Tutu Atwell {updated} only ball carrier in NFL to hit 21 mph twice

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Here is my problem with the how they are using Tutu. In practice everyone including McVay raved how well Tutu was playing, we even have videos of a few of his plays he made. But during the preseason games they treated Tutu like a starter, not letting him really get much playing time. Now during the regular season McVay is not using Tutu. Now most of you here seem like you want to blame Tutu for that instead of the coaches. Using that same reasoning they should also get rid of McCutcheon. This is why as in the case of Robinson it’s not always the players fault. Sometimes coaches rely the same old thing.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm thinking Skow and Powell pushed Tutu back to the WR5 spot. I like the way Powell is used for those quick WR screens. He's got the quickness and more power than Tutu.

A fun fact I didn't know before today. In the final game of the 2018 season Powell caught 6 passes for 103 yards from Matt Stafford.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I'm thinking Skow and Powell pushed Tutu back to the WR5 spot. I like the way Powell is used for those quick WR screens. He's got the quickness and more power than Tutu.

A fun fact I didn't know before today. In the final game of the 2018 season Powell caught 6 passes for 103 yards from Matt Stafford.

I like Powel as our punt returner. He doesn't fumble and he's got quickness to gain some yardage with the threat of taking it to the house.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Here is my problem with the how they are using Tutu. In practice everyone including McVay raved how well Tutu was playing, we even have videos of a few of his plays he made. But during the preseason games they treated Tutu like a starter, not letting him really get much playing time. Now during the regular season McVay is not using Tutu. Now most of you here seem like you want to blame Tutu for that instead of the coaches. Using that same reasoning they should also get rid of McCutcheon. This is why as in the case of Robinson it’s not always the players fault. Sometimes coaches rely the same old thing.
It is Tutu's fault if he didn't beat out Powell and Skowronek for the number three receiver spot. The guy can't help his size, but it seems McVay has concerns with his ability to run clean routes without the defense getting their hands on him. Jourdan alluded to this. Maybe if the Rams get into a game where they lead comfortably we will sed Atwell get a chance, but it seems like McVay has gone all risk averse and just wants to chew clock once the Rams get a decent lead.

MachS

Hall of Fame
If Stafford doesn't overthrow him and hits Tutu, he has a 60+ yard TD last game. Had defender burned by 3-4 yards easily.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If McVay isn't going to use him, then the pick just keeps looking dumber and dumber with every game. Maybe it was a Snead pick. Snead loved Tavon too. While watching him at a private workout he said it was like throwing the ball to a lightning bug. He can be blinded by athleticism sometimes.

It seems like Powell has beaten Tutu out for the lightning bug role. Powell is an explosive athlete, he's not just really fast.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
It is Tutu's fault if he didn't beat out Powell and Skowronek for the number three receiver spot. The guy can't help his size, but it seems McVay has concerns with his ability to run clean routes without the defense getting their hands on him. Jourdan alluded to this. Maybe if the Rams get into a game where they lead comfortably we will sed Atwell get a chance, but it seems like McVay has gone all risk averse and just wants to chew clock once the Rams get a decent lead.
My problem is if McVay thought Tutu needed to work on his route running then why have him sit with the rest of the starters during the preseason games? Instead he after doing that he’s not running any plays that include Tutu. If he had stuff to work on why didn’t McVay stress that during the preseason?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My problem is if McVay thought Tutu needed to work on his route running then why have him sit with the rest of the starters during the preseason games? Instead he after doing that he’s not running any plays that include Tutu. If he had stuff to work on why didn’t McVay stress that during the preseason?
Maybe it’s not about his route running but more about the possibility of teams getting physical and pushing Atwell around. Could McVay be wanting to slowly test the waters?

Or maybe McVay doesn’t want show all of his cards, and doesn’t want the Niners focused on Atwell so he didn’t use him much in the first three games and is going to use some plays specifically designed to get Atwell some attempts.

I guess it’s still early in the season. There could yet be a lot to unfold.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I'd have loved for Stafford to be able to connect with Tutu on that bomb. And it's great Tutu looks so good in practice, but until he can do more to get on the field during the game, make the best of the opportunities he has, etc. He's really just a wasted roster spot to me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
After Stafford missed Tutu on that bomb I was thinking what his catch radius must be compared to say Kupp or Robinson. I mean you can't even float a ball up for Tutu because if the DB sees it Tutu has little chance to come down with it.

Depressing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd have loved for Stafford to be able to connect with Tutu on that bomb. And it's great Tutu looks so good in practice, but until he can do more to get on the field during the game, make the best of the opportunities he has, etc. He's really just a wasted roster spot to me.
Yeah they kept extra WRs on the roster. Maybe Roger Carter could have helped a bit as a third TE/fullback.

Or keep another corner on the roster.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
They've got plans for Tutu against the whiners - they've been hiding it - saving it for this game.

(Trust me on this - you heard it here first)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They've got plans for Tutu against the whiners - they've been hiding it - saving it for this game.

So if Tutu goes off you're going to be very smug aren't you. :laugh4:

Hope you're right.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG

So, you say'n that is the similar strategy to shanahan running Lance constantly?
Make'em great - or break'em ??!!??!! :helmet:

oldnotdead

Legend
I'm tired of hearing how good Tutu looks in practice. He simply must show it in games. That deep throw to him exposed him for the gadget player he is. The WR must read the defense to know how to run his route. Tutu couldn't read the defensive coverage and that is exactly why Stafford was upset with him. Stafford's throw went to where Tutu should have been, but Tutu was running in the wrong direction. It's why they put Tutu where he belongs on the bench. Tutu needs to study film because it's obvious to me he hasn't put the time in.

IMO he's a PS level player right now. I'd play Harris before I'd waste a play on Tutu. I'm not kidding, he's flirting with bust status right now. Yeah Skowronek and Powell are clearly ahead of him and they are behind Jefferson. I'd put him behind Harris as well. I'd rather promote Harris to the active 53 and send Tutu to the PS.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After Stafford missed Tutu on that bomb I was thinking what his catch radius must be compared to say Kupp or Robinson. I mean you can't even float a ball up for Tutu because if the DB sees it Tutu has little chance to come down with it.

Depressing.

When a wr has 5 yards on the trailing db catch radius shouldn't come into the equation.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When a wr has 5 yards on the trailing db catch radius shouldn't come into the equation.

Stafford definitely should have hit him. But I think it does matter.