What Am I Missing? (Predictions for 2018)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm always cautiously optimistic. The reason I am this season is that our team has changed a lot. Yes we have added potentially great pieces to the team, but chemistery is a real thing and there is no way of saying how it will happen.

My second reason for concern is that while I believe McVay to be a really good coach, but he was helped by the fact no one really knew what to expect last year. This year we are on everyone's list and his strategy will be intensively scrutinized. Maybe he adapts well, maybe he keeps everyone surprised by pulling new tricks out of his hat, or maybe he doesn't, and copying Zimmers or Peterson's strategies against us last year pays off for our opponents.

Last thing is that every year we see serious contenders, sometimes favorites disappoint, look at these SB predictions from a year ago : http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...dictions-patriots-raiders-steelers-head-picks
None of them had Eagles, or Vikings, or Jaguars, 3 of the 4 conference finals teams. Many were high on the Raiders who seemed poised for an awesome run. The NFL is just hard to predict.
But the reverse is true, isn't it? McVay and Phillips are watching tape and tendencies of the other teams, as well. Reports are that McVay is changing much of what we saw last season. In game 3 of preseason, the defense was outstanding in the limited play, and that was without Donald. We will soon see..

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
You know, it's been different on NFLN lately. They consider Goff to be the product of McVay, but say he is living up to his draft status. But they rarely if ever say that we can beat the Saints, Vikings, Packers, and the Eagles. They also over value the 49ers and the Hawks (still) and think we will split with them. That's probably where they get 9-7 to 11-5 range

Having a winning season is not an easy thing, it's much easier to lose a game than win it IMHO. But when you look at the WAY we won games last year - scoring points on O and stopping points on D, that's what makes me excited about this season.

Coupled with the fact that we've upgraded MANY positions Cooks, Peters, Talib, Suh - we have Donald back in the fold for game 1 and we've got Greg the Leg fit and healthy things are looking good :)

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
But the reverse is true, isn't it? McVay and Phillips are watching tape and tendencies of the other teams, as well. Reports are that McVay is changing much of what we saw last season. In game 3 of preseason, the defense was outstanding in the limited play, and that was without Donald. We will soon see..

I've read some snippets somewhere that says the playbook is different from McVay this year

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The reality is, what we did is unprecedented. No team has ever had a net gain of 3 all pro caliber players to a single unit in one offseason.

So naturally the media compares us to other teams that cobbled together talent in free agency.

Not only has no team ever added three to one unit - but we already had the reigning offensive and defensive players of the year.

Couple that with the fact that we were good enough to be a 14-2 team last year (dropped TD vs. Seattle to win; fluke sack fumble against the Eagles and rested starters vs. the Niners) and this could be the best team of all time.

The argument against that is that we were very lucky with injuries last year - so that brings us down a bit.

Now on top of that, not playing in preseason has me thinking we might start slow.

But all in all I agree - the media has no clue how to gauge this team and it's because there's never been a team quite like this before. The last one I can kind of think of as similar is when the Patriots got Randy Moss - similar in that you added a missing element to an already great team.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The reality is, what we did is unprecedented. No team has ever had a net gain of 3 all pro caliber players to a single unit in one offseason.

So naturally the media compares us to other teams that cobbled together talent in free agency.

Not only has no team ever added three to one unit - but we already had the reigning offensive and defensive players of the year.

Couple that with the fact that we were good enough to be a 14-2 team last year (dropped TD vs. Seattle to win; fluke sack fumble against the Eagles and rested starters vs. the Niners) and this could be the best team of all time.

The argument against that is that we were very lucky with injuries last year - so that brings us down a bit.

Now on top of that, not playing in preseason has me thinking we might start slow.

But all in all I agree - the media has no clue how to gauge this team and it's because there's never been a team quite like this before. The last one I can kind of think of as similar is when the Patriots got Randy Moss - similar in that you added a missing element to an already great team.
The not playing in pre-season is a worry that I also share.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You know, it's been different on NFLN lately. They consider Goff to be the product of McVay, but say he is living up to his draft status. But they rarely if ever say that we can beat the Saints, Vikings, Packers, and the Eagles. They also over value the 49ers and the Hawks (still) and think we will split with them. That's probably where they get 9-7 to 11-5 range

The NFL View was allover the Rams in the early spring. I think they were overdoing it with the hype and the NFL told them to pump the breaks. The league doesn't want it to look like the Rams were gifted a Superbowl. Generating Buzz to fill the upcoming new stadium is important to them though. Developing a fan base in L.A. and as far as that influence can reach is very important to the league. It's all about the money. Davis and Spanos are too cheap and not strong enough businessmen to trust with draining all the possible money from California, Mexico and the surrounding region. But Kroenke is, just like they felt Kraft was. They want to kick this thing off right. I'm predicting two consecutive Superbowl titles in the next two years, laden with opposing fans accusing us of gifted calls by the Referees. Maybe three consecutive championships.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The not playing in pre-season is a worry that I also share.
Answering you and FrantikRam....Or, you can think the Highest scoring offense in 2017, practiced all off season against a Top 3 Defense in 2018. Again, the defense is MUCH better with the 2017 DPOY at 3 Technique....

Iron sharpens iron, and all that...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Answering you and FrantikRam....Or, you can think the Highest scoring offense in 2017, practiced all off season against a Top 3 Defense in 2018. Again, the defense is MUCH better with the 2017 DPOY at 3 Technique....

Iron sharpens iron, and all that...

You may be correct here. I just hope all 4 phases of the Rams are game ready from the get go.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Okay, now the GMFB is picking their playoff teams. Nate and Shrager had the Rams. Brandt picked the Niners with the Rams out of the playoffs.

