Under the radar Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Most under the radar Ram?

• Jared Cook

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Janoris Jenkins

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Michael Brockers

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Chris Givens

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Benny Cunningham

Votes: 12 21.4%

• Total voters

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Okay... Maybe there are others I could put into this poll... But let's discuss this group of players.

Generally speaking, when talking about "what we need to get to the next level", we speak about new draft picks or other new additions. But this list of players seems to be getting less attention right now... Yet... they were all the buzz in 2013's offseason.

Jared Cook
Last years big FA weapon. An athletic freak at TE who put on a show week one. While inconsistent, having Sam back will certainly open up more options for Cook to come up big in 2014. Could this be the player that transforms our offense as we hoped this time last year?

Janoris Jenkins
4 TD's as a rookie, and was in the conversation for DROY. 2013 was "a lost year" for Jenkins. The off-coverage scheme gave Jenkins aggressive style fits. He never seemed to get it together. Now... With Greg Williams on board, could Jenkins once again enter the conversation as a top tier CB?

Michael Brockers
Michael was steady as a sophomore... Clogging up the inside with his massive frame and (while a modest 5.5 sacks) displaying the ability to hurry the QB. But generally speaking when talking about the defense, Brockers name isn't among the first mentioned. And... With the drafting of Donald, again he slips into the background. DT's take time to groom... Could Brockers, with 2 seasons under his belt, emerge as one of the best at DT?

Chris Givens
Chris is getting some talk on the board now... But most of it is surrounded with doubt. A promising rookie year, long forgotten after a subpar 2013 in which he collected zero TD's. With Sam back, and weapons like Austin, Cook, and Britt clearing the field with more space for Givens to work... Does he surprise us in 2014?

Benny Cunningham
The Rams draft Tre Mason and suddenly Cunningham is demoted to the 3rd spot on the depth chart. Is it realistic to believe Mason will be ready to handle the protection assignments? Cunningham is now 2 seasons removed from knee surgery which is usually the magic number for recovery time. Is Benny a forgotten man right now?

FRO

Legend
Tavon for me. He was the guy everybody was buzzing about. After a slow start he started to turn it on, then he got injured. Right now not many people are talking about him. Going into his second year this guy could really take off.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tavon for me. He was the guy everybody was buzzing about. After a slow start he started to turn it on, then he got injured. Right now not many people are talking about him. Going into his second year this guy could really take off.

You didn't read the rules! :p

I didn't put Austin on the list because I agree with you. I felt he'd run away in this poll... So I kept the names a tad more debateable.

FRO

Legend
Off your list I go with Cook. The talent is there, but I soured on him last year. Maybe if Austin or Britt can establish themselves as the focal point of the passing game Cook could evolve as a great second or third option. Once defenses focused on him they took him away. He was a monster week one.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Among the choices i voted Givens. I believe he was slowed by both injury and complacency last season.

I agree with Fro though, IMO Tavon has already been written off by many as a reach in last years draft...he's too small, he's a gadget WR, he can't get open blah blah.
TA has now openly admitted that he didn't know what was going on most of the time early on last season in terms of the jump to an NFL playbook. It's a tough position to transition to from college, and i expect him to have a much more consistent year in 2014. He was explosive last season, but he'll be ready to go from the get go this time around and i think defenses will sleep on him a bit early in the season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Off your list I go with Cook. The talent is there, but I soured on him last year. Maybe if Austin or Britt can establish themselves as the focal point of the passing game Cook could evolve as a great second or third option. Once defenses focused on him they took him away. He was a monster week one.

That's who I voted for... For the reasons you mention. He's gonna burn teams when they start to shift away their attention to other weapons.

But I was torn between all of these guys.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Among the choices i voted Givens. I believe he was slowed by both injury and complacency last season.

I agree with Fro though, IMO Tavon has already been written off by many as a reach in last years draft...he's too small, he's a gadget WR, he can't get open blah blah.
TA has now openly admitted that he didn't know what was going on most of the time early on last season in terms of the jump to an NFL playbook. It's a tough position to transition to from college, and i expect him to have a much more consistent year in 2014. He was explosive last season, but he'll be ready to go from the get go this time around and i think defenses will sleep on him a bit early in the season.

Yeah, Tavon's gonna make the doubters eat crow. No question in my mind.

There is NOBODY in the league that cuts like Austin.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
My pick is Lance Kendricks. Sam has a great connection with him, and remember he had a 500+ yard year in 2012. Hes got nice ability as a blocker and a receiver, and I can see him making a big jump this season. If I recall correctly, he wasn't at full strength coming off a knee scope and then Bradford went down, phasing him out of the offense.

Oh, and its a contract year for him. Now is the time to make big money.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Out of the bunch it's Chris Givens....IMO losing Bradford hurt Givens the most because Clemens was very limited due to his arm strength...Also history tells us some WR's do struggle in their sophmore years. With Bailey being gone for the first four games the Rams need Chris Givens to step up and IMO he will with Kenny Britt drawing attention (coverage) away from the former Demon Deacon.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Brockers! Watch the big dog eat!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Gotta go with Brockers. I take under the radar to mean lower profile, yet important cog in the machine. He doesn't stand out as much, but he's a very important piece in the middle of that defense.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Givens. No doubt in my mind.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Well ... guess I'll step outside the box here ... Corey Harkey. Guy did an excellent job as the FB/Move TE for us. Blocking and better hands than I expected. Honorable Mention.... Jake McQuaide. The guy has been SOLID as our LS.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The 2014 Benny Cunningham version now two yrs now removed from knee surgery...is now way below the radar but I have a super gut feeling we will all be seriously out of our minds surprised! Who knows it may be like the mid to late 70's with Lawrence McCutheon, Cullen Bryant , Jim Bertelsen & John Cappelletti all ready to rumble!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Well ... guess I'll step outside the box here ... Corey Harkey. Guy did an excellent job as the FB/Move TE for us. Blocking and better hands than I expected. Honorable Mention.... Jake McQuaide. The guy has been SOLID as our LS.

Harkey is a beast. Everytime he caught the ball he always seemed to get a first down or score. And hes a fantastic blocker, really helped revitalize the run game. He's definitely an important cog in the machine.

Really like our TE group. Can see Justice Cunningham having a nice year as well if he makes the roster, he was pretty good with the Gamecocks.

Speaking of tight ends, has anybody heard how Mason Brodine is doing at TE? His development really intrigues me.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
Cunningham with Robinson and Saffold leading the way? Look out!