CAMP REPORT Wed Aug-15 Camp Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LA Rams August Schedule.JPG

https://www.therams.com/news/brandin-cooks-offers-key-experience

Brandin Cooks Offers Key Experience

Wide receiver Brandin Cooks has not played football on the West Coast since his college football days as an Oregon State Beaver.

While California and Los Angeles may offer bit of a change in lifestyle and climate than his two previous NFL stops, Cooks, selected as the 20th overall pick in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, has accumulated a wealth of experiences that might make his football transition a bit easier.

Drafted by the Saints in 2014, Cooks spent three seasons in New Orleans. In his rookie season, Cooks averaged 10.5 yards per reception, on 550 yards receiving, with three touchdowns. Following his rookie season in The Big Easy, Cooks has recorded three consecutive seasons north of 1,000 yards receiving.

Cooks’ consistent production has proven valuable to both the Saints and Patriots. In 2017, Cooks was traded for New England’s first and third-round picks entering what would be the Patriots’ run at Super Bowl LII.

In 2017, Cooks finished his fourth season in the league with seven touchdowns and one AFC Championship title, playing alongside future Hall of Fame quarterback Tom Brady.

After logging his first three career playoff games, Cooks was again included in a trade for a first-round pick, but this time to Hollywood.

Since his opening press conference as a Ram, Cooks seems to fit perfectly into head coach Sean McVay’s “We Not Me” system. One month ago, after signing a five-year contract extension before entering training camp, Cooks talked about his L.A. move.

“It was very easy to come in with my personality and make that fit, and to show others as well that it’s not about me, it’s about the team,” Cooks said.

Cooks is just one of the handful of noteworthy additions in L.A. this offseason. General manager Les Snead and McVay brought in a wealth of experienced and talented players in defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and corners Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters.

The Rams’ big-name additions move to Los Angeles with truckloads of accolades, including All-Pro selections, Rookie of the Year awards, Super Bowl Championship rings, and more. Cooks however, has experience to offer — and not just any experience.

For the first four years of his career, Cooks has caught passes from two future Hall of Famers in Brady and Drew Brees, and played under Bill Belichick in New England and Asshole Face in New Orleans.

It is yet to be seen how Cooks will fair under McVay in his second season as an NFL head coach. But according to Cooks, playing under McVay and with quarterback Jared Goff might not be that far off from the head coach/quarterback tandems he is used to.

When asked if there are any similarities between McVay and Goff and his former co-workers, Cooks said “absolutely.”

“Their communication is at a high level,” Cooks said. “They see things and they talk about things and fix them out here. I think you got to have that, and they’ve been showing that type of ability day in and day out of camp.”

The iconic Belichick-Brady duo, and offensively dominant combination of Drew Brees’ arm and Payton’s play calling are not the only NFL experiences that have primed Cooks for 2018 in L.A.

“Last time I checked, I’ve played for two offenses that did the same thing and I was just fine. I’m happy about my role,” Cooks said.

Having played alongside weapons like tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham, receivers Danny Amendola and Michael Thomas, and running back Mark Ingram means Cooks is no stranger to lining up with impressive playmakers on offense.

Meeting with media in the “dog days” of his fifth career training camp, questions flew regarding Cooks’ unique early NFL career. While many reporters looked back, Cooks looked forward — possibly providing the best recap of the Rams’ 2018 offseason to date.

“The more weapons you have, the better off as a team you’re going to be, and that’s, at the end of the day, what we are looking for.”

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I remember being excited about Watkins. But man, Cooks is special. He’s not just a fly route guy. We have the perfect compliment of WRs right now. Goff is going to have some gaudy numbers this year.

fearsomefour

Legend
I remember being excited about Watkins. But man, Cooks is special. He’s not just a fly route guy. We have the perfect compliment of WRs right now. Goff is going to have some gaudy numbers this year.
Hope you're right.
Kept Goff in my keeper league over others.
Watkins continues to turn $100 worth of talent into $50 worth of production.
Will be interesting to see what he in KC in what should be an explosive offense.
After trading for Watkins and Rams then traded for Cooks.
Some might complain about "giving away" draft picks but the bigger take away is the this.....under this current Admin the team knows what it wants and is willing do what it takes to get it.
Looking for big things from Cooks and the O this year.
Now, with Cooks and Woods ability to take to top off the D and Gurleys ability to run or catch it really puts pressure on a D. Kupp and Woods (and maybe Cooks) can excel in the midrange game as well. Now, if we can have a TE or two develop into a solid pass catching threat....truely able to take advantage of play action in running sets....those TE can be first down machines in the passing games.
It would be a case of the D having to pick their poison.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Some might complain about "giving away" draft picks but the bigger take away is the this.....under this current Admin the team knows what it wants and is willing do what it takes to get it.
Now this may just be me, but I thought the purpose of having draft picks was for the purpose of trying to acquire talented players that would have something of value to offer to a team. And the last I checked that is exactly what the Rams did with those draft picks, so why would anyone complain?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anyone else going? Only today and tomorrow open to public, then its game vs Raiders in Colesium and back to Cal Lutheran and closed practice .

