CAMP REPORT Tue Aug-07 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
D3480EDB-B0F9-4D4D-A717-1E9B90352397.jpeg

https://www.therams.com/news/10-observations-from-rams-first-joint-practice-with-ravens

10 Observations from Rams First Joint Practice with Ravens

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — The Rams arrived on the East Coast Sunday evening and were well rested for their first practice with the Ravens on Monday afternoon. Here are 10 observations from the first joint session of the week.

1) The teams began practice on separate fields for stretching and some individual work. With the weather hot and humid — temperatures were at 90 degrees, with a head index of just over 100 degrees — Los Angeles’ players said afterwards they needed a little time to acclimate to the more sticky climate. The crowd was raucous as well, especially considering it was a sweltering Monday afternoon.

2) During that separate period, the Rams’ defense worked on regular individual drills while Los Angeles’ offense ran through some plays against air. Those were likely plays they would end up running during the 11-on-11 sessions with Baltimore later on.

3) The teams began work with red zone 7-on-7 drills — Los Angeles’ offense vs. Baltimore’s defense on one field, and the Ravens offense vs. the Rams defense on another. On the first play for the L.A. defense, Flacco bailed out of the pocket to his left after his initial reads were covered. He eventually threw a pass for a touchdown, eliciting cheers from the crowd. Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips disagreed with the way the crowd interpreted the play, however, turning around to yell, “Sack!” With the strong coverage on that first rep, he was probably right.

4) Linebacker Bryce Hager flashed a bit in the early goings of practice as well. The fourth-year linebacker out of Baylor recorded a pass deflection on a swing route during 7-on-7. Then he had a nice thump on a run play during 11-on-11. Both plays came against Baltimore’s second offense with Hager playing with the Rams’ second defense.

5) Linebacker Ramik Wilson also made an impact during the first 11-on-11 drills. Playing next to signal-caller Cory Littleton, Wilson first made a run stuff on a play, coming up to hit the running back right at the line of scrimmage. Two plays later, he nearly had an interception after tipping a ball up at the line of scrimmage. Throughout camp, Wilson has shown a proclivity for getting his hands on the football.

6) The Rams defense generally performed well in that segment of 11-on-11, with Aqib Talib breaking up a pass over the middle to wide receiver Michael Crabtree. Then cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman broke up a pass over the middle as well.

7) The Rams worked on their punt return against the Ravens between 11-on-11 periods. L.A. had returner Pharoh Cooper back, but only ran through a full punt return a few times. There was more work on fielding directional punts, two Rams players attempting to block a Ravens gunner, and going after a punt for a potential block. Baltimore head coach John Harbaugh was on the field to watch the drills, which makes sense as he was a longtime special teams coordinator for the Eagles.

8) Los Angeles’ offense did well during a third-down period. Going 11-on-11 with the Ravens’ defense, quarterback Jared Goff connected with wide receiver Cooper Kupp on 3rd-and-short with a quick out route to the right. Goff then hit wide receiver Robert Woods on a pass over the middle for a first down on 3rd-and-long. Woods was wide open on the play.

9) Kicker Greg Zuerlein hit four of his five attempted field goals against the Ravens, the longest coming from 51-yards out. Reserve kicker Sam Ficken continued what’s been a strong camp, nailing all three of his attempted field goals. Ficken’s kicks were from 43, 46, and 48-yards out.

10) Finally, the offense ended practice with a two-minute drill. In the scenario, Los Angeles started at its own 20 with 1:11 on the clock needing a field goal. Goff engineered a successful drive, finding wideouts Brandin Cooks, Woods, and Kupp to move the ball down the field effectively. Zuerlein nailed a long field goal to cap the drive, giving the offense a win.

