CAMP REPORT Wed Aug-08 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
66241C09-4EA9-4246-8C88-A487A2204A6A.jpeg

https://www.therams.com/news/10-observations-from-rams-second-joint-practice-with-ravens

10 Observations from Rams Second Joint Practice with Ravens

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — The Rams went through their second joint practice with the Ravens on Tuesday afternoon. Here are 10 observations from the session.

1) The Rams began practice in much the same way they did on Monday, going through stretches and individual drills as a team before joining the Ravens for more team work. The offense once again worked on plays against air in the red zone, while the defense went through their regular positional work.

2) Once the teams came together, defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh stood out in one-on-one drills with the Ravens offensive line. Rushing from left end against the right tackle, Suh dominated his first rep by getting around the Baltimore O-lineman. Then Suh easily shed rookie Orlando Brown Jr.’s hands trying to extend to him on the second rep to get to the quarterback. The second rep was particularly impressive, because it was one motion and Brown’s hands were gone.

3) The younger players had some strong reps against Baltimore’s offensive line as well, with sixth-round pick Trevon Young making his way around the edge to get to the QB. Newcomer Marcus Martin — the NCAA all-time leader in sacks — also used a spin move to get around one of Baltimore’s reserve left tackles and get to the quarterback.

4) The Ravens turned up the music on the field with their offense and the Rams defense, creating communication challenges for both units. With The White Stripes’ “Seven Nation Army” blaring, linebacker Cory Littleton blew up a screen playto a running back in the backfield.

5) Later on defense in 11-on-11, safety Lamarcus Joyner run blitzed and would’ve had a clear tackle for loss in the backfield. Joyner timed the blitz perfectly. If the play was live, Joyner maybe could have tackled Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco before he could’ve handed the ball off to his running back.

6) Cornerback Ramon Richards — an undrafted rookie out of Oklahoma State — flashed a bit both on defense and special teams. During an 11-on-11 period with the reserves, Richards broke up a deep pass on the right sideline. He was close to an interception, but it was a difficult play to make considering where he was in relation to the wide receiver. Then during special teams drills working as a gunner on punt team, Richards beat a Ravens double team to the delight of the Los Angeles sideline.

He’s had a solid training camp so far, and should be someone to keep an eye on during the preseason matchups.

7) Los Angeles recorded two interceptions during one 11-on-11 period. Cornerback Marcus Peters picked one off in the end zone, using his closing speed to make a nice play on the ball during a red-zone period. Then Littleton picked off a running back pass — tipping the ball up in the air and catching it to foil the trick play.

In general, the defense had a strong day with cornerback Aqib Talib and safety John Johnson also making interceptions on the first unit. (Full disclosure: I didn’t quite "observe" either of those interceptions because at that point I was watching the field with the Rams offense and Ravens defense.)

8) Kicker Greg Zuerlein was perfect on his five field-goal attempts on Tuesday. His longest kick came from 50-yards out.

9) Late in practice, running back — and Baltimore native — Todd Gurley made a couple impact plays on receptions out of the backfield. The first was a screen pass that would have gone for long yardage. Left guard Rodger Saffold was lead blocking for Gurley on the play, as he did for so many of Gurley’s screen plays in 2017. The Georgia product also caught a swing pass that would have gone for significant yardage on the right side.

10) Quarterback Jared Goff also connected with wide receiver Mike Thomas on a deep crossing route to the right side. Goff hit Thomas in stride, putting a nice end to one of the offense’s 11-on-11 segments.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.therams.com/news/quotes-notes-8-7-18-mcvay-pleased-with-practice-talib-to-try-crab

