Vermeil on Rams v AZ: "Defense wasn't good enough; no choice but to stick with Bradford."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wanted them to go for it on 4th and 1. I had the same thinking as Mr. Motes. If the Cards get the ball back it is on the one yard line and the Rams D was still getting push and making plays. One run stuff or sack really would change the momentum. The Rams offense lacked momentum for most of the game. At that point it was like the fake punt against Seattle to me. You had to do it.
Let's say they failed to convert and then the defense got a safety like you say. Then the Rams not only have to score a TD, but also convert on a 2-point conversion to tie. So, in essence, they would have to score consecutive TD's right after they failed to get one in the first place.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's say they failed to convert and then the defense got a safety like you say. Then the Rams not only have to score a TD, but also convert on a 2-point conversion to tie. So, in essence, they would have to score consecutive TD's right after they failed to get one in the first place.

12 - 3 turns into 12 - 5.

That leaves 7 points.

MrMotes

Starter
We were down 12-3, 7+2 gets a tie which is one advantage of the FG, 7+3 gets a win.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. My bad. I don't know why I was thinking they needed a TD to tie.

It's all academic anyway. The way Hill was misfiring and the complete lack of rushing yards by the rbs a td never looked likely.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Disagree. Yes they *did their job*, but that's not what he's saying. He's saying that in a game where both defenses are very stout, and you have a backup QBs out there, you're not going to win the game on offense. AZ didn't win on offense. They won off the foot of their kicker. Did you think they did well stopping the run when AZ trotted out backups to backups at RB? Let me be clear here, I'm not saying the defense didn't do their job. They just didn't do it up to their capabilities, and that's what Vermeil and several Rams defensive players said as well. There's no *blame* to be distributed individually, because the whole team shares some of it.
Totally disagree. Give the Rams the Arizona offense and Arizona the Rams offense and the Rams win that game. Put the Rams defense against the Rams offense and the offense doesn't score a point. The Rams defense gave up 12 points, they did there job. It's like a pitcher that gives up 2 runs. The pitcher did his job, the offense did not do their job.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

As stated it would be a tie. My point is that the get the 2 and immediately get the ball back. Instead they got 3 and had to kick. Maybe the Safety is not likely but Fisher would be putting the game in the hands of his best unit.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I was mortally disappointed they didn't go for the TD, even though my personal philosophy is never to put the game on the line that soon I think I'd have gone for it.
HOWEVER I am not so arrogant as to believe my decision would be the correct call,that is what bugs me about the practice of second guessing play calling,it assumes the play the kibitzer says "should" have been called works perfectly ,it always works in your mind.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Totally disagree. Give the Rams the Arizona offense and Arizona the Rams offense and the Rams win that game. Put the Rams defense against the Rams offense and the offense doesn't score a point. The Rams defense gave up 12 points, they did there job. It's like a pitcher that gives up 2 runs. The pitcher did his job, the offense did not do their job.
Again. Nobody's saying they didn't do their job. They just didn't do it as well as they could have.
If anyone has issue with that, take it up with Chris Long, because he's the one who said it.