The second-team offense fared just as well, with quarterback Sean Mannion connecting with wide receiver Josh Reynolds and Ficken hitting his field goal for a successful drive.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.therams.com/news/quotes-notes-8-6-18-first-practice-with-ravens-proves-beneficial

Quotes & Notes 8/6/18: First Practice with Ravens Proves Beneficial
  • Head coach Sean McVay praised many of those who worked “behind the scenes” for his team to be able to participate in joint practices with the Ravens during training camp.
  • The Rams traveled over 2,000 miles from LAX to Baltimore on Sunday morning, with a larger than normal roster prior to cuts at the beginning of September.
  • The Rams will practice once more with the Ravens on Tuesday before a Wednesday walk-thru and Thursday evening’s first preseason game for the Rams and second for the Ravens.
  • The Ravens played in the preseason opening ‘Hall of Fame Game’ last Thursday night, defeating the Bears 17-16.
  • While the Rams have had a scuffle-free training camp thus far in Irvine, there was some question as to whether or not tempers might flare in joint practices with the Ravens.
  • McVay said he made it clear to his guys what the “intent” of these practices are and plans to avoid injuries at all costs.
  • All eyes were on corner Aqib Talib and Ravens’ wide receiver Michael Crabtree, who have had on-field confrontations in the past.
  • Monday’s practice was split between offense and defense, forcing McVay mostly focus on the Rams’ offense on one field. Los Angeles’ defense — squaring off against Baltimore’s offense — was far enough away from McVay that he really couldn’t tell what was going on, especially since he serves as the offensive play-caller.
  • McVay was complimentary of the Ravens’ defense, specifically of linebacker C.J. Mosley and safety Eric Weddle.
  • Quarterback Jared Goff seems to be getting comfortable at the start of his second season leading McVay’s offense.
  • On Saturday, Goff had a noticeably strong practice wrapping up the pre-Baltimore stretch of training camp.
  • Early on in Irvine, Goff expressed how excited he was to face a challenging defense daily. On Monday, Goff seemed equally up to the challenge of running his offense against an unfamiliar defense in the Ravens.
  • The weather was a hot and humid topic following Monday’s practice, with temperatures in the 90s and humidity unfamiliar to Californians.
  • While it’s been hot in Irvine, Goff and a few others commented on adjusting to football in Baltimore’s sticky summer heat.
  • Defensive tackle Michael Brockers spoke about the benefits of joint practices on Monday afternoon.
  • Monday marks the first time Brockers and the Rams have faced an opponent not wearing Rams colors since January’s loss to the Falcons.
  • This week’s practices should provide the Rams’ defense a better idea of what to expect when it comes to games that count.
“[A] lot of people behind the scenes did an excellent job setting it [practice in Baltimore] up — really very appreciative of coach [John] Harbaugh and his group and what a great job they’ve done in accommodating us. It seemed like it was a great first day guys were able to get a lot out of it — a lot of respect for this organization and how they’ve completed the last handful of years..”-HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

“We wanted to be able to get a lot of good work in today. I thought coach Harbaugh’s guys did a great job of competing smart from what it seemed like as well, and so did our guys. But that was definitely the message — we don’t need any of that [fighting in joint practice], especially because of some of the things that can happen injury-wise, things like that. And [we] always talk about what’s the intent of coming out here to practice and it’s to get better and go against a really good football team and that’s what we felt like we got today.”-HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

“It really is [difficult to only watch offense]. But that’s where you have such great confidence in [defensive coordinator] Wade [Phillips] and our defensive staff as a whole. We have always talked about it — you know when you have great coaches like we do, if you do a situation where it’s a two-spot drill, just with the involvement that you have offensively, you feel like you can get some good work in. And then I’m excited to watch the tape and kind of be in tune with what happened [on defense].”-HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

“It felt good Saturday. I think as time goes on you just continue to get more comfortable. I think we have put in all of our installs now and we are starting to rep the same plays over and over again and our good plays over and over again — starting to figure out what we like, what we are good at. And when that happens, I think you become more comfortable with it and stuff starts to roll a little bit better.”-QB JARED GOFF

“Yeah, it’s definitely different for me, being a native of California and being out here. But we have played in games, you know Jacksonville is the one last year that you look at that was really humid like this. It can happen, I’m sure we will have a game this year or multiple games in that kind of temperature — so we have to deal with it and I thought today was good to feel that.”-QB JARED GOFF

“It kind of boosts our confidence a little bit. When you go against your team so much, you obviously know each other — you know each other's playmakers and stuff like that. Going against another team and you get stops it kind of makes you feel like it’s for-real ball — it’s what it’s going to look like on Sundays. So getting out there, getting some stops on third down, getting some sacks, and the secondary breaking up some passes — it felt great definitely for us.”-DT MICHAEL BROCKERS

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bryce Hager, all I do is downplay him and all Hager continues to do is make plays. Ironically I was in St. Louis in 1997 watching the players walk in (separated by that movable fence) and I recognized his father Britt Hager, I yelled out, hey Britt you're playing well on special teams and he came over and we chatted for several minutes, I think he was pleased somebody recognized him.