Quotes & Notes 8/7/18: McVay Pleased with Practice, Talib to try Crab
  • The Rams’ offseason additions have largely made their presence felt in training camp, despite many of them being on defense, unable to make very physical plays.
  • Things seem to be coming together recently, with wide receiver Brandin Cooks connecting with Goff more frequently and defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh shoving his way to the quarterback regularly.
  • It is unlikely that quarterback Jared Goff plays many — if any — snaps on Thursday night in Baltimore.
  • That being said, McVay commented on L.A.’s backup quarterback situation, led by strong-armed Oregon State product Sean Mannion.
  • Mannion missed a few days of training camp last week awaiting the birth of his daughter, but McVay has been overall pleased with Mannion’s progress.
  • Talib was pleased with the Rams’ defense following Tuesday’s practice in Baltimore. He said the defense was forced to communicate and make adjustments on the fly in unscripted periods, in which the Ravens’ offense mixed in new looks and played with the tempo.
  • Talib had one of a handful of Rams interceptions on Tuesday afternoon. Cornerback Marcus Peters, safety John Johnson and linebacker Cory Littleton also had interceptions on the first unit during Tuesday’s practice.
  • Talib and fellow corner and first-year Ram Marcus Peters have been well-documented doing just about everything together since camp started in Irvine about two weeks ago.
  • As one of the most vocal position groups in practice, it is not uncommon to hear either Talib or Peters breaking down defensive backs’ play or dishing out pointers.
  • The duo is expected to create headaches for offenses across the league this season as two of the leaders in L.A.’s deep secondary.
  • Following Tuesday’s practice Talib confirmed he has never tried Baltimore crab, but plans to give it a whirl with Peters.
  • Gurley and the Rams have a joint walk-thru on Wednesday and then Thursday night’s matchup with the Ravens before returning to the less-humid Irvine.
  • The Rams are set to practice five more times in camp before preseason Week 2 against the Raiders.
  • As a Baltimore native, Gurley grew up an Orioles fan.
  • Following practice, Gurley talked about former Oriole All-Star Manny Machado’s recent move to L.A.
  • Machado is batting .279 with two home runs since joining the Dodgers.
  • Gurley, who is also unlikely to see much action on Thursday night, said he would rather play in the game because the alternative is a tough conditioning workout.
“The guys that we’ve added have been really smart conscientious football players. Been really pleased with what they’ve brought to our team and we are looking forward to it showing up when these games start counting eventually.”-HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

“With Sean [Mannion], you know, he got a lot of good work last year. Thought it was a really good opportunity for us to evaluate him in the system and it’s going to be a lot of the same ... I think he’s taken a lot of steps in the right direction. [Quarterbacks] Brandon [Allen] and Luis [Perez] have done a nice job, but you can really see Sean has played well this offseason — extremely conscientious, he’s got a grasp of what we are trying to do offensively, and we’ve been really pleased with him.” -HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

“It [Tuesday’s practice] was like quiz for us — not really a test, it wasn’t a game. It was like a quiz for us and I think we did a hell of a job.”-CB AQIB TALIB

“We good, that’s my homie — we good. It’s been real cool. He [corner Marcus Peters] is learning the defense, I know the defense, but at the same time we are both helping each other just through seeing the game in a certain way — so we’re real good.”-CB AQIB TALIB

“I think me and M.P. [Marcus Peters] will probably go and try the crab cakes and get some real Baltimore food.”-CB AQIB TALIB

“Definitely ready to go, but like I said, we’re out here — get some good work. It’s good to go against some other people and come out here and compete. The heat is different for sure, so you get to train in some different heat, but just come out here, get some work done and see how the preseason game goes and just get back to Cali and get back to it again.”-RB TODD GURLEY

“It was exciting for me. All we need is [Orioles’ center fielder] Adam Jones to come over and it will be fine with me. I’ve always been a big fan of [Dodgers’ third baseman] Manny [Machado] and I’m glad that New York didn’t get him — he’s over there with the Dodgers and I’m excited to see what he does in L.A.”

“I’d probably rather do the preseason honestly because they try to make you do like 12 100’s instead — which is crazy — so sometimes it’s better to just play in the game honestly.”-RB TODD GURLEY

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I remember right they aren't having a joint practice today just walk through or two and meetings. Taking a physical day off ahead of preseason game #1 tomorrow.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I like what I'm hearing about the connection Talib and Peters have made, but i really had hoped they formed that bond with our younger guys like Hill and Peterson as well. When we grabbed Talib and Peters I thought they would be perfect mentors to them, bc imo, Hill and Peterson have proven they can be our future at CB, with us retaining Peters as our #1. Seems like Hills and Petersons production in camp as been just as good, so hopefully they are still learning things from Talib and Peters.

