Vermeil on Goff, Bradford, Wentz, and qb development.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

KDS73

Rookie
Doesn't sound like he's confident in Goff's chances with the Rams. At least not under the current regime anyway.

***************************************************************************************************************************

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ays_Wentz_gives_Eagles_shot_at_greatness.html

by Mike Sielski, Inquirer Columnist

On the 114-acre piece of Chester County land that has been his home since 1987, a place that can feel as far away from football as a man can get, Dick Vermeil still found over the last three weeks that he just couldn't help himself, that he had to dive into the data to better understand the excellence of Carson Wentz.

The kid couldn't be this good this fast, so Vermeil started digging through record books and statistics to compare Wentz's first three games with the Eagles to the debuts of the NFL's greatest quarterbacks. Joe Montana? No. Troy Aikman. Hell no, not with that 1-15 Cowboys team. Dan Marino? No, not even him. None of them had played this well this early, and perhaps the closest comparison to Wentz was one from Vermeil's own experience: Kurt Warner and the 1999 St. Louis Rams.

"Where Wentz and Kurt Warner are alike is their personality profile, their temperaments," Vermeil, who turns 80 on Oct. 30, said in a phone interview Friday. "Nothing at all, at any time, flustered Kurt Warner. From the very first step he took on the field in the league opener in 1999, [offensive coordinator] Mike Martz coached him as if Kurt had been playing in the league for 10 years."

You keep hearing the same compliment paid to Wentz, and for Vermeil, still a sentimental hero here for coaching the Eagles to their first Super Bowl, it's just one of several similarities between this year's Eagles and the '99 Rams that are too obvious to miss. Just like these Eagles, those Rams were coming off a losing season - they'd gone 4-12 in 1998 - and lost their starting quarterback during the preseason, only the reason for that change was far more traumatic than the Eagles' decision to trade Sam Bradford to the Vikings for a first-round draft pick.

When Trent Green went down with a season-ending knee injury, Vermeil said, the Rams fell into "immediate depression." And it was only when Warner - with that humble background as a grocery-bagger and an Arena Football League quarterback, with all of 11 pass attempts in his NFL career - revealed himself to be football's answer to Roy Hobbs that the Rams realized how good they still were and might yet be.

"No way I could believe he could end up being what he was," Vermeil said. "We didn't know he could play at the level to be the most valuable player of the league. With Carson Wentz, when the team got rid of Sam Bradford, it wasn't emotional depression. They got rid of a kid they knew could play, and they had a guy there more ready to play than anyone thought.

"He appears to have those attributes: poise, confidence, toughness. There are certain people who, when they get in a game, it slows down for them, and there are certain people who, when they get in a game, the game gets faster. Carson Wentz, the game slows down for him."

For all the praise that Wentz deserves, Vermeil was quick to credit the Eagles' quarterback politburo - coach Doug Pederson, offensive coordinator Frank Reich, and quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo - for creating an environment in which Wentz could thrive. It was an approach that Vermeil himself was successful in implementing throughout his coaching career. Ron Jaworski with the Eagles, Warner with the Rams, Green with the Kansas City Chiefs: These quarterbacks had their best, most productive seasons under Vermeil, and he believes at his core that, when it comes to identifying and developing great quarterbacks, the secret is simple: Either you got it, or you don't.

In that way, he looks at the Eagles and sees everything his '99 Rams team did right - and everything the Rams' more recent teams have done wrong. There was Bradford, whom the Rams drafted with the No. 1 pick in 2010, whose five years in St. Louis saw him tear his left ACL twice and deal with constant change on the offensive coaching staff. There was Nick Foles, who lasted one awful season before the Rams released him and Andy Reid and the Chiefs signed him to be a backup. Now there is Jared Goff - the No. 1 pick in this year's draft, the only player picked ahead of Wentz - who can't get off the bench in Los Angeles, who in Vermeil's mind is more likely to be a bust just by being with the Rams than he would have been with the Eagles.