After he left, people came up to me and asked if I was related to him because of the conversation about playing for the Longhorns and everything else. So you think I would give his kid a break. I recall one poster (not sure who it was) questioned me in a post, what I had against Bryce, when he filled in last year, again IDK, but Hager continues to just make plays.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everything I've heard here in Maryland is they the Rams got the better of day one . Let's hope day two is the same. And injury free

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This is very encouraging. I read in the Baltimore paper also that the Rams really outplayed the Ravens on both sides of the ball!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sounds like Michael Brockers is emerging as team captain. (He'd be my pick to captain the whole team). McVay has let Wade Phillips have full control and say with the defense and focusing himself on the offense. Hagar reminds me a bit of J Lauranitus, not that quick or fast, but has a nose for the ball. Ramik Wilson, along with Littleton, Barron, Ryan Davis and Micah Kiser will make everyone quit fretting about the LB corps. by the end of pre-season.

Myles Simmons still not proof reading his articles. Mis-spelled words and grammatical errors, but eh, at least we got a report.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So....rookie John Franklin-Meyers is winning vs veteran OLers, beating them around the edge and with the bull rush, without knowing their calls or being familiar with their timing....

I think we all hoped that someone was going to come from out of nowhere to help give us more rush from the edge.

Exciting. Cant wait to see this young guy play.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Bryce Hager, all I do is downplay him and all Hager continues to do is make plays. Ironically I was in St. Louis in 1997 watching the players walk in (separated by that movable fence) and I recognized his father Britt Hager, I yelled out, hey Britt you're playing well on special teams and he came over and we chatted for several minutes, I think he was pleased somebody recognized him.

After he left, people came up to me and asked if I was related to him because of the conversation about playing for the Longhorns and everything else. So you think I would give his kid a break. I recall one poster (not sure who it was) questioned me in a post, what I had against Bryce, when he filled in last year, again IDK, but Hager continues to just make plays.
Do us all a favor and down play the rest of the team as well.(y)

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
I wasn’t sure what to expect. After reading the reports, hats off to both teams and their respective staffs for what seems like a very productive 2 days.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I like Hagar, I think it should be him starting instead of LIttleton but what do I know? Lets see how they do in Preseason

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think we can all agree at least that our depth at ILB is pretty solid.

*Now I'm gonna go bite my nails over depth at OLB*

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rough start
I hope the Ravens play better Tuesday against the Los Angeles Rams than they did Monday, especially on offense.

I stuck with the Ravens offense throughout practice Monday and the Rams pretty much dominated. The Ravens broke off a few decent running plays, but the Rams smothered the passing attack.

Quarterback Joe Flacco was constantly off the mark and at times seemed too concerned about the Rams pass rush even though they couldn’t hit him. The Ravens had no long ball. They basically threw short, underneath stuff, and the timing was off on a lot of those patterns.

Maybe they were holding something back or maybe they were just trying to counter the Rams pass rush. The Ravens didn’t play with a lot of energy. In fact, they looked more like the team that had made the trip across the country to practice instead of the Rams.

The Rams clearly sent a message. They were a better, stronger football team and after about 90 minutes they slowed the intensity. It was mission accomplished.

“I thought we did fine,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. “It was pretty solid. It was just OK. It was a work day.”

The Rams have a lot of physical specimens on their team. They look good getting off the bus...
By Mike Preston-contact reporter, Baltimore Sun
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-rams-observations-20180807-story.html

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sounds like the run game continues to look great, which is crucial and of course a natural continuation of a plus run game last year where I hope they improve in year two.

Had to chuckle a bit about the Ravens' article noting their offense looked good in 7v7. I mean, if it doesn't you got big probs.

IMO the Ravens are fortunate that they're not going to see Goff on Thursday night.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I think we can all agree at least that our depth at ILB is pretty solid.

*Now I'm gonna go bite my nails over depth at OLB*
Probably by the time the regular season starts the OLB depth will work itself out, as we will have Longacre at full strength, and Okoronkwo should be in a position to be worked into the rotation. So, breathe, relax, and all will be fine, I hope.:eek:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Haha harbaugh goes from we did fine to pretty solid to just ok, in a matter of seconds.