Love what im hearing about Thomas as well. I was stoked on that pick and hopefully we get to see him in action in the deep pass role this year.

Psycho_X

Legend
Man every practice report makes me anxious and ready for the season to start more and more. Suh is going to have his best year as a pro I think. He knows he's always going to have more time every snap with the secondary we have. I expect to see a relentless motivation for him to get the QB this year. He has never played with this much talent around him.... especially deep behind him. This is going to be something special... and that's without Donald or even considering the great Johnny Hekker's deep punts inside the 20 almost every time. Chills... I have chills!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
2) Once the teams came together, defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh stood out in one-on-one drills with the Ravens offensive line. Rushing from left end against the right tackle, Suh dominated his first rep by getting around the Baltimore O-lineman. Then Suh easily shed rookie Orlando Brown Jr.’s hands trying to extend to him on the second rep to get to the quarterback. The second rep was particularly impressive, because it was one motion and Brown’s hands were gone.

Suh at 5T is interesting. The dude is good enough to play anywhere tbh, but it's good to know that we have some starting level depth there behind Brock on the strong side. Hopefully the NT depth will show well in the preseason games and if so I'll have zero complaints with the depth of the DL group overall.

6) Cornerback Ramon Richards — an undrafted rookie out of Oklahoma State — flashed a bit both on defense and special teams. During an 11-on-11 period with the reserves, Richards broke up a deep pass on the right sideline. He was close to an interception, but it was a difficult play to make considering where he was in relation to the wide receiver. Then during special teams drills working as a gunner on punt team, Richards beat a Ravens double team to the delight of the Los Angeles sideline.

How big are this kid's balls in signing with this roster as an undrafted CB? I mean damn. :eek:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...off-healthy-a-priority-as-rams-lack-qb-depth/

2018 NFL Training Camps: Keeping Jared Goff healthy a priority for Rams, who lack QB depth
Despite all the talent L.A. has collected its backup QBs are a big unknown, and more observations from Ravens/Rams camp

OWINGS MILLS, Md. – A year ago at this time, entering their preseason opener, the chore for Rams then-rookie head coach Sean McVay was pretty simple: Get Jared Goff as many reps as humanly possible to immerse him in this offense, rebuild his confidence and make him forget about his shaky rookie season.

Now, well, the situation is quite different.

Goff had a strong 2017 season – just the latest young quarterback to blossom under McVay's tutelage and play calling – and he appears at ease in this offense as the Rams have suddenly gone from playoff afterthoughts to potential Super Bowl hopefuls with a reloaded roster and heavy expectations. And it just so happens that one of the few roster spots not teaming with experience and depth is at backup quarterback, where the assembled group of three passers behind Goff have combined for 50 career NFL attempts, one start, and zero touchdowns. It's not exactly teaming with options should Goff miss a few games, and McVay is now charged with protecting Goff through the preseason – where he undoubtedly will end up playing less than last summer – and cultivating something from the group of backups (Sean Mannion, Brandon Allenand Luis Perez) in case of emergency.

McVay and his staff are going over that mental calculus this week, with their joint practices with Baltimore over at the Ravens' practice facility and the preseason opener at M&T Bank Stadium looming Thursday night. With Goff now established in this offense, the days of him taking expanded reps with the second-string offensive line are probably over, while Mannion (a fourth-year pro who has accounted for all 50 of those NFL pass attempts I mentioned) is now an injury away from trying to prop up a team with Super Bowl aspirations

"The thing that is tricky, especially with some of the starters is," McVay told me, "when you are talking about a guy like (left tackle) Andrew Whitworth, who is going into year 13, now if you don't play him then how comfortable do you feel with putting Jared out there? So it's a lot of layers to it, to where when you want to rest somebody else then it affects how you operate …

"I'm really having a tough time – and we've talked about this as a staff – at how do you balance the dynamic between getting those preseason reps, and then, what the risk that potential could come from if something happens. And you can't do that – you can't be scared – but you also want to be smart and mindful of, those couple snaps, does it make a difference in how sharp he can be and can you try to mimic and emulate those game-like situations and limit the risk? And those are things that, I'll be honest, I struggle with and continue to learn. And as you get more experience you maybe have a more clear-cut philosophy."

