Wade Phillips talks McVay, Stafford, and the Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regarding that first 49ers game, I’m not going on just stats. AD had an off-night. I saw it, announcers saw it, plenty of ppl saw it. He just wasn’t generating much pressure at all that game. We all knew that was an aberration, hardly ever happens. As I said, I agree that criticizing AD seems pretty stupid because even when he’s off, the D has to account for him.

I don’t believe McVay is as good at what he does as AD. AD is in contention for best DT ever. But I definitely think McVay can be a Hall of Famer.

Maybe McVay won’t get that immunity from critics until after he’s brought home a championship.
First and foremost. I love McVay. I am happy we have him. He certainly turned our franchise around after that horrible stretch.

That being said....the same level of respect as a guy who is already a hall of famer? Possibly the best player to ever suite up? I agree with you McVay is special but doesn’t he need to put together a list of accomplishments and continue to be special for an extended time (which is much longer in coach years than player years) in order to be given the level of treatment you’re asking for? Like some decade long playoff runs or sb victories? You’re essentially asking a fan base to treat him like BB. He isn’t beyond reproach like AD because he hasn’t had the same level of success as ad in terms of the coaching equivalent. We treat AD like an all time great because he literally is. McVay might be one day if he continues a similar trajectory for like 10+ more years.

none of that was meant to bash McVay btw. Wouldn’t trade the dude for the world going forward....just saying come on....let em earn it.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yes, I do indeed believe that there are a few here who actually consider the prospect of moving on from McVay. And "with all due respect," those people are idiots. ;)

I would def agree with this.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This thread....
McVay is unanimously on the Mt Rushmore of Ram coaches here IMO. And league wide he's a top 5er at worst. His track record of a coaching tree speaks for itself.
The idea that there is "bashing" of him and even better, that some want him replaced? Good grief, that's some serious straw-manning. He's one of the best things to happen to this franchise since I became a fan in the 70's.
Is he above criticism though? Of course not. If criticism is "bashing", and wants him gone, then McVay himself is a primary culprit... How many times have we heard him say "I could do better, I have to do better"
Wade was a great mentor and filled a very important role, but the game had passed him by. I'm sure if his ego would allow him to take a lesser role than that of a DC, he'd have a job in a minute. But there is only one Romeo Crennel, that guy is a pure savage. Just loves coaching and doesnt need/want any fancy title. Wade would make a hell of an LB coach/asst HC

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regarding that first 49ers game, I’m not going on just stats. AD had an off-night. I saw it, announcers saw it, plenty of ppl saw it. He just wasn’t generating much pressure at all that game. We all knew that was an aberration, hardly ever happens. As I said, I agree that criticizing AD seems pretty stupid because even when he’s off, the D has to account for him.
9ers have an excellent LG who handled AD for the most part. That plus the scheme designed with AD in mind with the edges. This is why I say we don't beat them if we don't get better at setting that edge vs speed. But going back vs Shanny for the most part the scheme does a good job of neutralizing him.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
This thread....
McVay is unanimously on the Mt Rushmore of Ram coaches here IMO. And league wide he's a top 5er at worst. His track record of a coaching tree speaks for itself.
The idea that there is "bashing" of him and even better, that some want him replaced? Good grief, that's some serious straw-manning. He's one of the best things to happen to this franchise since I became a fan in the 70's.
Is he above criticism though? Of course not. If criticism is "bashing", and wants him gone, then McVay himself is a primary culprit... How many times have we heard him say "I could do better, I have to do better"
Wade was a great mentor and filled a very important role, but the game had passed him by. I'm sure if his ego would allow him to take a lesser role than that of a DC, he'd have a job in a minute. But there is only one Romeo Crennel, that guy is a pure savage. Just loves coaching and doesnt need/want any fancy title. Wade would make a hell of an LB coach/asst HC
I think it’s accurate to say there’s at least a tiny minority of posters who are at least “considering the possibility” of firing McVay if things don’t go well. For example, here’s @OntarioRam from a couple months ago, on Dec 31:

“I wouldn't advocate for a replacement this off-season if we miss the playoffs. I think that would be a bit too premature. Again, I just think it would warrant putting McVay on the hot-seat for 2021-22. If we miss the playoffs 3x in a row with this roster, McVay has to go.”

