Well, our immediate Ram worries are now very few, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What me worry?
7slD.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OL...

LT: Big Whit (36 years old, will be 37 this season in Dec)
LG: Saffold (FA at end of season)
C: Sullivan (33 in Aug, history of back injury, we have him on a two year contract)
RG: Brown (Suspended two games, FA at end of season)
RT: Havenstein (FA at end of season)

I'm thinking they can afford one of the three pending FAs. Probably not Roger Saffold either. And I wouldn't trust Brown, given that suspension, with a big contract on top of the fact that he was our weak link last year. So I would guess they try hard to sign Hav.

But even if they get a deal done with Hav, they're looking at two OG spots needing replacement next offseason plus they would be wise to find their LT of the future. So if this draft class can produce even one starter level player at OG it will help significantly, but we'll have to wait and see and even then they're not out of the woodwork on the OL.

The bottom line is there are plenty of concerns with the OL from now on into next offseason. In the near term they should be trying to get Hav locked up (he may be affordable now vice what he'll want if he has a good season which I expect to happen). They also need to find a starter at RG in this camp from among their new additions. And then of course they need to cross their fingers and hope that Big Whit and Sully can stay healthy.
I’m thinking the LT of the future was just drafted as was Sullivan’s successor. RG of the future will start the first two weeks and might not give up the spot when Brown comes back. LG of the future possibly Demby? Resign Hav like you suggested and the line isn’t that bad. Five young starters lined up with Noteboom, Demby, Allen, Neary/Blythe and Havenstein or possibly a 2019 draft pick. It all comes back again to there’s a reason we drafted 3 OLine this year. McSnead are working on winning now and in following years.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I’m thinking the LT of the future was just drafted as was Sullivan’s successor. RG of the future will start the first two weeks and might not give up the spot when Brown comes back. LG of the future possibly Demby? Resign Hav like you suggested and the line isn’t that bad. Five young starters lined up with Noteboom, Demby, Allen, Neary/Blythe and Havenstein or possibly a 2019 draft pick. It all comes back again to there’s a reason we drafted 3 OLine this year. McSnead are working on winning now and in following years.

I'm gonna' go all optimistic as well, with the added hope that Roger resigns. Hell, he may love LA, and's probably playing only 3-4 more years, so maybe (pollyanna time), there IS such a thing as a hometown discount. And Rams are drafting Oline heavy next year, imo.

Definitely a good feeling when your major area of concern is one of your strongest units last (and looks to be this) year.

I keep pinching myself - it was less than two years ago we were all watching Goff lose his first seven in the dysfunction that was Fisher's last hurrah. And I liked, (and still do) the guy, but some things are just not meant to be. He did leave Sean some really good pieces.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
About our OL...

This ‘18 season looks good for us, I think.

But next year?

Noteboom may or nay not be our starting LOT. Whit might still have it, although I don’t think we should count on it. But this next draft class is reportedly loaded with LOT candidates, so maybe that’s the failsafe position?

I doubt that Saffold will be affordable based on what we’ve seen in recent FA. Kromer’s gonna have to have a Plan B for LG in ‘19, I’m afraid.

Personally, I like both JB and Hav. Not love, mind you, but a strong like. And I also like as much OL continuity as possible, so I’m hoping that we can keep one.

I suspect that Sully can start again in ‘19, but we’ll have to wait and see. Allen, at this point, appears to be a promising potential replacement.

Many posters are pretty high on Demby as a potential future OG starter. I hope so, but must say that I’m in wait-and-see mode until evidence on the field rolls in.

Speaking of which, there is every reason to rest Whit, Saffold, and Sully during camp and preseason games while the other OL players get all the snaps they can get. I’m sure that this will happen.so the candidates will have ample opportunity to impress their coaches.

In short, I’m pretty optimistic about our ‘18 OL, but I expect some new faces as starters in ‘19. Perhaps as many as 3, or maybe even 4 depending on Whit’s health and the Rams ability to extend one of Hav or JB.

I’m betting that we draft at least 2 OL players next year and fairly high, at that. Using our 1st on a LOT would seem likely, based on current information.