Bottom line, I don't think we'll see much of Goff this summer. The Rams starters as a whole will likely be rested for this preseason opener, and Mannion – who threw for 185 yards and no touchdowns or interceptions in his lone NFL start (a loss to San Francisco last season) – will have a chance to gain some confidence this time around. For a team that collected this much talent, I continue to wonder if the Rams might be prompted to acquire a more experienced and proven No. 2 quarterback at some point based on how the preseason goes (one team official didn't exactly rule out that possibility, noting how in the past the backup job here has been manned by guys like Nick Foles and Case Keenum, who went on to great starting success elsewhere).

"I think he's really taken a lot of steps in the right direction," McVay said of Mannion.

Desperately wish you had a 30-minutes-or-so, daily NFL podcast in your podcast app every morning by 6 a.m.? Put some Pick Six Podcast in your life and join Will Brinson as he breaks down the latest news and notes from around the league, as well as the win totals on a team-by-team schedule. It's a daily dose of football to get you right for that commute or gym trip. Subscribe:via iTunes | via Stitcher | via TuneIn | via Google Play

Rams/Ravens observations
  • I cautioned against the anti-Orlando Brown, Jr. tide during the pre-draft season, when much was made of his poor combine results. He was still going to be a Day Two pick and he has done a nice job grabbing an early hold on Baltimore's starting right tackle spot. Even with All Pro guard Marshal Yanda back off the PUP list, and a possible reshuffle in order at some point, Brown has given the coaches plenty to think about and if the rookie keeps this up I believe he starts the season in this spot.
  • Aaron Donald's holdout from the Rams remains indefinite. McVay is trying to stay in touch with him but the Rams don't expect to see him for a while. "Our conversations have been good," McVay said.
  • Cooper Kupp was more or less unstoppable in Tuesday's practice. The second-year receiver was a go-to guy for Goff and the chemistry was obvious in the 11-on-11 unscripted portion. The Ravens tried lining up slot corners and regular corners and even hybrid linebackers on him but to no avail. In general, he was a matchup problem and with Robert Woods and Brandin Cooks on the outside, and the Rams hopeful for a breakthrough season for tight end Tyler Higbee, Kupp remains in line for a bevy of targets. Goff and he have something special going on.
  • The Rams secondary has the makings of being elite. Its size leaps out at you on the practice field, as well as its tenacity and speed. The secondary created turnover after turnover against Baltimore's starting offense on Tuesday, including picking off Joe Flacco several times in the red zone. "Today was a real challenge for us communicating with a little noise (music blared from the speakers during 11-on-11s) and a lot of different looks," said corner Aqib Talib, one of several new parts on that defense. "We got to communicate on the fly, fast, so I think it was like a quiz for us … and we did a helluva job." Toggling between watching two fields, I didn't have a full count of how many interceptions the Rams got on the day, but Talib asserted, "we got like five."
  • Questions remain about how what amounts to a group of mercenaries will gel on this defense but Talib said he and corner Marcus Peters are hitting it off well. Both have worn out their welcome in past stops, and the Rams have them here on short-term contracts hoping to find lightning in a bottle. "We good," Talib said. "That's my homie. We good." During a long season, this dynamic could go a long way to determining the team's fate with so many players in L.A. for one year on more-or-less prove-it contracts. "The guys we've added have all been smart, conscientious football players," McVay said of a group that includes Peters, Talib and Ndamukong Suh.
  • Ravens rookie tight ends Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews are often featured on packages with the starting offense and their size and outside ability provide some matchup problems and new looks. Some of those sets are ripe for running the ball, or allowing for one of the tight ends to keep deep. Hurst made several diving catches and big plays during these two practices and he should be an immediate contributor if he can avoid nagging injuries. Andrews flashed as well. "He's really made a huge jump," offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said of Hurst, "both in-line and with his route running."
  • Baltimore has been desperate for youngsters to emerge to compliment Terrell Suggs and Matt Judon with the pass rush. A year after barely playing, Timmy Williams is taking big steps in that regard. He was a disruptive force in team drills and someone who will be featured quite a bit in the preseason. A natural edge presence at Alabama, his breakthrough would be a major development for this defense. "He's becoming the player we thought he was going to be when we drafted him," defensive coordinator Don Martindale said of the 2017 third-round pick, who he believes "is going to be a premier pass rusher."
  • Keep an eye on the ball when it comes out of rookie quarterback Lamar Jacksons hand. His spiral has consistently had a wobble to it throughout camp – most notable on deeper stuff – and he continues to adjust to the NFL football. "It's still a work in progress," Mornhinweg said.
  • There were no real incidents between these teams during two spirited practices in some extreme heat. The past history between Talib and the Ravens' new receiver Michael Crabtree never boiled over despite them being lined up against one another quite a bit, and there was nothing extracurricular save for some brief pushing and shoving and some trash talking.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Cooper Kupp was more or less unstoppable in Tuesday's practice. The second-year receiver was a go-to guy for Goff and the chemistry was obvious in the 11-on-11 unscripted portion. The Ravens tried lining up slot corners and regular corners and even hybrid linebackers on him but to no avail. In general, he was a matchup problem and with Robert Woods and Brandin Cooks on the outside, and the Rams hopeful for a breakthrough season for tight end Tyler Higbee, Kupp remains in line for a bevy of targets. Goff and he have something special going on.
  • The Rams secondary has the makings of being elite. Its size leaps out at you on the practice field, as well as its tenacity and speed. The secondary created turnover after turnover against Baltimore's starting offense on Tuesday, including picking off Joe Flacco several times in the red zone. "Today was a real challenge for us communicating with a little noise (music blared from the speakers during 11-on-11s) and a lot of different looks," said corner Aqib Talib, one of several new parts on that defense. "We got to communicate on the fly, fast, so I think it was like a quiz for us … and we did a helluva job." Toggling between watching two fields, I didn't have a full count of how many interceptions the Rams got on the day, but Talib asserted, "we got like five."
  • Questions remain about how what amounts to a group of mercenaries will gel on this defense but Talib said he and corner Marcus Peters are hitting it off well. Both have worn out their welcome in past stops, and the Rams have them here on short-term contracts hoping to find lightning in a bottle. "We good," Talib said. "That's my homie. We good." During a long season, this dynamic could go a long way to determining the team's fate with so many players in L.A. for one year on more-or-less prove-it contracts. "The guys we've added have all been smart, conscientious football players," McVay said of a group that includes Peters, Talib and Ndamukong Suh.

