What About RPOs For Goff and Rams Offense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Let's just call them pre and post snap RPO's so everyone can move on. I love how the Rams and Goff ran pre snap RPO's last season, but I do worry about him taking shots in a more post snap RPO offense. Not to say there isn't a place for it. I just hope they are able to mind the A gap for those.

Ram65

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's just call them pre and post snap RPO's so everyone can move on. I love how the Rams and Goff ran pre snap RPO's last season, but I do worry about him taking shots in a more post snap RPO offense. Not to say there isn't a place for it. I just hope they are able to mind the A gap for those.

OK.

It's mixed results on the post snap RPOs. Injury concerns to Goff seem to be a leading factor for the no side. It's not always going to be a pass either. It can help Gurley and the running game too. It's not going away. Look for Bears head coach Matt Nagy to bring it over from the Chiefs for Trubisky to use. Surprisingly high percentage for the leaders below. Packers up there to help Hundley. I would like to see the Rams try it out. I

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/13/run-pass-option-bears-offense-matt-nagy/4/
Here's a look at the top RPO offenses in 2017 via Jeff Ratcliffe of Pro Football Focus.
Jeff Ratcliffe

✔@JeffRatcliffe
RPO leaders by percentage of total offensive plays in 2017

Chiefs: 18.1%
Eagles: 18.0%
Packers: 15.1%
Bengals: 11.6%
Jets: 11.0%
Panthers: 10.8%

11:40 AM - Feb 9, 2018

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It would be hilarious if Goff did several RPO's vs Gruden's Raiders and won with it...lol
We will have two opportunities for your Dream to come true, in pre-season and Regular Season. I would not be surprised to see it happen!!:D

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
quarterback guru Trent Dilfer
Um...mokay....o_O
told me that these plays had about a 90 percent completion rate league-wide when the quarterback opted to pass.

I know what a RPO is. We used it last year. Here's an example (at 40 seconds):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nBTFOVb_w4#t=00m40s

That's an example of us using a RPO from under center. It's a designed run, but if Goff likes what he sees in terms of the defensive alignment, he can choose to throw a quick slant to Watkins instead of handing the ball off.

In the context of the OP, that is not the type of RPO to which Gruden and Goff were referring. It was pretty clear that the decision was not a pre-snap RPO but a post snap RPO where Goff would read what the LB did POST snap. If he was playing pass and backing off, Goff handed the ball off. If the LB stayed in the box, he pulled it out of the RBs stomach and threw the ball.

What you and in this case McVay are referring to is a pre-snap read. Goff saw man coverage on Kupp and Watkins and new the call was pass based on the fact that there was no way the defender could cover the trailer in one yard. That was not based on what the defense did but how they were lined up.

I don't see any proof of the RPOs by Romo or Goff. I'm going with the definitions quoted which both state that the RPO is adjusted after the snap not before it. Romo or Goff did not have the option to hand the ball off during the play. It's obvious to me that pre-snap decision to throw were made in both cases.
Exactly. There are different versions of RPOs but the one Gruden and Goff were talking about being run at Cal was after Goff saw what the defense actually did post snap - not how they were lined up pre-snap. I thought Goff made that very clear.

I don't think we are going to see Goff running many RPOs like Wentz, Craperdink, and Newton run. In that case it is more of a QB option where the QB can keep it or option it off or even pass it. That is a much slower developing play and relies on a QB that will run the ball more than Goff will ever be used in that role. We will no doubt use that type of RPO but it will be extremely limited to likely once every two or three games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Um...mokay....o_O

In the context of the OP, that is not the type of RPO to which Gruden and Goff were referring. It was pretty clear that the decision was not a pre-snap RPO but a post snap RPO where Goff would read what the LB did POST snap. If he was playing pass and backing off, Goff handed the ball off. If the LB stayed in the box, he pulled it out of the RBs stomach and threw the ball.

What you and in this case McVay are referring to is a pre-snap read. Goff saw man coverage on Kupp and Watkins and new the call was pass based on the fact that there was no way the defender could cover the trailer in one yard. That was not based on what the defense did but how they were lined up.

Exactly. There are different versions of RPOs but the one Gruden and Goff were talking about being run at Cal was after Goff saw what the defense actually did post snap - not how they were lined up pre-snap. I thought Goff made that very clear.

