Watching Chris Simms SB LVI Recap again

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Like many of you, I've watched a lot of post-Super Bowl shows from the media pundits putting in their two cents and generic details of what and why the game played out the way it did.

Whether or not you like his style, Chris Simms (IMO) did one of the better unbiased breakdowns of Super Bowl LVI.

His in-depth version of the game was without a bunch of hot takes and the would've, could've, should've analysis most of the other NFL media talking heads spouted off about.

(Simms also had one of the longer detailed recaps with some quality film review clips). You could tell he watched the game more than once...

I actually appreciated Simms perception and recap of Super Bowl LVI. He's not a Rams fan and his version of the Super Bowl deserves some respect if you watch the entire video.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty7eEEcSpPc

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Warming up to Simms a bit. He certainly was biased against Goff.
Definitely warming up to him. He was always a Stafford fan and I respect that from a former QB. I have called him the simmple son of a simmple man more times than I can count, but he's OK these days. Life as a Rams fan is gooooood. Bout to head out in my Rams beach button up now to repreeeessseeennnnt.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I really liked how he said if any team was getting screwed by the refs it was the rams. Then just pointed it out on plays on the last drive. The mentions how the bengals don't get the interception in the end zone if the DB isn't holding Van on the play. And while I am on this subject. How can anybody whos team scored a 75 yard TD and everybody can see the penalty, then whine about the call against Kupp.

BrooklynRam

Rookie

He was NOT biased against Goff. He simply rated him as he saw him (18-24 range) while us Ram fans (myself DEFINITELY included) hoped against hope he was wrong. Turns out Simms was right, WE were wrong.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Like many of you, I've watched a lot of post-Super Bowl shows from the media pundits putting in their two cents and generic details of what and why the game played out the way it did.

Whether or not you like his style, Chris Simms (IMO) did one of the better unbiased breakdowns of Super Bowl LVI.

His in-depth version of the game was without a bunch of hot takes and the would've, could've, should've analysis most of the other NFL media talking heads spouted off about.

(Simms also had one of the longer detailed recaps with some quality film review clips). You could tell he watched the game more than once...

I actually appreciated Simms perception and recap of Super Bowl LVI. He's not a Rams fan and his version of the Super Bowl deserves some respect if you watch the entire video.

This is a GREAT watch. Very in depth on a few plays.

I haven’t even finished it. Just want to say its worth checking out. Fast forward until the Rams coverage starts which is maybe 5min in.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Cowherd didn’t do a full game review but he had a very sensible take on how it played out also. Colin is my favorite to listen to.

Simms is okay but he’s got a bit of a silver spooner thing going on.

dang

Legend
He was NOT biased against Goff. He simply rated him as he saw him (18-24 range) while us Ram fans (myself DEFINITELY included) hoped against hope he was wrong. Turns out Simms was right, WE were wrong.
Sorry both you and Simms were wrong. Goff was only occasionally elite and occasionally dreadful but overall he is a good NFL QB. I’ll debate that all day every day.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cowherd didn’t do a full game review but he had a very sensible take on how it played out also. Colin is my favorite to listen to.

Simms is okay but he’s got a bit of a silver spooner thing going on.

Silver spoon perception or not, Simms nailed it in his SB LVI review.

I used to get annoyed with him because he teamed up with Florio. When Simms is on his own, he's a better NFL insider than most of the other NFL media hacks imo.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

Exactly my thoughts @BrooklynRam. I was one of the biggest Goff fans and Simms/Florio and many of the other critics used to annoy the crap out of me with their rankings and perception of Jared.

Simms was mostly right on his evaluations of our #1 overall pick. It took me until the middle of the 2019 season and end the of the 2020 season to get on board that I was wrong. I have no ego when admitting I was wrong about Rams players.

Goff was better than most of his naysayers believed, but he was also not as good as his biggest fans (ME Included) believed he was. McVay knew better than all of us and that's why he traded for Stafford. Nothing else much to speculate about this topic.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Sorry both you and Simms were wrong. Goff was only occasionally elite and occasionally dreadful but overall he is a good NFL QB. I’ll debate that all day every day.

Of course, Goff was occasionally elite @dang.

Occasionally got him traded for Stafford and resulted in a Rams SB victory.

No need to be sorry and accuse posters of being wrong.

Follow the lead of McVay and enjoy the future success of this team.

dang

Legend
Of course, Goff was occasionally elite @dang.

Occasionally got him traded for Stafford and resulted in a Rams SB victory.

No need to be sorry and accuse posters of being wrong.