"No question," he said. "First off, unfortunately for the Rams, how many offensive coordinators have they fired and quarterbacks have they gone through? Sam Bradford is going to prove he can really play. He can take a team to the Super Bowl. But within that environment, the supporting cast was never good enough to show that he was worthy of that first pick. . . . There are organizations where a quarterback would have to run over them with a bus for them to recognize he can play."

Dick Vermeil's voice was rising over the phone now as he made that assertion. In fact, we had already said goodbye, but he had called back because he was so set on making that point: that circumstances and coaching matter, that a promising young quarterback in a bad situation has little or no shot to succeed. But by the time we hung up a second time, the old coach was at least confident in this thought: The first NFL team he was in charge of doesn't have that problem now.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Guess we will have to wait and see about Goff.

I'm of the DV opinion that its going to be difficult for him given the level of current coaching with the Rams.

Athos

Legend
Preach it Dick. Preach it.

The environment can influence QBs. Sam never got adequate protection, never had adequate weapons, never had a friendly system suited for his skills, had Spags ruin him with that 2-second 2-14 BS. Had the worst of the worst OCs.

Now Goff. With coaches unable to to get him in the system. His full abilities won't be revealed with Fisher.

Bradford 2.0 so far and in the bad way.

rdw

Pro Bowler
In Fisher's defense... People want to give Mannion a shot and he has been developed by Fisher. Bradford was playing very well until hurt in the Carolina game.
I'm not saying we're Max-Q by any stretch but saying we're running a Fisher-Price offense and can't develop a QB is just a wee bit hyperbole IMO.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I think it's fair to say that Martz had way more to do with Warner's development than DV. In fact... without Martz, I don't believe DV would have lasted another year with the Rams.

A QB whisperer he is not.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
DV is my favorite Rams head coach for what he brought us. But his strength was not QBs and evaluation thereof. Not gonna bash on him, because I love the dude, but he doesn't know much more on this than anyone else tbh.

Re: Wentz the real story is Philly giving up 9 ppg. THAT is the indicator you want for postseason success. Doubt it continues, of course, but we'll have to wait and see. Their DC is very good, and they have talent, so I do think they'll be top ten end of season which means playoffs.

Re: Goff for the bazillionth time let's wait and see. When you restack a roster you need a QB to lead them. Has Fish had that? Dude gets a lot of flak from everyone, including other coaches, but I'm not sure he's the guy he's portrayed to be. Let's wait and see what happens once Goff knows the protections and Fish is confident he is ready.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It reiterates what I have been hoping for; a real, experienced OC.

I think Boras is good. Scheme is there and he's using the defensive tendencies against them, it's about execution now IMO. Go back and look at the Cards game:

2:11 left in 1st Quarter. Tavon wide open underneath on the move, Case flat misses him. They follow that play with the TD to Quick, going back where earlier Quick had a hand up and Case ignored him but this time they hit it.

10:23 2nd Quarter. 3rd and 12. Rams offense in 11 personnel he lines up TE & two wideouts left, Britt right. Tavon comes out of the backfield and Peterson who has him in man all game long to that point stays on him but so does honey badger (who it looked like had offensive backfield responsibility with his eyes on the RB from presnap on), springing Britt for big gain.

9:00 2nd Quarter. 3rd and 9. Rams get it out quick on a nicely designed play for Tavon, and it's there man. But Higbee whiffs on his block by backing in with his butt wtf.

I could go on. Seriously. I really like what I'm seeing from Boras. Run game had some close ones too yet again, where one or two guys not doing their job ruined the design. But the design is there IMO.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I have been saying this for awhile, circumstance and location matter a lot. Wentz on the Rams wouldn't be starting just as he wouldn't if Bradford was not traded) Having said that, what the Rams are doing seems to be about what Fisher wants and nothing to do with how good Goff is or his inability to "Crack" the starting lineup.