Ram65

Legend
The Donald Deal has gotten me sidetracked about how excited I am about Cooks in the Rams offense.

When asked if there are any similarities between McVay and Goff and his former co-workers, Cooks said “absolutely.”

“Their communication is at a high level,” Cooks said. “They see things and they talk about things and fix them out here. I think you got to have that, and they’ve been showing that type of ability day in and day out of camp.”

The iconic Belichick-Brady duo, and offensively dominant combination of Drew Brees’ arm and Payton’s play calling are not the only NFL experiences that have primed Cooks for 2018 in L.A.

Year two with McVay and Goff they get a bonus of having the speedy Brandin Cooks to go along with big play Todd Gurley, and the dynamic duo of Woods and Kupp. Teams have to pay attention to Cooks simply because with his speed he has beaten double teams in the past. Any one of these playmakers can beat a single cover guy at any time.

Good to read that he likes the way Goff and McVay are communicating. From the early reports it seems that Goff and Cooks will be communicating with pass completion all over the field. I know the Rams don't want to force things to one wide receiver and don't think they have to with Cooks. He can run all the routes and get open. I would like to see them get off to a good start.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I'm excited that it seems likely that other teams will have to use their best CB on Cooks, AND have a safety nearby too. McVay seems to be salivating at the variety of uses Cooks will have, and it will make it very difficult to protect against all the other options.

Imagine 2nd and 3, and teams will have to decide whether to protect against Cooks and the receivers, or to cheat a bit to try to stop Gurley. No good solutions for them.

fearsomefour

Legend
Now this may just be me, but I thought the purpose of having draft picks was for the purpose of trying to acquire talented players that would have something of value to offer to a team. And the last I checked that is exactly what the Rams did with those draft picks, so why would anyone complain?
I agree with you.
But some did.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last time I looked, we were good enough to win the Super Bowl. That is all.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saw a couple of reports that the defense dominated today, Suh in particular. Can't wait to see them with Donald

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anyone else going? Only today and tomorrow open to public, then its game vs Raiders in Colesium and back to Cal Lutheran and closed practice .

I went today . It was a scrimmage like. One vs ones a bunch. It was mixed. The offense did better in the beginning than the end.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Demoff might have got upset with me a bit. Said The Rams need a TE that can catch.
Hemmingway way is dropping to many passes. Higbee dropped a tough catch, but was in his hands.
Demoff is more pigeon toed than myself.Snead was around watching as well.

Marquiss Christian, was the defensive player in the 1st half. Had a nice INT & Tackle on 3rd Dwn.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Talib looks like he is playing hurt with his ankle.Fighting through it. Peters has small hands & jammed his finger trying to make pick he should of made.

Ejuan Price looks like he might make the team.

Fassel has small players in on punt coverage ,which I never noticed before ?

#11 Khadarel Hodges made a couple nice plays.Really stepped up & got some good reps. Practice squad for sure.

Noteboom might start at RG ? He has been jumping offense sides(motion)to many times.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Saw a couple of reports that the defense dominated today, Suh in particular. Can't wait to see them with Donald
As good as the team is as a whole, playing against someone else might seem like a vacation.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Suh was a monster today, batting down passes, busting through the OL.

AD, better get yer ass in here, Suh making no one miss you.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Demoff might have got upset with me a bit. Said The Rams need a TE that can catch.
Hemmingway way is dropping to many passes. Higbee dropped a tough catch, but was in his hands.

I'm sure they know it. The Rams' best chance to get some good and consistent TE play is Everette but with him dinged up things look a little iffy at the position. Higbee's a talent, but that lack of focus christ. And Hemingway is a tease.

Higs might still have a good season and all, but I need to see him actually do it. No more rainbows and unicorns for me with those two dudes and if Everette doesn't show something this year we're going to see the Rams invest in the position.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure they know it. The Rams' best chance to get some good and consistent TE play is Everette but with him dinged up things look a little iffy at the position. Higbee's a talent, but that lack of focus christ. And Hemingway is a tease.

Higs might still have a good season and all, but I need to see him actually do it. No more rainbows and unicorns for me with those two dudes and if Everette doesn't show something this year we're going to see the Rams invest in the position.

Unless all three TEs work out, I would expect someone drafted. Which round depends on how big of a hole the position is. Doubt the first rounder would be used unless somebody special falls. That's likely reserved for an edge rusher, an OL, maybe a DT to replace Suh. I'm hoping they use one of their 3rds on a QB selected by an actual expert. But I could see a 3rd also being used on a TE. We'll see