There are a couple other posters who have expressed similar views, but not many. Maybe Ontario has changed his mind now, who knows.

In Ontario’s defense, he only advocated for firing McVay if he missed the playoffs 3 times in a row. But even still...IMHO, premature speculation that involves the idea of “fire McVay” is frankly kinda ridiculous. I’m sure Ontario is a loyal fan, but IMHO it’s just silly to even “go there.”

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it’s accurate to say there’s at least a tiny minority of posters who are at least “considering the possibility” of firing McVay if things don’t go well. For example, here’s @OntarioRam from a couple months ago, on Dec 31:

“I wouldn't advocate for a replacement this off-season if we miss the playoffs. I think that would be a bit too premature. Again, I just think it would warrant putting McVay on the hot-seat for 2021-22. If we miss the playoffs 3x in a row with this roster, McVay has to go.”

There are a couple other posters who have expressed similar views, but not many. Maybe Ontario has changed his mind now, who knows.

In Ontario’s defense, he only advocated for firing McVay if he missed the playoffs 3 times in a row. But even still...IMHO, premature speculation that involves the idea of “fire McVay” is frankly kinda ridiculous. I’m sure Ontario is a loyal fan, but IMHO it’s just silly to even “go there.”
Yeah, McVay maybe being on the hot seat if they miss the playoffs 3 years in a row, (especially after just making the playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 years) is a far cry from the OP's suggestion that there has been a lot of McVay bashing.
When teams lose, its seemingly either the HC, QB or defense's fault, in heat of the moment type posting. After a good old cool down, logic kicks in and whether agree with moves that were made or not, the overwhelming majority fully supports McVay, just like Wade appears to do

Malibu

Pro Bowler
The Rams are consistently winning under McVay/Snead's stewardship vs the bad 15 year run we had from bg of 2003 -2017. It is natural be critical bc there is a great deal of hope every season and when we don't win the Super bowl or get to the Superbowl we all feel management are doing the wrong things.

Me I call out the good and the bad I am agnostic on my feelings even though I love the Rams and want them to win e dry game like you all do.

Bad - I was pissed they didn't tag JJ3, they didn't look harder at Isaiah Wilson, the way they managed the resignings of Gurley/Goff/Cooks then letting Goff go just as his new deal was about to kick in, blaming everything last season it felt like on Goff instead of addressing the OL etc.

Good - At the same time there are tons of amazing signings in FA, the draft, consistent playoffs, coaches, winning culture etc.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
d6fyejs-3f87971f-078f-4148-952c-4135252e2857.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But I also feel Wade got a raw deal, as if the move to Staley saved the Rams last season. "Thank God Wade is gone!" I don't buy it.
I'm with you on this. He still could have put up a great defense for us if they would have focused in and gotten him the right pieces. That's the thing with a great DC, you know what they can do when they have the players. Say what you want about Wade but his defense was money on our SB run in 2018. Also you don't have to worry about teams wanting to steal him away.

But I also get McVay wanting a specific defense so he can learn it. I get that Wade is old. And all that. But all I really care about is the product on the field at the end of the day. Morris will have a good group hope he kills it and gets himself a head coach shot.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm with you on this. He still could have put up a great defense for us if they would have focused in and gotten him the right pieces. That's the thing with a great DC, you know what they can do when they have the players. Say what you want about Wade but his defense was money on our SB run in 2018. Also you don't have to worry about teams wanting to steal him away.

But I also get McVay wanting a specific defense so he can learn it. I get that Wade is old. And all that. But all I really care about is the product on the field at the end of the day. Morris will have a good group hope he kills it and gets himself a head coach shot.

It's a shame AD was injured, although I still doubt we beat the Packers.

AD/Suh/Fowler was the kind of pass rush needed for the playoffs.

They were definitely better suited to win in the playoffs