Then Kay said that the NFC West is Ernie meenie miney mo. Any one of the teams in that division could win it! She took Arizona.

This is proof that these people don’t know anything about the rosters. I know anything can happen, but if you make a preseason educated guess and look at all the NFC West rosters, how do you not pick the Rams? How does anyone think Seattle has a chance in hell, or Arizona? ( they said because of David Johnson) 1 man team?

Why did I tune in? I only watch during the regular season for a reason.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay, now the GMFB is picking their playoff teams. Nate and Shrager had the Rams. Brandt picked the Niners with the Rams out of the playoffs.

Then Kay said that the NFC West is Ernie meenie miney mo. Any one of the teams in that division could win it! She took Arizona.

This is proof that these people don’t know anything about the rosters. I know anything can happen, but if you make a preseason educated guess and look at all the NFC West rosters, how do you not pick the Rams? How does anyone think Seattle has a chance in hell, or Arizona? ( they said because of David Johnson) 1 man team?

Why did I tune in? I only watch during the regular season for a reason.
I blasted both Kay and Kyle for their stupidity...Kay "hearted" my post, lol...I think they are trolling us.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will be completely honest here

I am a bit nervous about the high expectations of the team going in to this season. I remember the expectations after Bradfords rookie year only to watch the Rams go 2-14 the next year. Now I realize there is a whole new coaching staff in place and all the other malarkey, but that doesnt stop me from being cautiously optimistic about the 2018-19 season

Yeah... kinda how I feel. And, after all the years of the "experts" thinking we had turned a corner (many of the Fisher years), only to get let down... I can see some how some might be trepidatious.

The loss of Olsen and LaFluer are also unknowns. Those were two veterans of the NFL offensive coaching ranks.

The new guys? Not sure about Fitch. I have faith in Kromer... I think he'll be fine. Not as sure about Waldron, but he is a McVay disciple, so I guess I just have to trust that McVay knows what he can do.

I dunno... it's probably more about being screwed for so many years that the "experts" are treading a little lightly.

Like I said, I still have a tinge of worry... I'll feel much better when they annihilate Little Chucky and show the world he's out of touch with the current NFL.

My brain says... "no way they don't plow through the NFL"... but my heart will still be racing Monday night.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I will be completely honest here

I am a bit nervous about the high expectations of the team going in to this season. I remember the expectations after Bradfords rookie year only to watch the Rams go 2-14 the next year. Now I realize there is a whole new coaching staff in place and all the other malarkey, but that doesnt stop me from being cautiously optimistic about the 2018-19 season
That is a perfectly normal symptom of recovery from BaRFS - Battered Rams Fan Syndrome

The Ramowl

Starter

Sure, but that is not new. My point is that we are now on everyone's radar, everyone had a whole year to deal with that novelty and I expect opposing teams to be better prepared to face McPhillips.

Then again they are both great

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I got yer Analytics right here...

Cooks>his predecessor
Suh>his predecessor
Peters>his predecessor
Talib>his predecessor

As to the LB’s? The new kids are better fits for Wade’s D than their predecessors.

Now, stir in the year of experience plus the new wrinkles that McVay has reportedly added...

We have a combustible mixture here.

That will conclude today’s lesson on Analytics. Lol.

The End

ausmurp

Starter

Disrespect of Goff.

Plus "Personalities".

This. People touting Eagles dream team 2.0 upset. Total bull, the personalities we signed are all good to elite at their position and dominate 1on1. No way that happens. I think we dominate.

BUT.. I don't like week 1 matchup vs anyone bc none of our starters on O have played a single down yet this yr. That part scares me as it has never ever happened before. The D looked good but still it takes a few games for units to sync up.. I am worried abt the first few games.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I blasted both Kay and Kyle for their stupidity...Kay "hearted" my post, lol...I think they are trolling us.

Yeah probably. Anything to get views. They were either told to pick random teams or they really are dumb.

Anyone that can’t see that Seattle is on the downside, is too dumb for tv. Then again guys like Whitlock, LaConfora and Steven A Smith are on so I guess tv isn’t looking for accuracy.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They were either told to pick random teams

This is very common on those shows. They want conflict and controversy, so the tv personalities are often told which side to take, so there are disagreements. If everybody took the Rams, it would be dull.

Raptorman

Pro Bowler
Name
David
No, I'm not offering my own predictions for the entire NFL. Aside from by rock solid, unbiased, prediction of 14-2, and Super bowl win :)whistle:)..

I'm astounded by the low balling of the team by "experts" More than one had us barely winning the division at 10-6 or 11-5, and losing in the Wild Card round, once again. I look at our loaded roster and think that we are unstoppable. We have an improved version of the highest scoring offense in 2017. Our defense is insanely good on paper, and those 7 plays in 3rd preseason game without Aaron Donald, vs the Texans, looked unstoppable...Why is our team underrated, when it seems to me we should be the favorites to win everything?
You need to not worry what the talking heads say. They are like weather men. They make predictions, they have very little to back it up, and are always 50% wrong.

Let me give you an example.. Most of the "experts" are panning my Vikings because they don't think Cousins and the WR's have their "timing" down. Just think about that for a minute. 2016. Teddy Bridgewater goes down a week before the start of the season and they bring in Bradford. 2 weeks later he's starting. What does he do? Only the highest completion percentage of the year for QB's. Timing apparently wasn't an issue. 2017. Bradford is going to start. He plays one game and goes down. Keenum comes in. What does he do? 2nd highest completion percentage for QB in 17. Timing wasn't an issue. But this year, with Cousins having the full camp to get on board, timing is suddenly an issue.

They don't have a freaking clue. Their predictions are about as useful as "Power Rankings" And if you believe in those I have a Bull with Teats for you. Very useful. :)