Wow. That’s a glowing report!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
what the freak is this guy talking about? stupid journos.

These reporters that lack ability will look back to the Eagles and their self proclaimed dream team and it’s failures and assume the Rams are set up for the same problems. They forget a couple very important points.

First off it was the ego of the Eagles players that gave them that nickname. You don’t see any of the guys on our defense being hat stupid.

Most importantly is the Rams actually have a real Defensive Coordinator to lead these players. The Eagles put an offensive line coach in the DC role. There’s a huge difference between the two and it means everything having a likely Hall of Famer in charge on the defensive side.

Comparing us to the Eagles back then is not only stupid its lazy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
These reporters that lack ability will look back to the Eagles and their self proclaimed dream team and it’s failures and assume the Rams are set up for the same problems. They forget a couple very important points.

First off it was the ego of the Eagles players that gave them that nickname. You don’t see any of the guys on our defense being hat stupid.

Most importantly is the Rams actually have a real Defensive Coordinator to lead these players. The Eagles put an offensive line coach in the DC role. There’s a huge difference between the two and it means everything having a likely Hall of Famer in charge on the defensive side.

Comparing us to the Eagles back then is not only stupid its lazy.

giphy.gif

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Hope we only play Goff one series at most tomorrow. I don't mind keeping our #1's with Mannion the next series to see what he's capable of in favorable circumstances.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff to Kupp . . . get used to it!
One poster from last year very confidently said Kupp would have limited success this year......and that Goff was a "trailer"...:death: