, even if that team had a losing record.
------------
We will find out soon enough. Teams are not going to just allow us to run on them at will they will test Tony and it is up to Tony and the OL and WR to make them pay.
-----------
Murray gonna tear that defense up like always, can't wait for next week :)
-----------
Don't forget we have inside info from Sam this week.
----------
if i was fisher i would stack the box and force tony to beat them. rather die fast than slow:)
as an opposing coach seeing romo look rusty i would certainly rather have him go out and prove he can do it than have murray run my defense off the field
------------
Just as a run friendly fan, I want to see Murray move into a role that Emmitt Smith formerly served. Emmitt never was considered a top notched and speedy runner, but was just too good to ignore.

This gives our Offensive Coordinator, Bill Callahan, the opportunity to put opposing defenses flat footed. They may wish to want to box fill, and attempt to stop the run now...but good luck there. This team is building the ability to run against the best of run defenses in the NFL.

But that opens up the entire play book. Keeping linebackers with helmets on swivels, actually give stronger opportunities to screens, flat releases, play-action, and quick hitting tight ends vertically.

Put a little apprehension and indecision in a team's linebackers, and even Tony Romo coming back, has to be smiling a little now.
------------
When Bradford went down I discarded what little concerns I had about the game.

It's a game Dallas should easily win just because of the QB situation they have. A busted Romo is still better than what they're runnin.
------------
I haven't even kept up with them enough to know who their QB is.
------------
Rams fans haven't been able to either.

Bradford is done for the year.

Shaun Hill has been injured so Austin Davis had to play.
-----------
I knew about Bradford. I don't know who Austin Davis is.
------------
We are a "pick your poison" type of offense. They stack the box, Dez will light their *** up. You can't stack the box and put double coverage on the receiver.
------------
I tell ya what. I have the Rams D in FF. I am going shopping tuesday for a new D and a new Kicker. I've got Seattles kicker and that guy only kicks extra points. Boo Hauschka (however you spell it).

Rams D was supposed to be good, but man, they got me (-1) and 12 points. Thats against weak teams. Ouch. They are not as good as they were supposed to be through 2 games. I can tell you that. They give up points and yards by the bushel, never go 3 and out and dont get turnovers. Kinda what I was thinking the Cowboys D was gunna do, what I wouldn't give to be able to pick them up. Who woulda thunk it, me wanting the Dallas D.
----------
There Dline isn't as fearsome with Long gone, their corners are bad still along with the O
------------
If they're smart they'll put 8 or 9 in the box all game and make Romo try to beat them, hopefully they don't
------------
Advice: Starting in place of an injured Doug Martin (knee), Rainey played an every-down role and found consistent running room against a normally-stingy Rams run defense. The Bucs said Martin could have played, but since they're on a short week and playing this upcoming Thursday, they decided to hold him out. Rainey could produce RB1 numbers if Martin doesn't return next week. The Falcons have been shredded on the ground the first two games.

Just inferring that if TB can run this much against the Rams, the territory is fertile for Dallas as well...
------------
I don't care what the Rams do or what our D or O does; if we lose to the Rams and their 3rd string QB, we SUCK! Period.
-----------
During the off season (especially the draft) the experts were saying there D was the best in the league.
-----------
Romo sliced this team up a year ago.
------------
Every year we hear how the Rams have all this talent and this is the year they make noise. And every year they are the exact opposite.
------------
Rams have Robert Quinn who can give any tackle fits with the pass rush and of course have Aaron Donald inside with Brockers. They aren't a great run stopping team but can get after the QB. We should expect them to stack the box on early downs but play a lot of nickle on second down. Gotta beat the early with some play action and then keep running on second and third...expect some draws and screens...and more play action. We need to shut their run down early and make them one dimensional.
-------------
They are basically the same Ram defense we saw last year.
------------
I look for them to stack the box and force Romo to beat them. I think Romo/Dez will have a bigger game than Murray. But, that's to be expected when we're running better than we're passing. You always gameplan to take away what a team does best. And, right now, we run better than we pass. If Romo can start playing at last year's level, then we'll be able to make in game adjustments to attack teams at will and be an unstoppable offense. It all starts with Romo though.
---------
I expect to see a lot of two/three TE sets early if they put nine in the box. That way Witten or Escobar can motion out wide and force serious mismatches.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Prime Time said:
Every year since the 90's we hear how the Cowboys have all this talent and this is the year they make noise. And every year they are the exact opposite.

Fixed that for them.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The Rams as a collective defensive unit are not that impressive. McDonald will hit ya, Jenkins is pretty good, and they got some players on that defensive line. Im not gonna make the mistake of writing them off and say the offense should have their way, but if this team is different than years past I think you get the picture.

lol what?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I may be wrong, But I think, the game plan should be, IF possible, Let our O take the field first, and SCORE! The Cowboys tend to Fall out of their game plan (Running the Ball) and go to the air when they fall behind. (This means less carries for Murray) Let Romo and all the 'Jones Boy's' Try to Win by beating our Pass rush. AINT GOING TO HAPPEN!! The Cowboy's are very predictable the further the fall behind!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
lol what?
The Picture he is referring to is this.......after the Rams WIN!
500px-Crowd_raising_hands.jpg

RamzFanz

Damnit
Let's hope the Rams improve as much for this game as they did between 1 and 2. If so, they should be able to compete especially putting up points. If the team that played Tampa shows up, the DM run is going to be brutal. When he gets up to speed, he's hard to take down. If the O line holds, this could be a breakout for the Rams passing game.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Should be a good game that can go either way. It would be really nice to come out and get an early lead. This team is going to thrive if Romo has to turn to 5-7 step drops to get something done on offense.

That will require a quick start from the offense and the defense will have to contain Murray as well.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
yea but the key is stopping murray. I think its time to start Donald and give him more snaps

If you lock down Dez, Demarco is literally all they have left. If Janoris locks him down, it opens the door to stack the box.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think anyone is locking down Dez and Witten. I think the key is getting Romo rattled and force him to make stupid common mistakes. We might have to let Murray get his chunks of yardage in an effort to completely take away the passing game and force turnovers.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
If you lock down Dez, Demarco is literally all they have left.

I don't think so.

Terrance Williams had a very solid rookie season and is a threat to take the top off a defense and Jason Witten is always near the top in reception yardage for TEs.

They're solid all around offensively. Luckily their defense should allow us to hang around.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I don't think so.

Terrance Williams had a very solid rookie season and Jason Witten is always near the top in reception yardage for TEs.

They're solid all around offensively. Luckily their defense should allow us to hang around.

Yea, I shouldn't have spoken in an absolute like that. But Dez and Demarco are their biggest threats. I'm not worried about Terrance Williams, but Witten could prove to be a problem. I do think we played him pretty well last year, though.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
The thing that helps the Rams defend TEs is their ability to force teams to keep their best TE weapons in to block, and if they can't do that, on the sidelines.

Unfortunately the Cowboys offensive line is one of the few that may not need as much help from a blocking TE.

I think Witten had a pretty solid game against us last year. Not spectacular, as he doesn't often have those games anymore, but still solid.

It's a great chance for the run D and pass rush to step it up, so far I've been disappointed in the Williams coached D, but this is still the same personnel more or less that gave up 2.87 yards per attempt over the last 7 games of last season, I see no reason we shouldn't be able to return to that.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I guess I don't get the disappointment. We're near the middle of the pack in team defense after two games in a new defensive scheme. Had the offense carried their weight in week one we'd be even better.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Murry is a beast.
Bryant is maturing as a man and a player.
Lock these two guys up and we have a chance

I'd rather take my chances having them beat us through Witten and Williams.