I think that Goff could have torn it up in practice and the preseason and Fisher would still have him on the bench.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I think it's fair to say that Martz had way more to do with Warner's development than DV. In fact... without Martz, I don't believe DV would have lasted another year with the Rams.

He also drafted Tony Banks. Not #1 overall, but still...

"No question," he said. "First off, unfortunately for the Rams, how many offensive coordinators have they fired and quarterbacks have they gone through? Sam Bradford is going to prove he can really play. He can take a team to the Super Bowl. But within that environment, the supporting cast was never good enough to show that he was worthy of that first pick. . . . There are organizations where a quarterback would have to run over them with a bus for them to recognize he can play."

Kinda' like you knew what you had with Warner, eh Dicky?
Lay off your product.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Love Dick Vermeil like an uncle.

I am fully convinced that Goff will be fine once he learns the Pro Style system; the skills that are apparent will translate when that happens.

I am also convinced that the Rams staff will do a fine job with him.

Lastly, there is almost no comparison with the current team and the team that Sam Bradford was drafted to.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How can you not listen to what Dick Vermeil has to say? I so respect the guy, but his judgement that Fisher (by inference) ruined Sam Bradford is a crock of BS. Sam Bradford already was, what he was, when Fisher came to town.

Nick Foles was dumped along with a 2nd rounder for Sam, and we found out the reason for that last year. Foles is a back up this year, and probably always will be, from now on.

So Steve McNair sucked? If you look at the supposed failures, you have to look at this obvious success. What about Keenum? Sure his stats blow, but the guy is a winner with us..6-2. I think Vermeil should make some more wine, drink even more and enjoy life.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Vermeil has said, in the past, of Martz's, play calling," He thought he was Nutz, but let him do his thing anyway" I think we need a OC like Martz, If not Martz himself!! Which I would LOVE!!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Vermeil has said, in the past, of Martz's, play calling," He thought he was Nutz, but let him do his thing anyway" I think we need a OC like Martz, If not Martz himself!! Which I would LOVE!!

Dave... I love me some Martz too. I always will.

I have a short note he wrote to me framed in my office. He thanked me for my Ram Fandom. Cool story how he decided to write it for me... he didn't have to do it, he did it because he is a cool guy. I'll always have a soft spot for Brudda Martz.

Bruce2980

Starter
I remember reading back in the day that Vermeil wouldn't stop giving Tony, " the I'd rather play basketball in my back yard than be a staring NFL QB," Banks second chances. He was given the ultimatum to get rid of him. Vermeil wouldn't give up on that drunk bum of a running back Lawrence Philips either, who'd show up drunk at games and be put on an IV until after the games had started. He almost ruined Isaac Bruce's career from over training and over practice too. So I have no faith in this mans opinion about developing Goff or anyone else for that matter. Yes, he was a part of the GSOT, but lets face it, he had help and he wasn't the master mind of any of it by any stretch of the imagination. Vermeil, thanks for the Super Bowl win.

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well......technically Vermeil didn't last another year with the Rams.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Interesting take from Dicky V. Can't say that he's speaking from experience, because he didn't develop anyone in Philly. In fact, Jaworski had only one good season (multiple bad ones before it, and multiple bad ones after). Then he drafted Tony Banks and would have rode him until he was fired, because he liked the guy so much. He was full-on Brokeback with Banks and for whatever reason, he couldn't quit him. Warner? ALL of the credit for that offensive turnaround goes to Martz. But hey, he's entitled to his opinion. Fisher did okay by selecting McNair, who eventually became the 2003 NFL Co-MVP and a guy who helped them get to a Super Bowl a few years earlier. Of course I've already heard that this is an anomaly, and McNair was simply that good & didn't need any developing. But then again I also heard that McNair wasn't anything special, so who the hell knows what to believe anymore.

I think I'll just let this unfold and watch history write itself.