I don't think we are going to see Goff running many RPOs like Wentz, Craperdink, and Newton run. In that case it is more of a QB option where the QB can keep it or option it off or even pass it. That is a much slower developing play and relies on a QB that will run the ball more than Goff will ever be used in that role. We will no doubt use that type of RPO but it will be extremely limited to likely once every two or three games.

I recall us using the post-snap RPOs as well at times. My point was that we already use RPOs in this offense, and I prefer the pre-snap RPOs to the post-snap ones for Goff. They better fit his skill-set.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Question, how do RPOs work? Like how do you prevent penalties on linemen being ineligible receivers? Do they just pass block regardless?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Question, how do RPOs work? Like how do you prevent penalties on linemen being ineligible receivers? Do they just pass block regardless?
Just going by what they were saying in the QB camp video, the ball is out of the QBs hand in about one second. The linemen run block but wouldn’t have much time to get down field unless the QB hands the ball off.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I recall us using the post-snap RPOs as well at times. My point was that we already use RPOs in this offense, and I prefer the pre-snap RPOs to the post-snap ones for Goff. They better fit his skill-set.
I honestly can’t say that I watched for it. I will this season. I don’t really agree that the pre-snap fit Goff’s skill set more. He is known for that super quick release and was known for having a fast processor at Cal.

I’m not advocating for using a post snap RPO for your bread and butter but with the receivers we have now and Todd Gurley or even TA in the backfield, I could see some huge play potential if the LB backs off into pass coverage.

A pre-snap RPO is nothing new or innovative. Manning used it his entire career.

Ram65

Legend
I would have imagined the Texans would be higher.....Seahawks too....wonder what makes an OC use this? QB...RB....or....what?

Click the Bears link in the above post with the numbers on RPOs.

All 4 pages are good. The last two show the Chiefs and Hunt getting a big hole to run through as LBer looking pass I think...

In my readings could be there or OP article...It's easy yards for the QB especially young QBs . IIRC they show an easy short out route for the QB to hit and the WR takes it up the sideline for a nice gain.

Ram65

Legend
I honestly can’t say that I watched for it. I will this season. I don’t really agree that the pre-snap fit Goff’s skill set more. He is known for that super quick release and was known for having a fast processor at Cal.

I’m not advocating for using a post snap RPO for your bread and butter but with the receivers we have now and Todd Gurley or even TA in the backfield, I could see some huge play potential if the LB backs off into pass coverage.

The Bears link shows some nice plays and a big run.

If the Rams run 65 plays and they go 10% RPO that is 6-7 plays a game. Gives defenses something else to think about.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Pre-snap is more flexible. And Manning wasn't using RPOs. He was calling plays at the LOS.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Pre-snap is more flexible. And Manning wasn't using RPOs. He was calling plays at the LOS.
So he was never deciding between run and pass. Got it. Come on man. The RPO by your definition has been around for years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So he was never deciding between run and pass. Got it. Come on man. The RPO by your definition has been around for years.

That's not a RPO. That's play-calling. With a RPO, only the QB knows whether it'll be a run or pass. The HB and OL treat it as a running play. At least one of the WRs runs a passing route. The QB decides at the snap whether to hand it off or throw. Manning was calling plays at the LOS. He was instructing the entire offense on what they would be doing. It's not the same thing.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's not a RPO. That's play-calling. With a RPO, only the QB knows whether it'll be a run or pass. The HB and OL treat it as a running play. At least one of the WRs runs a passing route. The QB decides at the snap whether to hand it off or throw. Manning was calling plays at the LOS. He was instructing the entire offense on what they would be doing. It's not the same thing.
Meh. Gotta say after watching a bunch of film, the RPO was used by Manning and to a larger extent Favre. It was used by Young as well. All this bullshit is just talking heads thinking they have a new scheme to talk about. Watch some tape - which I know you have and do - and you will see sight adjustments both pre-snap and with the QB pulling the ball out of the RBs gut WHILE THE O-LINE IS RUN BLOCKING.

This really is nothing ground breaking. I talked to my boss about it and he was saying they were doing it in NFL Europe when he was coaching and it has been a part of the playbook for years.