Follow the lead of McVay and enjoy the future success of this team.
Simms take on Goff felt very personal and biased. Goff deserved to be called out for poor decisions, untimely turnovers, inability to orchestrate enough comebacks. But when you constantly treat an above average to good QB like he is a below average/poor QB - I disagree. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but my honest opinion is that Goff is a good QB (maybe never very good to elite). Like I said I will debate that all day every day as it’s my honest opinion. Feel free to express yours.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Simms take on Goff felt very personal and biased.
I agree completely.

Simms was one of a group of commentators/analysts who quickly concluded that Goff was a "bust" after his seven-game rookie-season; and they looked really bad when Goff led the highest-scoring offenses in the NFL in 2017 and 2018, throwing for 60 TDs against just 19 interception and having a record of 24-7 as the Rams won two Division Titles.

These commentators needed to minimize Goff's contributions to give their 2016 evaluations some credibility; and they reveled in Goff's struggles/decline in 2019 and 2020.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Bingo. That's why many around here didn't like him and its understandable. We all defended Goff a lot at times. But I agree ultimately he was right. Some of his takes end up missing but for the most part I dont mind him at all. It's Florio that is so fucking annoying I cant even stand to hear his voice.

This Super Bowl breakdown was excellent tho. I love going back and watching the game and all the postgame media. It wasn't that long ago but it already feels like ages to me IDK why lol.

tempests

Hall of Fame
He was NOT biased against Goff.
Matter of perspective on that one. Numerous times in his top 40 QB rankings, I saw him name inferior players ahead of Jared. Nick Foles, Sam Darnold, Daniel Jones, come on.

Simms has his subjective biases just like any other analyst. Among other things, he's consistently regarded Carson Wentz as being better than Tom Brady. Even Kurt Warner called him out for that one. I don't go for hypersensitivity and passive aggressiveness, and Simms has been both those things when people challenge him.

ROD actually gave Goff his due when he played well. "We" weren't wrong to do that.

BrooklynRam

Rookie
I agree completely.

Simms was one of a group of commentators/analysts who quickly concluded that Goff was a "bust" after his seven-game rookie-season; and they looked really bad when Goff led the highest-scoring offenses in the NFL in 2017 and 2018, throwing for 60 TDs against just 19 interception and having a record of 24-7 as the Rams won two Division Titles.

These commentators needed to minimize Goff's contributions to give their 2016 evaluations some credibility; and they reveled in Goff's struggles/decline in 2019 and 2020.

Yeah, and then when Goff followed those 2 years up with poor years in 19 and 20 Simms had him correctly rated in high teens/ low 20's and that's where he sits today (and probably for evermore) so, again, Simms was right, WE were wrong. What you do over a 2-year stretch in a new Offense the League hasn't seen, with the best player in the Universe (Gurley) at the time, and a Genius Head Coach does NOT get to be WHO you are. Goff is a 20-something in the League Quarterback. Just a guy...

dang

Legend
Yeah, and then when Goff followed those 2 years up with poor years in 19 and 20 Simms had him correctly rated in high teens/ low 20's and that's where he sits today (and probably for evermore) so, again, Simms was right, WE were wrong. What you do over a 2-year stretch in a new Offense the League hasn't seen, with the best player in the Universe (Gurley) at the time, and a Genius Head Coach does NOT get to be WHO you are. Goff is a 20-something in the League Quarterback. Just a guy...
So I looked it up. Simms had Goff ranked #19 QB before the 2019 season. After Goff had an overall very good year and helped direct the Rams to a Super Bowl. That’s the bias I am referring to. Not 2022 but going back to 2019.

BrooklynRam

Rookie
So I looked it up. Simms had Goff ranked #19 QB before the 2019 season. After Goff had an overall very good year and helped direct the Rams to a Super Bowl. That’s the bias I am referring to. Not 2022 but going back to 2019.

Yes, and he was correct. Simms rates the QUARTERBACK,not the TEAM the quarterback PLAYS for. In other words, Matthew Stafford on a SHIT Lions team in 2018 is STILL better than Jared Goff who went to a Super Bowl. See how that works?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
We're talking about two different topics.

You're focused on Goff; and I mostly agree with your assessment / opinions on him.

My focus is on the men and women that make a living providing their opinions (real or created for viewer-impact). Often they fail to address prior comments that don't play-out as expected; or, if they do, they minimize the result or come-up with an alternative explanation. When things play-out as they thought, these same individuals revel in their brilliance ... some posters do the same thing.